HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 7:56 PM
Master and Commander

Awesome stuff for Dallas!
That huge water fall feature is pimp, I think its a glorious item to showcase a dense living breathing neighborhood with a water feature worthy of being the tallest waterfall in Texas lol!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 8:11 PM

I hope this gets built. I hope ALL of this gets built. Dallas has a bad history with twins.

http://www.dallasing.com

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 10:05 PM

^^^^^^^
All of the projects you posted images of were from the go-go days of the 80's Dallas building boom. The first towers for each of the three projects were built but not the second. It would have been incredible if the three sets of twins had happened!

But there are some major differences between then and now.

The 80's Dallas building boom was heavily speculative in nature with many towers being built with no lead tenants. After several years of that occurring, it ultimately led to significant overbuilding of the overall office market in both Dallas and Houston.

When the double whammy of the simultaneous oil and gas and savings and loan downturns occurred the leasing dynamics for the office market changed for the worse.

And the three 80s' Dallas projects you mentioned were exclusively for office space.

Fast forward to today. The Dallas office market is not overbuilt. If anything, it is actually tightening to the point that there is beginning to be a scarcity of new state-of-the-art Class "A" or "AA" office space available. For new projects, signing a major lead tenant and/or securing significant pre-leasing is the norm today unlike the 80's.

Job and population growth in Dallas is among the greatest in the nation. Corporate relocations to the Dallas metro are occurring at a dizzying pace. Residential valuations are at all time highs. Retail is booming. Dallas is very diversified in its corporate ranks and the city and its metro are not overly reliant on one industry over another, further bolstering Dallas' stellar growth.

Another major factor is the Harwood Forum project is mixed use without relying solely on office.

Harwood Forum is "build to suit" residential, hotel, retail, and office. The opportunity is spread among several elements without a sole reliance on the office component.

From the renderings it suggests that the top sections of the two supertalls could possibly be hotel and/or residential.

One tower might house the hotel component and the other residential with the connecting skybridge providing common amenities to be shared between hotel guests and residential occupants. The middle and lower portions of each tower would probably be office with retail anchoring the first two or three floors.

The precise allocation between office space, hotel, residential, and retail is to still be shared by Harwood.

Another major factor is Harwood International, the developer, has an incredibly impressive track record in Dallas and has built a burgeoning and hugely successful series of office, residential and retail developments in the Uptown portion of Downtown Dallas over the last decade or longer. Over time Harwood has delivered and is delivering on every single project it has announced as part of its master plan.

There is no reason to believe they will not be as eminently successful with their "crown jewel" project of Harwood Forum as they have with their previous Downtown Dallas highrise projects to date.

Your point is well taken but the dynamics of today's commercial and residential market in Dallas are very different than during the 1980's and are underpinned by a highly diversified Dallas economy that is literally on fire.

Worse case scenario, if only one of the two supertalls of 1,080 feet in height were built, the Dallas skyline would certainly be better off for it!

Last edited by skys the limit; Aug 30, 2015 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 1:21 PM

Not a fan of the architecture at all but they'll certainly have a dramatic effect on the skyline if built.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcolo View Post
I hope this gets built. I hope ALL of this gets built. Dallas has a bad history with twins.

There was also a twin-tower proposal in the 1960s; I think it spanned Main Street.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:48 PM
Verticle

Look. Let's stop being naïve. These will be built if the economics support it. PERIOD! Right now, D is on a roll and big companies are moving in right and left as well as 100,000 people a year to the metroplex. And Dallas is NOT a mid-size city (whoever said that is a moron). It's the 4th largest in the US. Do your homework. This is a huge project though. The Spire hasn't seemed to be able to get even 1 of their buildings off the ground and they've been trying to for 5 years. 2 Arts is pretty much dead in the water as well. IF and when Deep Ellum takes off, I think the east side of the city will then change. Right now the central growth is Uptown, Victory, Design and West Dallas...with a nod to central core growth centered around renovation of existing buildings. And we don't want to be Boston, Seattle, New York, blah, blah. Dallas is made up of distinct districts and neighborhoods...each with its own different vibe. I've lived in New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, Salt Lake and Miami. They are all unique. As is Dallas. We don't need to be somebody else. And if you ever came to Dallas and left feeling it was a tumbleweed town...then you must have stayed in your hotel room with the windows closed, or, in Palo Duro Canyon. From Downtown, to McKinney Avenue, to West Village, to Design District, to Cedar Springs, to Trinity Groves, to Bishop Arts to Klyde Warren Park...they are all PACKED!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcolo View Post

I knew about the first two, but I had no idea that BOA Tower was supposed to be a twin...!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiSpartan View Post
I knew about the first two, but I had no idea that BOA Tower was supposed to be a twin...!

Source / article

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 3:30 AM

It's crazy how awkward BOA looks with the extra parts of he pyramid on the roof.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
It's crazy how awkward BOA looks with the extra parts of he pyramid on the roof.
If I remember hearing correctly, they were lopped off to appease the FAA with Love Field and all.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
If I remember hearing correctly, they were lopped off to appease the FAA with Love Field and all.
That's not true about the FAA. The top floor was not taken out, the entire top was simply done different from what the model shows. The model was a preliminary and as we know it was not the final design, as you can see, it was way short of the 72 floors, and the stripes are gold for both towers between the floors. The third pic above (dallasings) showing both together is wrong, the twin tower should be flipped and yes this one was to be in golden stripes between the floors.

Last edited by DFW; Sep 2, 2015 at 10:15 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 5:46 PM

As a Houstonian, I'm in full support of this. It's high time the Big D did something to make Houston jealous. I wouldn't mind a competitive supertall boom one bit.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 6:24 PM

Keep in mind the FAA proposal is the developer seeking approval for maximum height allowance.

Many times developers do not built to the maximum allowed height.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 11:30 PM
Here and There

Dallas

Dallas is beautiful. We drove through last fall and toured the downtown, you have lots of interesting skyscrapers and developments. Good luck with the project.

Ken in Calgary, Alberta

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 12:22 AM

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-TownChris View Post
This is from 10/20, link no longer works.

Quote:
* NOTICE OF PRESUMED HAZARD **
The Federal Aviation Administration has conducted an aeronautical study under the provisions of 49 U.S.C.,
Section 44718 and if applicable Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations, part 77, concerning:
Structure:
Building HI FORUM TOWER
Latitude:
32-47-23.00N NAD 83
Longitude:
96-48-25.00W
Heights:
420 feet site elevation (SE)
1080 feet above ground level (AGL)
1500 feet above mean sea level (AMSL)

Initial findings of this study indicate that the structure as described exceeds obstruction standards and/or would
have an adverse physical or electromagnetic interference effect upon navigable airspace or air navigation
facilities. Pending resolution of the issues described below, the structure is presumed to be a hazard to air
navigation.
If the structure were reduced in height so as not to exceed 378 feet above ground level (798 feet above mean sea
level), it would not exceed obstruction standards and a favorable determination could subsequently be issued.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 9:29 PM

There are other buildings that are closer to Love Field that are higher. Bleu Ciel for example is under construction and it got approved for 450 ft. This one would be 4 blocks further away from Love field. They should certainly appeal. A maximum of 500 ft seems about right.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 10:04 PM

Best solution: shut down Love Field.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Best solution: shut down Love Field.
That'd only cost somewhere north of $500mil, to be conservative.

That said, this is under further review, so we'll see what happens next year.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 11:58 PM
DENNAB

This building would be 1080 feet and they want it chopped down to 378 when there is already a 921 foot building (not too much shorter than 1080) downtown?

The FAA is a joke, how about pilots just not fly planes into buildings the same way they don't just fly them into the ground or mountains. I can understand if a building is very close to the airport but this is in the middle of a city. Freakin' c'mon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals