HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 8:40 PM
Dryer lint inspector

That pic of the Key Tower looks like it was taken from the Terminal Tower.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aderwent View Post
Jealous here that Cleveland's tallest happens to be one of their most attractive buildings while one of Columbus' ugliest buildings happens to be its tallest:

source: wikipedia
I like this building well enough. It reminds me of a few in Boston and certainly embraces its verticality. Leveque Tower is the real star of Columbus though. I actually used to say the Columbus skyline resembled a less dense version of Boston's financial district skyline, up until about 2015. Since then Boston has boomed enough where that's no longer the case.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Cincinnati and Dayton are not even close to be part of the same CSA. Cleveland and Akron are locked on similar definition since the 1980’s. And of course, the distance. The former are much further away.
I see - 54 vs 40 miles. Driving between each Ciny seems more connected to Dayton with urbanity... middletown, etc are large enough that there are no commercial gaps. I would imagine Dayton inclusion in the media market is really the reason why there are Major League sports in cincy...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 7:05 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
I see - 54 vs 40 miles. Driving between each Ciny seems more connected to Dayton with urbanity... middletown, etc are large enough that there are no commercial gaps. I would imagine Dayton inclusion in the media market is really the reason why there are Major League sports in cincy...
You are correct that Cincinnati and Dayton are now, basically, seamless in urbanization versus Cleveland and Akron which has a large national park between the two. But Cincinnati and Dayton are entirely separate markets, not dissimilar to San Antonio and Austin. Dayton certainly supports the Reds (as does Kentucky, half of Metro Indianapolis and Columbus) but it does not support the Bengals like you'd think. A recent survey showed Metro Dayton is split three ways between the Browns, Steelers, and Bengals.

Akron does share a market with Cleveland, though I think Akron-Canton would/should be its own market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Don’t forget Canton in the medium cities:

Dayton: 800k
Akron: 700k
Toledo: 600k
Youngstown: 500k
Canton: 400k

Nor the small cities, which fit the same pattern of population distribution:

Lima: 200k
Mansfield: 200k
Springfield: 100k
Sandusky: 100k

This whole dynamic is very similar to South Carolina (albeit on a smaller scale in SC), where the three major cities are roughly comparable (Greenville, Charleston, Columbia) and there’s a number of smaller places bringing up the rear (Myrtle Beach, Spartanburg, Hilton Head) and a third tier (Sumter, Florence, Anderson). That said, Charlotte de facto functions as South Carolina’s primate city and its three cities are roughly comparable to Asheville, Fayetteville, Greensboro, etc. with Raleigh playing the role of Beta for the entire region.
I thought of the Carolinas in general as similar to Ohio with what you pointed out. Glad I'm not the only one.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 7:09 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I like this building well enough. It reminds me of a few in Boston and certainly embraces its verticality. Leveque Tower is the real star of Columbus though. I actually used to say the Columbus skyline resembled a less dense version of Boston's financial district skyline, up until about 2015. Since then Boston has boomed enough where that's no longer the case.
I don't see the Boston comparison at all aside from Rhodes Tower resembling a taller version of One Beacon Street as Columbus' skyline is linear like Atlanta's (High Street = Peachtree) while Boston's CBD is more compact like a Baltimore or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
That pic of the Key Tower looks like it was taken from the Terminal Tower.
It is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It’s the reverse… 6th is largely the deadest spot in downtown at most hours of the day, days of the week, and weeks of the month.
Well that's a shame. I can confirm Broadway in Nashville is still Broadway'n.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
I don't see the Boston comparison at all aside from Rhodes Tower resembling a taller version of One Beacon Street as Columbus' skyline is linear like Atlanta's (High Street = Peachtree) while Boston's CBD is more compact like a Baltimore or something.
Imagine a half-as-dense version of this, minus the lowrise/midrise buildup surrounding the towers. It was a similarly scaled blob mainly between ~400'-600' until Boston finally started building a bit higher/flashier.

Boston skyline by Maciek Lulko, on Flickr

Boston Skyline by Bill Cobb, on Flickr

Speaking of Atlanta, look at how far across the main portion of the Boston skyline now stretches. I compared Columbus to our financial district exclusively (right side of the pic) because of the similar height and form of the main towers (until 2016 which started Boston's growth spurt). Columbus as a city may have more similarities to Atlanta, but as a skyline it has practically none.

IMG_0229 by David Z, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 2:08 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I'm still not seeing it. The Columbus skyline, like Atlanta, is along a linear street with 95% of the tallest buildings along High Street. Architecturally and in height, Atlanta and Columbus differ but the linear skyline point remains. Boston's CBD is still quite bulky/"squat" overall even with the new towers while the Back Bay continues to fill in. Again, I see the comparison more with Baltimore than with Columbus.

https://classics.osu.edu/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 4:20 AM
them bones

My issue with the Rhodes Tower deck is that it's only 3 sided, and the one view that it cut off is the one view that you want...towards LeVeque. I can verify that it was open to the public as of last April...

Key Tower is the total stunner in Ohio, though the Central Trust Tower in Cincinnati is really nice and under conversion currently.

COL098 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

COL099 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

COL104 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
If you like brutalism (for me sometimes yes, sometimes no) its a solid tower. I tried to go to the observation deck in October 2021 but it was closed because of a) COVID/staffing shortages and b) renovations. Not sure if it was renovated, but at the time, entering the lobby was like stepping backwards into 1974. There's also that goofy (oxidized?) statue of James Rhodes carrying a briefcase in front of the entrance, facing the statehouse.

As for Cincinnati, I've made no effort to hide my disdain for Queen City Square's tiara. I like the building itself, but good god that ornamental nightmare...

Key Tower is one of Pelli's better designs.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 5:27 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

FYI, there is a view of LeVeque (westside) from the Rhodes Tower, straight in front of the observation elevators, though folks always dismiss it as the window is much smaller than the other three sides.

https://www.columbusmonthly.com/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
SF's Salesforce Tower is the rightful holder of Cali's tallest title, IMO.

That wimpy little stick poking out the top of Wilshire Grand......give me a break.
I enjoyed an afternoon on the 73rd floor of Wilshire Grand today and took a couple pics of the wimpy little stick:

The views were pretty good:

The real tallest in Los Angeles:

The Oscars are broadcasting live from over there (not that I care):

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 1:49 PM

^nice pics. (they don't show up here for me but i found the URLs when quoting your post) i wasn't aware wilshire grand had an observation deck. will have to check that out when i visit, alongside the one atop library tower.

Last edited by cabasse; Mar 12, 2024 at 2:15 AM. Reason: WHILSHIRE!?!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 6:08 PM
E pluribus unum

Okay cool, I'm glad I'm not the only one who still considers the Library Tower to be LA's tallest.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 6:27 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Library 100% the tallest in LA...as shown in this pic I took a few months ago...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
^nice pics. (they don't show up here for me but i found the URLs when quoting your post) i wasn't aware whilshire grand had an observation deck. will have to check that out when i visit, alongside the one atop library tower.
It's an open-air restaurant/bar/lounge on the 73rd floor called Spire 73. If you want a table right at the edge (you do) there's a $60 per person minimum Sundays through Thursdays, and $80 per person on Fridays and Saturdays. It's worth it on a clear day.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 1:28 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Well that's a shame. I can confirm Broadway in Nashville is still Broadway'n.
That’s pretty much been the case since the 1970s for Austin. It’s active on weekend evenings.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 2:01 AM
Great White Norf

[QUOTE=JManc;10162269]Library 100% the tallest in LA...as shown in this pic I took a few months ago...

You guys have never been near the top?
So glad I took advantage of the Skyslide when it existed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions