HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 10:09 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Photos by Fryguy, 06/27/2018
Lookin' good!!!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 4:08 PM
James

THE CROWN IS HERE

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
THE CROWN IS HERE

HELLO! YOUR MAJESTY!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 5:20 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 7:26 PM
Meh

^haha

That's cool. I'm going to be in San Antonio in less than 2 weeks, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it (and taking photos of it).

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 12:53 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
lol

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:54 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
It could be worse. The show has all kinds of weird hair. I suppose the one everyone would want would be Marge to boost the height a bit. Sideshow Bob's is just weird, and Homer's is sad. lol

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:37 AM

It's too early to tell completely, and I have no issue with the height of the building, but I feel as if the crown looks too short. I see other crowns in other buildings and they seem more prominent. This one doesn't seem to be very prominent. Again, too early to tell. I guess I thought it was taller - the fixtures.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:03 AM
Meh

Quote:
It's too early to tell completely, and I have no issue with the height of the building, but I feel as if the crown looks too short. I see other crowns in other buildings and they seem more prominent. This one doesn't seem to be very prominent. Again, too early to tell. I guess I thought it was taller - the fixtures.
Based on the building elevations, the crown rises 39 feet above the main roof. The main roof is at 346 feet 9 inches, while the top of the crown pieces are at 385 feet 9 inches above the street.

In the building elevations, it shows the mechanical penthouse roof as being at 366 feet 3 inches, and the mechanical penthouse is visible between the crown pieces. You probably won't see it from the street, but from certain far off views or if you're high enough up in a neighboring building, you might be able to see the roof of the mechanical penthouse. If they had made the crown pieces about another 20 feet tall, they would have hidden it completely. Plus, that would have pushed the building's height to 406 feet. Even an increase of 10 more feet probably would have been enough to hide the mechanical roof completely. The height the pieces are at now, 40 feet, is pretty tall for a mechanical screen these days.

To make the crown pieces taller, it would have changed their shape. It would have meant that they would ultimately be longer as well, not just taller. That being the case, it would have meant that they couldn't have had 8 crown pieces since they wouldn't have fit being that they would be longer. The other option would have been to increase their degree slope and slim them up a bit, but again, that would have changed their shape as well. Thinking about that, I actually think their shape now looks better. It really truly does look like a crown. Ultimately, they could have made the crown match the Frost Bank logo exactly, which would have meant the crown pieces would have been much smaller. The Frost Bank logo has 15 "slices" to it. That's almost twice the number of the crown pieces. I'm glad they went with the design they did. I think a building with a facade to match the "slices" in the logo would have been interesting, but it would have been nearly round, and I've never really been a fan of cylindrical buildings.

I gotta admit, though, Frost Bank has one of the better corporate logos out there, and if you were going to building skyscraper based on the design of one, it would be a good one to mimic.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Based on the building elevations, the crown rises 39 feet above the main roof. The main roof is at 346 feet 9 inches, while the top of the crown pieces are at 385 feet 9 inches above the street.

In the building elevations, it shows the mechanical penthouse roof as being at 366 feet 3 inches, and the mechanical penthouse is visible between the crown pieces. You probably won't see it from the street, but from certain far off views or if you're high enough up in a neighboring building, you might be able to see the roof of the mechanical penthouse. If they had made the crown pieces about another 20 feet tall, they would have hidden it completely. Plus, that would have pushed the building's height to 406 feet. Even an increase of 10 more feet probably would have been enough to hide the mechanical roof completely. The height the pieces are at now, 40 feet, is pretty tall for a mechanical screen these days.

To make the crown pieces taller, it would have changed their shape. It would have meant that they would ultimately be longer as well, not just taller. That being the case, it would have meant that they couldn't have had 8 crown pieces since they wouldn't have fit being that they would be longer. The other option would have been to increase their degree slope and slim them up a bit, but again, that would have changed their shape as well. Thinking about that, I actually think their shape now looks better. It really truly does look like a crown. Ultimately, they could have made the crown match the Frost Bank logo exactly, which would have meant the crown pieces would have been much smaller. The Frost Bank logo has 15 "slices" to it. That's almost twice the number of the crown pieces. I'm glad they went with the design they did. I think a building with a facade to match the "slices" in the logo would have been interesting, but it would have been nearly round, and I've never really been a fan of cylindrical buildings.

I gotta admit, though, Frost Bank has one of the better corporate logos out there, and if you were going to building skyscraper based on the design of one, it would be a good one to mimic.
So you're saying some engineering went in to this design? Shocking.

It will be one of the best designed buildings in Texas, but, from many angles, will look squat, and short.

And for the people that will inevtibally say "get over the height", I will only say, don't bother. The building won't change, and neither will my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
So you're saying some engineering went in to this design? Shocking.

It will be one of the best designed buildings in Texas, but, from many angles, will look squat, and short.

And for the people that will inevtibally say "get over the height", I will only say, don't bother. The building won't change, and neither will my opinion.
I pass by this building everyday. Let me tell you, this building makes a BIG difference. We needed this building. And I feel we need more of this height and similar (300-450) before we get a 500 or 600 footer. But I wouldn't care if it happened sooner. As I thought it would, this new Frost Tower makes me appreciate the older structures in San Antonio, it fits in beautifully with downtown. A mix of old and some new.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:55 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Ultimately, they could have made the crown match the Frost Bank logo exactly, which would have meant the crown pieces would have been much smaller. The Frost Bank logo has 15 "slices" to it. That's almost twice the number of the crown pieces.
Then it would have looked EXACTLY like Bart Simpson's head!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:02 PM

I’m with both of you, in a way. It’s beautiful, stunning even in its design, and when you’re on the street next to it, it’s incredibly impressive.

But it definitely does look short and stout. Wish they’d added another 10 floors or so at least, but we’ve got to start somewhere I suppose.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:22 PM
JACKinBeantown

Frost seems to like to erect buildings that are impressive in their architecture but only above average in height.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 1:16 AM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 3:37 AM

Tall towers are built as compensation for some other perceived shortcoming. This tower looks very secure.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Tall towers are built as compensation for some other perceived shortcoming. This tower looks very secure.
🙄

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 1:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Yes, and actual shortcomings such as current and/or future shortcomings of office space and/or residential units, as well as to provide nice views from high vantage points for the people in those tall towers. Tall towers also serve to enhance the look of a city's skyline from an aesthetic perspective. But I agree, the reason you gave is one of many to build tall towers, and this tower does indeed look very secure.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
🙄

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio