HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
They're all in Winnipeg and I don't think that the MP who represents that 15km is a Liberal.
The prospect of getting federal money to upgrade Perimeter Highway (plus Headingley Bypass) is actually looking quite good then.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
They're all in Winnipeg and I don't think that the MP who represents that 15km is a Liberal.
If they decide not to twin it right away, it won't be because the MP isn't a Liberal...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
....i'm not directing my snark at you.

Who cares if people complain about loosing their access to a major highway. Its time the Province brought a highway into the 1960's.
Instinctively tried to like your post Biff (too much time on HFBoards has a downside)

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If they decide not to twin it right away, it won't be because the MP isn't a Liberal...
I have no idea if this event will ever happen. I was just pointing out who is the MP for that region and is responsible for pork delivery!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:46 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I have no idea if this event will ever happen. I was just pointing out who is the MP for that region and is responsible for pork delivery!
It’s probably better if we discuss this in the other highway thread, but...

If the tourist traffic between Winnipeg and Kenora gets out of hand, I can see it twinned.

Remember, there’s technically nothing east of Highway 12 to Sainte Anne, but you guys still twinned 101 km of it anyway. 101!

Don’t say that Manitoba doesn’t know how to blast rocks to make way for another 2-lane roadway. It did just that for Freedom Road.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 4:59 PM

^ TCH east to Kenora is more than adequate 99% of the time, even with the 2 lane stretch. But it can certainly get messy on Sunday/holiday Monday afternoons in the summer, particularly on long weekends. I've seen bumper to bumper traffic moving at a crawl in the past.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:19 PM

There's so many transport trucks now. I'll be happy when it finally gets done. Ontario is finally proceeding with their 45 kilometers on the other side of the border. It'll take a few years but it'll be great once its completed.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

And truck AADT on TCH E will only increase if (and after) CentrePort becomes something.

Ps: I hope that mentioning CentrePort will finally bring us back to topic.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ TCH east to Kenora is more than adequate 99% of the time, even with the 2 lane stretch. But it can certainly get messy on Sunday/holiday Monday afternoons in the summer, particularly on long weekends. I've seen bumper to bumper traffic moving at a crawl in the past.
The two lane stretch being only 90 KMPH says a lot about the roadway, in the trucking industry time is money and no way in this day and age that Canada's so called national roadway should be bottlenecked like it is through N. Ontario.

It's sad that so much has been spent by past govt. on frivolous things while something like twinning the whole Trans Canada never happened!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The two lane stretch being only 90 KMPH says a lot about the roadway, in the trucking industry time is money and no way in this day and age that Canada's so called national roadway should be bottlenecked like it is!
There are several spots on the perimeter that I have the slow down to 60 when loaded unless I want the entire contents of my cab in the air - or my neck broken. Very dangerous.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:00 PM

Holy crap. I missed all the open house slides! okay looking now.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:54 PM

Yes, please. Build it all. Now.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 5:23 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Yes, please. Build it all. Now.
Lol agreed. Cant believe this wasn't taken care of decades ago
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 5:26 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Only if the fiscal conservatives haven't had a louder/more dominant voice in this province, eh?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Only if the fiscal conservatives haven't had a louder/more dominant voice in this province, eh?
Baby-boomers: "We need to cut my taxes and keep spending in this province under control. How can I afford my 2500 sqft home in the suburbs, 2 mid-sized SUV's, monthly downtown parking, AND my cottage on Falcon Lake if the province keeps stealing my hard earned money?"

Also baby-boomers: "Why are clinic wait-times so bad? Why are hospital rooms so crappy and outdated? Why are the roads filled with potholes? Why are there lights on the perimeter? It's all those darn civil servants and their ridiculous gold-plated pensions. If only we could eliminate the public sector, then this province could finally do something right!"

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 6:20 PM

I just hate to be this guy. But from what I've seen in those open house boards, we're looking at billions of dollars. plural billion.

With all the service roads, connections and such, super expensive. It'll be a long time before we see anything close to that. Got to start chipping away at it. Although, seems this time they're getting it right.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 6:59 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Like we said in earlier pages, here's hoping that momentum continues after completing the 101/59 interchange.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:29 PM

A sad reality of those Perimeter plans is the province wants to down grade Portage (HWY 1) and the Perimeter to a diamond as a cost savings measure.

By making Portage into a diamond the existing bridge decking can be slightly reworked to handle six lanes of through traffic by repurposing the merge/exit lane into a through lane. If they kept it as-is there would be major reworking needed to accommodate six through lanes.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:40 PM

Much like they're doing in St. Norbert. The main line traffic appears to be funneled through to CCW at portage. Permanently downgrading the existing TCH through Headingley. Which is what they want.

There is so much information to unpack in those boards, I'll make a summary when I get some time of the interesting points. But a quick point, Wilkes and Lag getting essentially rebuilt is great in my mind. The Kenaston interchange should have a directional ramp for NB bypass to WB Perimeter. Instead of the large loop. Overall the plan is probably better than I expected and looks really good.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:59 PM

The problem with CCW/Headingley bypass replacing HWY 1/Portage Ave is it is out of scope of the Perimeter project and Portage is scheduled as "phase 1".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan