HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

ARO in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 5:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
It should be obvious to many here that using floor count as a height determiner in itself is usually bunk.
I'm sure many of us can cite 50+ floorers that easily breach that magic 1000' plateau,

If we were talking office tower, I would agree with you. But if this building is in fact in the 50 plus-story range, at best it would be a 700 footer.

However, its still in development, and I recall many other towers, including One57 and the Nordstrom tower being 50 plus-story towers at one time.

Quote:
In 1999, the rock palace’s owners were going to close it down and develop a 42-story building designed by Shuman Lichtenstein & Claman, but they canceled the plan and kept producing the lucrative music events.

To create the new tower, Algin has also proposed buying 58,214 transferable rights from the Majestic at 245 W. 44th St. and another 4,015 feet from the Broadhurst Theater at 235 W. 44th St.

Times have changed since the original plan to build a shorter tower. There is already enough space to go high if that were the plan, and the possibility of gaining more air rights could be a sign that they want to push high enough to join the current market of sky high condos in the area.

It's just a question of whether or not they think it's the right area. It's in the line of fire of both the Nordstrom and 220 CPS towers, but they could get a sliver of Central Park views if they got high enough. And its on 53rd street, same as the Tower Verre.

But is this the right site? I just don't know.

More speculation with Google earth...

The slim tower rising in the background (not One57) is the recently completed Marriot (1715 Broadway) at 751 ft, 67 floors.

A look back at Cetra Ruddy's old plans for 107 W. 57th...

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6346

Quote:
The currently empty lot at 107 West 57th Street will soon be home to one of the city’s narrowest tall buildings. Slated for completion in 2014, a mixed-use tower will rise 688 feet in the air from the modest 43-foot-wide by 100-foot-deep site. Developed by JDS Development Group and designed by local architecture firm Cetra Ruddy, the 51-story residential high rise with retail on the first four floors will fit into Midtown’s zoning envelope, its south face stepping and tapering back from the street as it ascends. The firm also designed One Madison Park, the slim tower of stacked cubes on 23rd Street.

“We wanted to create something that would carry its own weight among the Midtown towers, of which there are many,” said John Cetra, a founding partner of Cetra Rudy. In addition to the building’s slender, shard-like character, the architects have given it an active skin treatment that will catch eyes whether up close or from a distance. While the north and south facades will feature floor-to-ceiling transparent glass curtain walls, the lot-line walls, which contain the tower’s reinforced concrete structure, will be clad with dark grey stainless steel panels. The panels are rippled and perforated with a semi-random pattern of holes, which, at night, will reveal a kinetic display of light from thousands of concealed LEDs. “We’re not just exposing a wall of concrete,” continued Cetra. “It’s going to have quite a personality in and of itself. Whatever direction you see it from, it will sparkle with light.”

Containing a total of 105,000 square feet, 107 West 57th Street will have no more than one apartment per floor, including 13 full-floor units, 14 duplexes, and a four-story penthouse.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 12:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Meanwhile, as we wait to see how the development takes shape, the approval for the additional air rights is undwerway.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 3:56 AM

We've only heard "50+" which can mean 51 or 60 or 70 or 80.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 6:32 PM

I'd be surprised to see anything ultra-luxury go up here. This area is still pretty Times Squarey, with hoards of tourists and all of the bullshit that comes with them.

To be fair, I once doubted that residential buyers would want to live where Torre Verre and 432 Park are located due to the dearth of residential amenities in the neighborhood and the abundance of congestion that comes with being in a predominantly commercial area (even as compared to the relative quiet of West 57th), but that mistake came from my under-appreciation for the size of the ultra-luxury residential market for trophy properties that aren't primary residences.

The difference is, while Midtown East isn't the best place to live, it's at least architectually beautiful and has a prestigious vibe (albiet primarily for corporate tenants). This location on 52nd has neither of those things. It's one thing for billionaire tenants to withstand having fortune 500 companies (and their workers) for neighbors, it's another for them to withstand having trashy electronics stores, souvenir stands and tourists for neighbors (not to mention the noise/light pollution).

That said, I hope I'm wrong and am once again misunderstanding the demand for ultra-luxury in NYC.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2013, 7:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Minimis NY View Post
I'd be surprised to see anything ultra-luxury go up here. This area is still pretty Times Squarey, with hoards of tourists and all of the bullshit that comes with them.

To be fair, I once doubted that residential buyers would want to live where Torre Verre and 432 Park are located due to the dearth of residential amenities in the neighborhood and the abundance of congestion that comes with being in a predominantly commercial area (even as compared to the relative quiet of West 57th), but that mistake came from my under-appreciation for the size of the ultra-luxury residential market for trophy properties that aren't primary residences.

It's a changing area, for sure, but let's be realistic. Even 59th and 57th streets are clogged by tourists (check out the GM building). And you will find more outside the Tower Verre location than here. It's only a couple of blocks removed from Time Warner Center, but still questionable enough that you can't be sure what the developer will do here.

While billionaires make all the news when they purchase the top penthouses, these towers aren't really just for billionaires. So you have to ask, is this location as desirable a location as 30 Park Place? I would say it probably is, so sure you could get a tower in that range or higher.

I also think that the extra air rights are being added for just that purpose, to put more units in the air, because I don't thin 60,000 sf will make or break this tower at the ground level. But that's just my speculation. It could be just the 50-something stated.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 7:20 AM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2013/12/09/theater...ve-profitable/

Theater Subdistrict zoning continues to prove profitable

Broadhurst and Majestic Theatres’ air rights will be transferred to the Roseland Ballroom site for a residential tower.

By Lois Weiss
December 9, 2013

Quote:
The Theater Subdistrict zoning that provides for air rights transfers within an area around Broadway has enabled prominent theaters to be preserved while providing funds for other theater-related uses.

The 15-year-old zoning plan allows landmarked Broadway theaters to sell and transfer air rights within the district, and not just on the same block or across the street as with regular zoning. The subdistrict is generally encompassed by West 40th and West 57th Streets between Sixth and Eighth Avenues.

In addition to sustaining the theaters through the income from the sale of their transferable air rights, commitments can be made to use portions of the new buildings for legitimate theater purposes; there’s also a specific contribution per transferable foot that is deposited into the Theater Subdistrict Fund.

So far 473,546 square feet of transferable development rights (TDRs), commonly called air rights, have been sold and generated a contribution of $6,421,880 to the fund for an average of $13.56 per TDR.

Air rights expert Robert Shapiro of City Center Real Estate says that while the transfers within the large district have created larger buildings, they have also preserved the low-rise theaters that would otherwise have no way to monetize the value of their air rights. “These districts expand the use of the air rights from historical landmarks which can otherwise only transfer [TDRs] on the same block or across the street,” Shapiro said of air rights around the city. “It’s a commodity with an ever-increasing value as they originally sold for $85 a foot and now they are $500 a foot.”

58,214 square feet from the Majestic Theatre and 1,182 square feet from the Broadhurst Theatre are in the process of being transferred to the upcoming Roseland Ballroom residential rental proposed by Algin Management. This site runs midblock from 239 W. 52nd St. to 242 W. 53rd St. and has also merged lots with the Virginia Theatre (now known as the August Wilson Theatre) at 245 W. 52nd St.
Seems it may be a rental.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 7:50 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Mystery high-rise: New Cetra/Ruddy-designed Midtown tower
January 16, 2014

Rendering: Cetra/Ruddy

Quote:
We spy new renderings of a 59-story mixed-use tower by Cetra/Ruddy in the Theater District.

According to Cetra/Ruddy’s site, the development will measure about 468,300 square feet, with approximately 426 luxury studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments. One lucky penthouse will boast four bedrooms and “uniquely expansive views over Central Park.”

The three-story base will contain luxury retail, and the two stories above that will have 30,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor amenities for residents.

There will also be underground valet parking and a rooftop veranda with outdoor pool and lounge overlooking Central Park to the north and Midtown to the south. The building has a subtle ripply lattice effect going on; see more renderings in detail here.

So where is this mystery building? We have a wild hunch that it could be the former Roseland Ballroom site at 239 West 52nd Street. Last November, the New York Post reported that Larry Ginsberg’s Algin Management tapped CetraRuddy to design a “new 50-plus-story building of roughly 450,000 square feet, with retail at its base.”

The low-slung music venue closed with a performance by Lady Gaga in March. In 1999, the building’s owners planned to shutter the place and develop a 42-story building designed by Shuman Lichtenstein & Claman, but that proposal fell through.

No plan exam application has been filed yet at 239 West 52nd.
The tower seems to be in the right place. In the render, the neighboring building to the left of the Roseland (the one with some set-backs) looks like 1675 Broadway, right where it should be.

Renders from Cetra/Ruddy...
Architect Website: http://www.cetraruddy.com/project/midtown-tower

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Jan 16, 2014 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 8:09 PM

1675 Broadway is around 500 ft., so this is maybe 700-750 ft.?

Looks decent. Pretty much just filler at this height, but above-average filler, and still pretty tall.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 8:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

Love.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 8:13 PM
New Yorker for life

^ They are the reported architects....

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 8:21 PM
BANNED

Looks very good.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
1675 Broadway is around 500 ft., so this is maybe 700-750 ft.?

Looks decent. Pretty much just filler at this height, but above-average filler, and still pretty tall.
Filler it may be, but think about it this way; it's pretty awesome we live in a city where 750 feet is filler. Plus, the design is pretty good if you ask me.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 8:57 PM

Pretty soon 1000ft will be filler.

Nice design.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 11:17 PM

Are you guys kidding? It's freakin gorgeous.

If the Nordstrom tower was anywhere near this quality, we'd all be doing backflips.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 1:09 AM
dazzle me

amazing design, wow. more images of how it meets the ground would be nice, but it'd have to be better than the rosewood (aside from the parking ingress grrr)

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 1:29 AM

This looks fantastic! At first glance I thought it might have been designed by Zaha Hadid.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:15 AM

Gorgeous, classy tower

Love this - hope the finished product is as beautiful as the render!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:29 AM

Love it! I hope its built as proposed and the sleekness isn't value engineered away.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 7:20 AM

Bravo what an amazing tower! Excellent design, pure perfection!!!

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:04 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

New York YIMBY:

Revealed: 239 West 52nd Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON JANUARY 17TH 2014 AT 6:00 AM

Quote:
Overall, Roseland’s replacement will be a major net gain for the neighborhood; the ballroom sat empty much of the time, while 239 West 52nd promises to engage with the street 24/7, adding to the pedestrian vibrancy of Midtown West. Per Cetra/Ruddy, retail will occupy the first three floors of the base, and a “rooftop veranda will offer all residents an outdoor pool and lounge overlooking both Central Park to the North and Midtown Manhattan to the South.”

No completion date has been announced, but demolition of the existing structure should be imminent; permits for a sidewalk shed were issued earlier this month.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive