HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:06 PM

Rival teams

Just throwing out random thoughts

The logical rival would be Round Rock since we're so close but if not them...who?
Nashville, El Paso, Oklahoma City? Does Round Rock have a rival now? Is the stadium Mr. Wolfe is pushing capable of holding a AAA or even a major league team? A move to the majors is gonna happen but it's gonna be pushed for Austin/San Antonio. Where we put the stadium will be the big question. Here, in Austin or in between. Will San Marcos see the benefit of funding or partial funding of a stadium...New Braunfels, Kyle, Buda...why not in Blanco upgrade 281 and 290 from both cities...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 2:30 AM

San Antonio at #6 on Forbes list of cities creating high-wage jobs.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot...igh-wage-jobs/

Whoops! Just saw the other post above mine.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 9:50 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Post quoted has been deleted.
Three of our last four mayors have been Democrats. Considering San Antonio has been on a winning streak during that time, I think we'll be fine (to the extent party affiliation really even matters in local government).

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jul 20, 2017 at 10:54 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Three of our last four mayors have been Democrats. Considering San Antonio has been on a winning streak during that time, I think we'll be fine (to the extent party affiliation really even matters in local government).
Calm down. The mayor is the like the Texas governor in that they can run a PR campaign, but little power. FYI Castro was the only mayor with overt liberal ideas.

My issues with San Antonio is they won't take care of simple things like freeway cleaning and landscape, graffiti, or the current property crime. The freeway landscape they try is ugly, expensive, and messy. (10 and 410 anyone)

But at least we have sidewalks on Wiseman in the middle of nowhere. Complete streets in an urban environment are great, but do we need them every where?

Common sense is not prevalent in policy.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:58 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Calm down. The mayor is the like the Texas governor in that they can run a PR campaign, but little power. FYI Castro was the only mayor with overt liberal ideas.

My issues with San Antonio is they won't take care of simple things like freeway cleaning and landscape, graffiti, or the current property crime. The freeway landscape they try is ugly, expensive, and messy. (10 and 410 anyone)

But at least we have sidewalks on Wiseman in the middle of nowhere. Complete streets in an urban environment are great, but do we need them every where?

Common sense is not prevalent in policy.
Freeways fall under the state. Not the city.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Speaking of highway trash...has SA banned plastic grocery bags yet? I know many people groan at the idea of having to buy reusable bags, but I have noticed that the highways are dramatically cleaner here in Austin since our Big Bad Bag Ban went into effect. A bag ban is certainly something the city can do to improve SA's cleanliness. Plus, for those who don't already use them, I think reusable bags are fantastic. They hold probably the volume of at least 4 small grocery bags. Which means one trip from the car to the front door with three or four bags in hand, rather than 3-4 trips back and forth. It's awesome.

The only thing is I like to reuse those plastic sacks for the small trash cans around my place...so whenever I'm in SA and do some shopping, I keep those pesky plastic bags handy

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:30 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Speaking of highway trash...has SA banned plastic grocery bags yet? I know many people groan at the idea of having to buy reusable bags, but I have noticed that the highways are dramatically cleaner here in Austin since our Big Bad Bag Ban went into effect. A bag ban is certainly something the city can do to improve SA's cleanliness. Plus, for those who don't already use them, I think reusable bags are fantastic. They hold probably the volume of at least 4 small grocery bags. Which means one trip from the car to the front door with three or four bags in hand, rather than 3-4 trips back and forth. It's awesome.

The only thing is I like to reuse those plastic sacks for the small trash cans around my place...so whenever I'm in SA and do some shopping, I keep those pesky plastic bags handy
This won't matter if the state legislature passes legislation outlawing city-level ordinance bag restrictions.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
This won't matter if the state legislature passes legislation outlawing city-level ordinance bag restrictions.
Funny how "small government" Republicans want to overrule local governments in favor of state laws.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 2:32 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Funny how "small government" Republicans want to overrule local governments in favor of state laws.
Funny how tenth amendment "federalism" Republicans don't care about the same principles when applied to the state and city divide.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Hmm. Good to know because it drives me crazy. Our roads themselves are very good but the meadian maintence leaves more than to be desired.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 11:59 PM

That is small government

Quote:
The bill would let store owners decide if they want to supply plastic bags or not. If people stop using them, stores will stop providing them.

That said, I think the state legislature has more important things to do.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
The bill would let store owners decide if they want to supply plastic bags or not. If people stop using them, stores will stop providing them.

That said, I think the state legislature has more important things to do.
Except that is de facto outlawing city ordinances, which don't allow stores to decide if they stock free plastic bags... Nobody is going to stop using plastic bags because they're easier to use. Unfortunately, because they are more convenient, that leads to a collective action problem via a negative economic externality on the environment. Solving a collective action problem usually requires government action, rather than economic action. Why? Because the economic incentive IS to use plastic bags.

Furthermore, the state legislature's proposal, by definition, is - wait for it - bigger government because it adds to the state code. And it is contrary to Republicans' stated preference (i.e. federalism, in this case extrapolated to the state versus city divide) for the most local government to adjudicate local problems. The city level is the level closest to the individual. If we're truly going to enact that state preference, let the cities solve that collective action problem. Funny how Republicans suddenly learn the (false) virtues of government policy uniformity when they control state governments and cities decide they're going to take actions they happen to dislike.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 1:32 AM

Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Except that is de facto outlawing city ordinances, which don't allow stores to decide if they stock free plastic bags... Nobody is going to stop using plastic bags because they're easier to use. Unfortunately, because they are more convenient, that leads to a collective action problem via a negative economic externality on the environment. Solving a collective action problem usually requires government action, rather than economic action. Why? Because the economic incentive IS to use plastic bags.

Furthermore, the state legislature's proposal, by definition, is - wait for it - bigger government because it adds to the state code. And it is contrary to Republicans' stated preference (i.e. federalism, in this case extrapolated to the state versus city divide) for the most local government to adjudicate local problems. The city level is the level closest to the individual. If we're truly going to enact that state preference, let the cities solve that collective action problem. Funny how Republicans suddenly learn the (false) virtues of government policy uniformity when they control state governments and cities decide they're going to take actions they happen to dislike.
Republicans, by and large, engage the "smaller government" meme on Washington. Most don't care what the localities do, save the localities where they live.

And unless the legislative proposal mandates that store owners provide plastic bags, your argument is incorrect.

I've already stated that I think the Texas legislature trying to pass this law is stupid, but it does not go against republican principles.

Would it put another law on the books? Yes. But the end result is less government on the private citizen, not more.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 4:48 AM

This isn't a political thread. Please return to topic please.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:55 AM

I hesitate in adding to the Amazon HQ2 hysteria sweeping the internet. But here's a decent article from the Rivard Report about San Antonio and Austin working together on a bid. They refer to the regional approach as "San Austin".

https://therivardreport.com/amazon-choose-san-austin/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 10:31 AM

The driving force for much of societal structures is political discourse. Let others speak because this is America – I land wherein freedom of speech Exist. And please stop making our San Antonio treads look overly sensetive, as if we cannot handle differentiating opinions. It's embarrassing, and often the reason why most don't engage on the San Antonio treads, the concept of being too scared to speak is alarming. I seem to see it too often on here. It seems each week someone is having to defend the right to speak their mind on how and why some things don't happen in relation to structures in San Antonio. Politics and socioeconomic factors are part of that discourse. To know this and accept this and discuss it within reason is part of having a shared knowledge and respect for others.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
The driving force for much of societal structures is political discourse. Let others speak because this is America – I land wherein freedom of speech Exist. And please stop making our San Antonio treads look overly sensetive, as if we cannot handle differentiating opinions. It's embarrassing, and often the reason why most don't engage on the San Antonio treads, the concept of being too scared to speak is alarming. I seem to see it too often on here. It seems each week someone is having to defend the right to speak their mind on how and why some things don't happen in relation to structures in San Antonio. Politics and socioeconomic factors are part of that discourse. To know this and accept this and discuss it within reason is part of having a shared knowledge and respect for others.
I am not sure what you're speaking to, but any one and everyone is free to state third opinion on this forum. The only issue occurs when the discussion is off-topic to the thread it is occurring in, inflammatory or just obscene.

No one is having their opinion censored.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:37 AM

German market coming to San Anto?

Not sure how this compares to HEB, or Walmart, but another option is possibly on it's way:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...o-12210227.php

The German grocer — known for its low-price generic items and bare-bones stores — will anchor a planned retail development at the intersection of Alamo Ranch and Lone Star parkways on the city’s far West Side with a 30,000-square-foot store, commercial real estate services firm CBRE Group Inc. said in a news release Tuesday.

Not sure why it's putting itself in a more affluent part of town, but...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:49 AM
Meh

There is a place on the forum where political discussions are encouraged as a way of avoiding too many off topic posts in other sections - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/foru...php?forumid=14

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:56 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Not sure how this compares to HEB, or Walmart, but another option is possibly on it's way:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...o-12210227.php

The German grocer — known for its low-price generic items and bare-bones stores — will anchor a planned retail development at the intersection of Alamo Ranch and Lone Star parkways on the city’s far West Side with a 30,000-square-foot store, commercial real estate services firm CBRE Group Inc. said in a news release Tuesday.

Not sure why it's putting itself in a more affluent part of town, but...
I've never been that impressed with Aldi, so if it's anything like that, meh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio