HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:14 PM

^^ GameStop and EB Games used to be competing chains. At some distant point in time they merged. Effectively 100% of US operations became "GameStop" and about 99% in Canada operate under the "EB Games" name. The one on Taylor is an exception for some reason but it is effectively an "EB Games" despite what the store name says.

It is unclear what the announced store closures mean outside of the USA as GameStop INC is a global business. That said the market conditions affected store rationalization in the USA applies equally to Canada. In a shrinking retail market (game sales are going purely digital) it no longer makes sense to operate a store inside the mall and across the street from the mall. Along those same lines it does not make sense to have a store on Taylor and another near by on Kennaston. In terms of Winnipeg they could easily close three stores and not even skip a beat. They could likely close seven stores (5 Winnipeg, Selkirk and Brandon) in the province and not see their revenue significantly impacted. Heck they could likely drop from the current 12 stores to 4 stores and still be largely unaffected. Simply put the number of times people need to go to their stores v the number of locations they have people are willing to travel to them. Those that aren't willing to travel will find their needs being met it other ways (ie Walmart, online).

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Looks like retail at Portage Place is starting to wind down... pretty soon there won't be any clothing stores left.
Apparently Staples has signed a lease elsewhere and will also be moving out.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
Apparently Staples has signed a lease elsewhere and will also be moving out.
Any idea where they are going? Staying downtown I hope?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 3:46 PM

Staples has somewhat been openly struggling with maintaining the revenue stream from its physical presence. It would not be surprising to see them exit the downtown market or perhaps convert to a very small footprint store that is effectively copy and print + essentials + online pickup location. If there is near zero stock in a location with one in, one out it makes it a lot less challenging to minimize shrink due to thefts. A location at 201 Portage on the somewhat large space on the main floor as basically a business services centre there could make sense for both Staples and the building.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 3:48 PM

^ The fact that the downtown Staples has two entrances and exits operating can't help things. In some respects it's amazing that they haven't sealed one of them off. By contrast, the Shoppers Drug Mart at Portage Place closed their Portage Avenue entrance within a couple of months after they moved there from Graham Ave.

I'm sure they will maintain a presence, though. With all of the businesses and offices downtown that need stationery and office supplies, I have a hard time imagining Staples leaving. Maybe they might revert to something closer to the old school Grand & Toy or Willson Stationers model with a small footprint store, though.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 3:51 PM

The mall entrance at staples has been down to a small single file entrance for a few years. And the store keeps soooo many things behind the cashier. Anything else other than basic supplies is locked up, or just a display model with inventory in the back. If you take a close look, it's staggering how little real inventory is actually on the floor in this store. It's sad.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The mall entrance at staples has been down to a small single file entrance for a few years. And the store keeps soooo many things behind the cashier. Anything else other than basic supplies is locked up, or just a display model with inventory in the back. If you take a close look, it's staggering how little real inventory is actually on the floor in this store. It's sad.
They're making it work. But there's no question that security has ramped up throughout the mall. In addition to there being more security guards, some of the stores are switching to a more "hardened" type of guard who are more proactively monitoring their stores... some of these guys look paramilitary with all their gear.

I get why those guys are there, but frankly it makes for a less pleasant shopping experience.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
I'm sure they will maintain a presence, though. With all of the businesses and offices downtown that need stationery and office supplies, I have a hard time imagining Staples leaving. Maybe they might revert to something closer to the old school Grand & Toy or Willson Stationers model with a small footprint store, though.
In addition to the businesses and offices, there's also the UofW right there.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:47 PM

^^ Good call actually. Perhaps Staples has a deal to move into the former Garbanzos. Being both closer to campus and away from the Portage Place issues.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:48 PM

I would think Staples needs a decent amount of warehouse space... would they have that there?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 7:07 PM

I've been offered great deals on books and spices downtown but so far no deals on 37 inch monitors.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 7:16 PM

Judging by the amount of supplies my office alone gets from staples, there must be a very good downtown office market for them.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ Good call actually. Perhaps Staples has a deal to move into the former Garbanzos. Being both closer to campus and away from the Portage Place issues.
I didn't event know Garbonzo's closed. That'd be a good location for them, although it does move them even further away from the office core. Potentially could be some space in Winnipeg Square once construction is done. Old Chamberlyn's space maybe.

A possible (great) location could also be moving to the Carlton Building as the entire main floor is now vacant. They could take all or part of where Warehouse One, Casablanca, Crosier Kilgour and Greco Salon used to be. That building is technically part of Portage Place, so there could easily be a deal done to move their lease over there.

Quote:
I would think Staples needs a decent amount of warehouse space... would they have that there?
I doubt that location is doing much in terms of big ticket computer/hardware sales. Could easily, as mentioned above, be a smaller format and online pickup for that kind of stuff. Ship it over from another location or local warehouse for next-day pickup.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 7:44 PM

There was an office supply store in WS and I think it shut down.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 8:45 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
There was an office supply store in WS and I think it shut down.
Grand & Toy, shut down a few years ago.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I didn't event know Garbonzo's closed. That'd be a good location for them, although it does move them even further away from the office core. Potentially could be some space in Winnipeg Square once construction is done. Old Chamberlyn's space maybe.

A possible (great) location could also be moving to the Carlton Building as the entire main floor is now vacant. They could take all or part of where Warehouse One, Casablanca, Crosier Kilgour and Greco Salon used to be. That building is technically part of Portage Place, so there could easily be a deal done to move their lease over there.

I doubt that location is doing much in terms of big ticket computer/hardware sales. Could easily, as mentioned above, be a smaller format and online pickup for that kind of stuff. Ship it over from another location or local warehouse for next-day pickup.
Full acknowledgement that the conversation took place a couple years ago, just as the 300 Main project was in its early stages, but the guy running the Shoppers in WS told me that he had been asked to expand his location to take up the Chamberlyn's space.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:19 PM

I've heard similar murmurs... and I'd imagine it would be a great location for them to expand their grocery offerings once the tower is more occuppied.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:02 PM

^^ Opportunities exactly like that are why the Weston family basically went full stop on Holts to pivot and purchase Shoppers and merge it into the Weston Foods group.

As I have covered before you do a somewhat expanded "essentials" grocery section that most of the larger Shoppers have and you do a very short "fresh" section that Shoppers has piloted that model in other cities. It also makes sense to have things like FlashFood and order online for in store pickup to be added to this model.

As I have said many times, it is definitely the model of future grocery retailing regardless of what posters here think and the model to consumers will ultimately lead to consumers preferring this model due to things like cost savings and depth of selection. (ie selection of a suburban Superstore v the small grocery store on Donald).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Judging by the amount of supplies my office alone gets from staples, there must be a very good downtown office market for them.
I would bet most offices order supplies for delivery. No one is running out to the Staples at Portage Place to pickup a pallet of paper for their printers or a box of 50 pens.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I would bet most offices order supplies for delivery. No one is running out to the Staples at Portage Place to pickup a pallet of paper for their printers or a box of 50 pens.
A lot of offices order from Staples.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan