HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
and ... there goes Customer Service Reps ... I prefer human interaction.
I kinda agree. I want to deal with people who can ensure proper fit and answer questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Most of the clothing online places have systems in place where clothing is sent to your house and returns are free and nearly painless.

Amazon for example has "Prime Wardrobe" in the USA.

Link

Other places have a clothing showroom. They have sample items you can try on in person but they don't have anything you can take with you. It is all ordered from warehouse and sent to your home.

The hotel argument is a red herring too. These stores are going to excel on the customer service side. All you will need to do is remember which hotel you are staying at and they will look after the rest for you.

Even that sounds like a hassle. Maybe I'm not an avid shopper... I couldn't be bothered to clip out a coupon because I don't want to constantly, well, cut them out and worry about expiration. Getting into the habit sounds taxing.

As for hotels, it isn't a red herring, Sure, they'll do what you want and I have ordered to hotels, but for some people (ie me) adding a step to the process that I have to take care of, adds the impression of a hassle... even if it isn't much of a task.

I also don't fit things that well either... it's not a matter of normal/slim fit, s/m/l/xl, so I sure as hell never going to order 20 shirts to see if one fits and ship 19 others back.

Hassle. But I acknowledge they're not after me.

Apparently.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:06 PM

^^ When the norm shifts to having clothing sent to you instead of leaving the store with it in hand people won't a choice no matter what they prefer.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:30 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
^^ When the norm shifts to having clothing sent to you instead of leaving the store with it in hand people won't a choice no matter what they prefer.
But the customer ultimately determines what the industry offers. If enough people want to see stuff and leave the store with it, that will always remain. The market demand is what drives the business after all. Plus, a significant amount of infrastructure exists to serve the market as it currently operates. I don't foresee any major changes to happen overnight.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:50 PM

It is absurd to think that clothing sales would ever move to online only and that retailers would refuse to provide in-person shopping despite demand for same.

An entire mall literally just went up which is almost entirely dedicated to in-person shopping for clothing and shoes.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 6:12 PM

The dentistry business is booming downtown... hot on the heels of the new dental office where the Starbucks used to be at Graham and Kennedy, there is another new dental office popping up at Cityplace in the old CV office space.

Is it too late to rename it the SHEDD (the extra D being for dentistry)?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 6:34 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is absurd to think that clothing sales would ever move to online only and that retailers would refuse to provide in-person shopping despite demand for same.

An entire mall literally just went up which is almost entirely dedicated to in-person shopping for clothing and shoes.
I agree. Physical apparel retail will likely continue to exist. Especially for top brands and tailors, physical experience should be essential.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Not sure what type of consumer would prefer walking into a store, trying stuff on then waiting to receive it via shipping.

If someone is taking the effort to go to a physical store they want to buy it then. If someone doesn't want the hassle of visiting a physical store they'd order a bunch of sizes online and then return what they don't want.

Visiting a physical store to simply order something online appeals to virtually no one. Why would that become the norm? It seems the opposite is becoming far more prevalent. Online ordering and brick and mortar fulfilment.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 8:24 PM

^ It's fine for tech gear, office supplies or other such things, but people will always want to try on clothes.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
The dentistry business is booming downtown... hot on the heels of the new dental office where the Starbucks used to be at Graham and Kennedy, there is another new dental office popping up at Cityplace in the old CV office space.

Is it too late to rename it the SHEDD (the extra D being for dentistry)?
Is it a new one or is the current dental office by the Donald skywalk moving into a new location?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Is it a new one or is the current dental office by the Donald skywalk moving into a new location?
I don't know.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:16 PM

I wonder if some were formally in the medical arts building, or Boyd.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:57 PM

I just looked at the leasing map for City Place and the existing dental office will be available for lease starting Nov 1/19 so its probably a relocation of the existing dental office.

The whole section behind and beside the dental office also appears to be available for rent as well (the Robbins unit comes available 2nd Q 2020)

HERE is all the leasing info for City Place

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind it is not always about there being added demand but rather who is making the money off of operating the mall. In the case of the Outlet Collection they are on a national push with their properties. Winnipeg was targeted by several outlet mall operators. Further, the opening in Winnipeg say a lot of tenants move from Kennaston Commons to the outlet mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
I agree. Physical apparel retail will likely continue to exist. Especially for top brands and tailors, physical experience should be essential.
Actually it is the low end that will be slowest to move. When you are trying to sell a single item that is valued at over $100 the carrying cost and shrink, including theft and write downs, are a real thing as it isn't a single $100 item sitting on the shelf in hundreds of stores. Further adding something like a tailoring service just further pushes it online. You come in store and try on the sample garment they take measurements on how you want it adjusted and then some production warehouse makes those changes and send the garment to you. I get most people here are male and never been through a gown fitting process personally but I am sure a lot of them have been involved with someone else doing it. It is a similar experience.

Also focusing on what the consumer wants is looking at the wrong side of things to some degree. If the retailer can heavily reduce the shrink cost of than $100 "ready to wear" but not tailored garment to say $80 and include custom tailoring but have it take 2-5 days to get to your house a lot of consumers are going to see the added value there and be okay with it. As I already suggested the gown segment has done this model for many years. Eph and similar are already doing it in men's formal wear. It is a trend that is going to continue to expand. That said the low end like Old Navy is going to be a lot slower to shift as the shrink costs for a $10 item are a lot less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Visiting a physical store to simply order something online appeals to virtually no one. Why would that become the norm? It seems the opposite is becoming far more prevalent. Online ordering and brick and mortar fulfilment.
Why? Added services like personal fit tailoring and additional colour choices are examples of what could be offered by a custom order store like Eph or many of the gown shops. But think with a quicker turn around time. Also having minimal physical inventory lowers to overall cost of goods to the consumer.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:47 PM

^ In high end shops I'd wager the shrink is lower than at midrange shops since there are closed doors, security staff and fairly little merchandise on the floor. You would have to be a pretty good shoplifter to get away with the act in a place like this:

It is well known too that the luxury retail places a heavy premium on the experience... the pleasant environment, the service, all that. It won't ever be fully replaced by online IMO.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 5:55 PM

The Bay had parcel delivery in the lifetime of baby boomers. How quickly we forget.

Last edited by michelleb; Sep 21, 2019 at 2:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 6:15 PM

^ Parcel delivery isn't what we're talking about, though. The question is whether storefronts will remain or if apparel/shoe/accessory/etc. retailing will move entirely online.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 6:34 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
^ Parcel delivery isn't what we're talking about, though. The question is whether storefronts will remain or if apparel/shoe/accessory/etc. retailing will move entirely online.
Yeah, you don't want to go through the hassle of sending things back and forth to try and find the right fit. I'd much rather do all the fitting and stuff in person than screw around with mailed returns
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
It's really funny to see some people shocked at the idea of going to a shop for (here, clothing) and not taking it home with them.
I would like the Dumb and Dumber experience of clothes shopping.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 10:45 PM

Something Is Going On At ...

... the empty Future Shop on Leila. I was driving by today and noticed a heavy construction presence and a really broken up parking lot in front of the building. Anyone know what's up?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:

And the trend is actually going that way. Online retailers are generally opening storefronts once they achieve a significant market share, especially in large, dense markets like Toronto, Vancouver, New York. It will grow to other cities. Businesses need to be diverse to grow. Online like any other segment only has so much growth potential.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan