The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
Are they digging with Play-doh spatulas? When is this taking off finally
I think once the structure gets past the Dime landmark, it should go up relatively fast. They probably have to be careful not to damage the foundation of the older structure and probably reinforce it where necessary.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 12:50 AM

I have a few pics but not use how to upload them

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 4:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well it is a very small, complicated foundation, no doubt about that, but i have only seen small crews working. seems like there could be more action? maybe not.

it is noticeably a lot steadier pace though since they secured the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticbags View Post
I have a few pics but not use how to upload them

you have to put your photos on a host service, then post the photo links here. try flickr or google for free hosting.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 4:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'll second the complicated foundation notion. It is. In general, foundations for towers like 50 Hudson/The Spiral/111 W 57th took a while as case studies. This is rising, but a lot of the foundation, the roots of the towers if you look at it like a tree, are sprouting and grounding themselves so that this beautiful tree can rise. Just add a little money (water), some fertilizer (concrete/pie drivers/rebar), some sunshine (keep paying the workers), give it time, and it will sprout and become the symbol that is indicative of DoBro pinnacle of success.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 3:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

this morning
working away
i have never seen so many workers on site
around 30 or so
so thats very good news that foundation work has indeed ramped up!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:33 PM
New Yorker for life

This will pick up right after Steinway.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 11:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Completion date of 2022 via Commercial Observer. Let's hope!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 12:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Video (Instagram) via JDS Dev Group: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1PXAksh034/

Sealing a foundation slab pour.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:18 AM

Call me crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Video (Instagram) via JDS Dev Group: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1PXAksh034/

Sealing a foundation slab pour.
OK...Call me crazy....Yes the foundation work has been a "SLOW" and "METHODICAL" process. I get it. The site and angles are complicated. The bedrock and digging is part of the process. The developer and his team applied the same process with their project on Billionaires Row in Manhattan BUT AGAIN CALL ME CRAZY !!!!! My only fear since this process is slow is the longer this takes until we start to see the steel to elevate this tower and the tower starting to rise, the longer this takes, the fear I have is that there could be a potential that the height of the tower could be downsized...AGAIN...CALL ME CRAZY !!!!!! Yes, I know the financing is in place since the developer has over $600 million dollars to work with and other negative factors could come into play like what if they don't sell the amount of residential and retail space that they have projected for this project ? (Remember...real estate in Brooklyn especially in Downtown Brooklyn is still booming but the longer this project takes to complete, there could also be a downturn in the market) I truly do not want to state the negatives. I love Downtown Brooklyn..It's revitalization is a shining example. This tower will top out at 1066 feet making it the first supertall outside of Manhattan. That 1,000 foot marker is important and a tall building like this right smack in the middle of Downtown Brooklyn will most certainly put the cherry on top of the cake but I'm kinda of worried. What if the negative factors I mentioned previously do come to fruition, and the tower is downsized below the 1,000 foot marker ? That would be a tragedy in my opinion. a lost opportunity that the Downtown Brooklyn skyline loses it's potential iconic grandeur. Historically as recently as prior to the recession of 2008, there were plans for a supertall in Downtown Brooklyn and that recession killed that plan so I'm praying that history does not repeat itself. I'M LOOKING FOR COMMENTS...ESPECIALLY FROM YOU CHRIS AND NYGUY and other experts in this forum...AGAIN TO ALL YOU CAN CALL ME CRAZY AND I ACCEPT THE LABEL AND CRITICISM...I JUST WANT TO SEE SOME THOUGHTFUL ANALYSIS ON THIS.....DID I SAY CALL ME CRAZY ???...OKAY !!! LOL !!!!! Hope to hear everyone's response on this topic !!!! GOOD DAY !!!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 12:44 PM

^ 1,000 ft is not the cutoff for a supertall. 984 ft is. Your error kind of underscores how arbitrary this is in the scheme of things. I'd hope there is no height reduction. But even if this was 980 feet, I don't think it would be a "tragedy" by any stretch. It's still an iconic design, astoundingly tall for Brooklyn if anywhere close to 1,000 ft, and would have broken barriers as to what kind of buildings can be built in modern Brooklyn. And a real supertall would inevitably follow.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 12:48 PM

9 DeKalb is already financed. The project has been, until recently, slow-moving, because they're integrating a landmark at the base, as with Steinway Tower.

As with Steinway, once it starts rising, it will shoot up.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 5:01 PM

Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
^ 1,000 ft is not the cutoff for a supertall. 984 ft is. Your error kind of underscores how arbitrary this is in the scheme of things. I'd hope there is no height reduction. But even if this was 980 feet, I don't think it would be a "tragedy" by any stretch. It's still an iconic design, astoundingly tall for Brooklyn if anywhere close to 1,000 ft, and would have broken barriers as to what kind of buildings can be built in modern Brooklyn. And a real supertall would inevitably follow.
Yes I always understood in the past the 984 ft. cutoff for a supertall. 1,000 feet is just a nice number I guess. Regardless, especially for this project, I believe that it is important to maintain the project as is at 1,066 feet without any significant modifications whether it's done through value engineering or any other change. This tower is a significant milestone in the skyline status alone in NYC because it would be the first supertall in the outer boroughs and of course as you have stated, more buildings are coming to Downtown Brooklyn. Let's hope that the economy and real estate market stay robust. It's fun talking about stuff like this. Very much appreciate your constructive comments. Thank you !

Last edited by peteybrooklyn1959; Aug 19, 2019 at 5:17 PM. Reason: Correction

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 5:14 PM

It's a process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
9 DeKalb is already financed. The project has been, until recently, slow-moving, because they're integrating a landmark at the base, as with Steinway Tower.

As with Steinway, once it starts rising, it will shoot up.
I'm familiar with the developers work on Steinway from following this post over time and the building of the Steinway Tower is iconic and substantial to say the least and that is why the building of 9 Dekalb is so important integrating a landmark building in the old Dime Savings Bank building into the project. I visit the site at least once a month commuting from Long Island ( and of course who couldn't resist eating at Junior's too !!! LOL !!!) and I relish the opportunity to witness the completion of the project as planned. The mere revitalization of Downtown Brooklyn is an amazing story also compared to what the area was 20 years ago when you could not walk through neighborhood after 6PM at night. Every time I visit the area, I'm astounded at the changes !!!! Thank you very much for your comments and please to anyone else that wants to chime in...I welcome the discussion !!!! THANKS AGAIN !!!

Last edited by peteybrooklyn1959; Aug 19, 2019 at 5:17 PM. Reason: Correction

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:51 PM

Does anyone know what the Elevation or AMSL (Above Mean Sea Level) is on this site ?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 10:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyinMiami View Post
Does anyone know what the Elevation or AMSL (Above Mean Sea Level) is on this site ?
35 meters.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 10:51 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

@ peteybrooklyn1959

It is financed. Its taken quite a while due to some of the subterranean work, and incorporation of the existing landmark. If we recall, 111 W 57th took quite a while in a quasi-similar scenario. The foundation work alone took over a year.

We've seen an uptick in u/c activity at the site once financing was secured relative to prior pre-financing stage. This was back in April when it was secured, but its moving along.

If you look at the renderings, check out the Dime Savings Bank relative to the whole tower design. Its an integral part of the base.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 11:14 PM

Keep Building !!!!

Quote:
@ peteybrooklyn1959

It is financed. Its taken quite a while due to some of the subterranean work, and incorporation of the existing landmark. If we recall, 111 W 57th took quite a while in a quasi-similar scenario. The foundation work alone took over a year.

We've seen an uptick in u/c activity at the site once financing was secured relative to prior pre-financing stage. This was back in April when it was secured, but its moving along.

If you look at the renderings, check out the Dime Savings Bank relative to the whole tower design. Its an integral part of the base.
Chris... Thank you very much for your response !!!! I'm at the site at least once a month commuting from Long Island to visit Downtown Brooklyn. It's amazing the contrast between the former Bank and the height of the tower and the space and angle that the people that design and build the project have to face. On a personal note...I enjoy your pictorial updates on this and I have begun to take pictures also !!! I need to have someone show me through a private message on this forum how to post my personal pictures/updates of the site because I'd like to post those here to update all of you. I'd also like to speak to the men involved to get their take on this project and update all of you on the progress of this iconic project !!! Chris...Thank you again for your response !!!!!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
35 meters.
It's 36 feet above sea level, not meters.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
It's 36 feet above sea level, not meters.
Thanks, I thought 115ft elevation was kind of a stretch, from what I remember of walking through Downtown Brooklyn a few years ago.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 12:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I used a flood map for that figure. Might of mixed up ft and meters.

But a more accurate figure via NYC open data.

65.92 ft.

feat_code:3020

elevation:65.92

source_id:21302000983

sub_code:302000

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture