HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Might be something like 1958. The streets in the Assiniboine Forest existed legally, and maybe still do, but they were never opened. These maps were drawn from the city plan and the mapmakers often didn't distinguish between opened and unopened streets.

Van Horne Blvd. might have existed as a dirt road but I don't think there was ever anything on it. It was renamed Tweedsmuir Blvd. for a few years and then most of it was eliminated except one short section that was renamed Mountbatten Ave.
Yes, I think it has to be almost certainly fall of 1957. No sign of the Disraeli, the overpass opened in 1959 and the bridge in 1960. The Ellice trolleybus had been extended to Ferry Road which opened in fall of 1957. The St. Mary's trolleybus still terminated at Berrydale loop, it would be extended to Rose loop (it's still there, though unused) in early 1958. Note too the Polo Park is still indicated as a race track. Its last racing season was 1956 and Assiniboia downs opened in 1958.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160731...Program640.jpg

Last edited by Curmudgeon; Apr 30, 2019 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Corydon continues as it runs right to the RT/tracks. Same as why the glass repair shop, Fia and Sonix have McMillan addresses. Before confusion corner was made 50+ years ago, that whole area was* just a continuation of Crescentwood.
Crescentwood is bounded by the Assiniboine River, Cambridge St. and Grosvenor Ave. The Corydon & Osborne area was just considered Fort Rouge. So was Osborne Village, that name didn't became popularized until the late 60s/early 70s.

The lot where the Burger King and Pet Valu are located was a Dominion store, then by the early 80s a Loblaw's or Economart and then later a car dealership, Orion Chev Olds.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Might be something like 1958. The streets in the Assiniboine Forest existed legally, and maybe still do, but they were never opened. These maps were drawn from the city plan and the mapmakers often didn't distinguish between opened and unopened streets.

Van Horne Blvd. might have existed as a dirt road but I don't think there was ever anything on it. It was renamed Tweedsmuir Blvd. for a few years and then most of it was eliminated except one short section that was renamed Mountbatten Ave.
There are some underlying lot lines showing where Van Horne Blvd. was supposed to go, linking the south end of Tuxedo Avenue with the NE end of Mountbatten Avenue.

The original Assiniboine Park still has underlying river lot lines, and the western half the Zoo and the west end of the park still has its underlying 50' x 150' lots and streets.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 5:57 PM

^ The streets never existed at that time, it was just plans. Some were later built, others weren't. Same with most of the streets detailed on the map in Brooklands, the North End west of McPhillips or up north Main. Interestedly enough by the late 50s those plans were already quite dated. Many of the same streets are shown on maps dating to the WWI era.

Except for suburban extensions, the bus routes remain very similar to this day.

Upcoming this spring by Great Plains is Assiniboine Park: Designing and Developing a People’s Playground. Looks like an interesting read.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 7:46 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

^ Very impressed with your historical knowledge!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 11:31 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Crescentwood is bounded by the Assiniboine River, Cambridge St. and Grosvenor Ave. The Corydon & Osborne area was just considered Fort Rouge. So was Osborne Village, that name didn't became popularized until the late 60s/early 70s.

The lot where the Burger King and Pet Valu are located was a Dominion store, then by the early 80s a Loblaw's or Economart and then later a car dealership, Orion Chev Olds.
When I was a child there was a big indoor playplace thing (called advnture city I think) with a tunnel playstructure like the ones at mcdonanlds but it was huge. It was where the dollarama now is, I forget when it closed but man I remember it being so fun... so much so that we'd hide in the playstructures so we didnt have to leave lol

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
When I was a child there was a big indoor playplace thing (called advnture city I think) with a tunnel playstructure like the ones at mcdonanlds but it was huge. It was where the dollarama now is, I forget when it closed but man I remember it being so fun... so much so that we'd hide in the playstructures so we didnt have to leave lol
I took my kid there a bunch of times. Birthday parties were a blast for the kids.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 1:00 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Orion GM dealership in '82.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 6:14 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I took my kid there a bunch of times. Birthday parties were a blast for the kids.
does anyone remember when that closed?

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 7:22 PM

Dark Zone was awesome.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 12:51 AM

Dark Zone was magical. An institution even. As good as the joint in Linden Woods may be, there was something about DZ.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 3:43 AM

Dark Zone was amazing. Before the game stated you'd wait in the holding areas as the floor started to shake for the countdown. Amazing.

I went to Activate the other day – it's downright incredible. Puts Dark Zone to shame – it's so well done, they went all out. Highly recommend it, but wear your gym clothes  – it's a work out!

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
^ Very impressed with your historical knowledge!
Thanks

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 11:19 PM
BANNED

so are they actually just building a parkade next to a rapid transit station now? is that confirmed?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:03 AM

No there is an automated robotic parkade being integrated into the 13 storey mixed use building.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:19 AM

Phase 1 is already quite prominent coming over the Norwood Bridge. Phase 2 is going to make a big impact on that view looking down the river.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 9:55 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Thanks for posting that, I completely forgot about it. I like the idea of reconfiguring Confusion Corner but I have my doubts about the double roundabout... it looks like a recipe for gridlock. But certainly the idea of mid/highrise TOD along the busway makes eminent good sense.
I know this is ancient but that roundabout idea (as presented) is completely lunatic. The roundabouts are nowhere near the size necessary to handle the traffic. Two of them together (at that size) is only going to make the area an even bigger traffic nightmare for both drivers and pedestrians.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I know this is ancient but that roundabout idea (as presented) is completely lunatic. The roundabouts are nowhere near the size necessary to handle the traffic. Two of them together (at that size) is only going to make the area an even bigger traffic nightmare for both drivers and pedestrians.
I suspect that the double roundabout is just a placeholder... a concept meant to illustrate the idea that the entire junction should be rethought, as opposed to a literal proposal of what should be built there.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:34 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I suspect that the double roundabout is just a placeholder... a concept meant to illustrate the idea that the entire junction should be rethought, as opposed to a literal proposal of what should be built there.
Hopefully they rethink more than just the roundabouts. I noticed that they made most of the best land in the plan, the land within spitting distance of the station, into greenspace, which in itself is not terrible. It's just that it takes the land best suited to high rise, high density TOD and turns it into a park, pushing any developments further away from the station and limiting their usefulness in terms of being Transit Oriented.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 3:02 PM

^ That is definitely a flaw in their thinking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan