HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
This morning I heard on the radio that Manitoba Infrastructure released it's top intersections for collisions to some media sources. I dont even recall the station but it listed that the top 5 were all on Perimeter, with St marys, St Anne, and Mcgillivray in the top 3, in that order.
To be fair the third place for collisions is a tie between HWY 1/Portage and HWY 3/McGillivary. The top 5 from the story is below:

HWY 15 - 58
Portage - 62
HWY 3 - 62
St Annes - 79 + 1 fatal
St Marys - 113

The most deadly intersection in the period looked at is HWY1 at HWY 16 near Portage La Prairie with 5 fatalities.

I also think if the scope of the data was expanded a few years and the intersections were ranked by fatalities over say the past 10 years both Pipeline and Gunn would be jumping way ahead of St Marys which I suspect as a high volume of fairly minor accidents (cracked bumpers, etc).

Numbers are pulled from this CTV News video:

Link

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 4:28 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://mobile.twitter.com/rcmpmb/st...43729270652929

(1) Condolence to the family of the deceased party regardless;

(2) I hope the other party involved is okay;

(3) Usual rant against inaction on the part of the provincial government;

but...
(4) A lot of death on the road in Manitoba is due to people not wearing seatbelt. Why is that so commonplace in this province? It’s not as common in Ontario.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:03 PM
What could go wrong?

The tender is out for the South Perimeter Hwy closings. Good to see the Province still proceeding with this. Closes Apr 18.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 2:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The tender is out for the South Perimeter Hwy closings. Good to see the Province still proceeding with this. Closes Apr 18.
Well they are technically closed already in true manitoba fashion with the barricades lol

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 3:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Well they are technically closed already in true manitoba fashion with the barricades lol
This is for the actual removal of access points and to construct median closures. The Province is moving fairly quickly on this as the barricades only went up in winter when proper work couldn't be done.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 3:23 PM

Good to hear. This is long overdue.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 4:00 PM

Some of the snow clearing this winter "helped" the process removing a bunch of signage for the now closed openings on the south Perimeter.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 4:03 PM

Random question for this sub:

Does anyone know the purpose of this short gravel strip blocked off by a gate on westbound perimeter just as you approach the pembina interchange?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xU7McecBDSwjFGpx5

Does it have anything to do with the retention pond behind it?

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Well in typicle MB highway standards not all are being closed.
The vet that bitched has an authorized vehicles only sign now up where a barricade once was. And the biggest accident prone turn south over the eastbound traffic is good ole Ansneww turn off. Like serioulsy ive seen enough accidents here to last a life time. They can take the gravel side road which is fully operational to the number 2 and then either take the round about or the number 2 eastbound ramp. But heaven forbid the RM allows this. This RM is the most annoying to wprk with. Trust me..... and i guess since they are one of the most wealthy RMs the province caved.

However they did close the cement truck hazard partially. Thats a start.

I also noticed the gravel road to the dump seems to be upgraded. However they were painting lines as in marking gaa and hydro at Brady so im guessing traffic lights lol.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know the purpose of this short gravel strip blocked off by a gate on westbound perimeter just as you approach the pembina interchange?

It's for setting up very large pumps in flood conditions. The culvert there runs from the lake to the river. During flood conditions the river will actually be higher than that lake so they close the culverts. Temporary pumps are then setup to keep the lake levels down because they can't drain to the river.

There should be a flood pumping chamber there, but that costs millions.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:25 AM

Quote:

Just a guess, but the way it's designed, it looks like the beginnings of an off-ramp which was never completed. Given that 100/Pembina dates back to the 50s or early 60s, I would think the somewhat outdated (i.e. very tight) geometry of the interchange meant that there were plans to update it, but it never went beyond the initial stages.

Some interchanges have been upgraded in that manner... 100/1E comes to mind, as does 100/1W.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 12:50 PM

As PLRH noted above hat's the access pad to the Baldry Creek flood pumping location.

This year the city paid a contractor almost $230,000 to be able to provide 24/7 pumping services at that location and two others in south Winnipeg

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 1:40 PM

^ I'm not saying that the ramp isn't used to haul pumping equipment in and out, but it sure looks like it was designed to be the start of an off ramp to replace the existing one with its outdated geometry.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 6:56 PM

That mobile pump support pad was installed over the summer of 2011 by the city and not MB highways, but I agree that it does look like it could have been for something else related to the the interchange.

It's interesting that the city used the MB highways storm road closed gate design for their access and not just dump a few wooden barricades or a chain between 2 bollards to restrict access to the site.

I can't recall before 2011 if the city ran hoses over PTH 100 under a gravel cover during the spring floods when they pumped the creek out?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:43 PM

Any word when MIT is coming out with Phase III - final design of the south perimeter highway study? Their timeline says summer 2019.

Any word on if this will get funded?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 12:58 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I thought it got pushed to 2024...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 1:46 PM

If you haven't heard anything by now you won't hear anything until the campaign or after due to the media black out.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
If you haven't heard anything by now you won't hear anything until the campaign or after due to the media black out.
Speaking of elections, anyone in the know, or maybe we can just speculate, if there will be an election promise for Perimeter interchanges?

While I'm not entirely a fan of the current PCs they were good on their election promises from 2016. If they promised some upgrades, I feel that it would go through.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 4:10 PM

I am in no way in the know however as part of the review they were having done they did state that they wanted some shovel ready projects. I assume one, maybe two will be good to go if they are elected for another term.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 6:57 PM

I was on the south Perimeter for the first time in a while and I noticed that a lot of the crossings have been permanently removed... they have been blocked off with new curbs. There are still a couple of openings left that are marked as no left turns with "authorized vehicles only" underneath, but it's still a major improvement over how it was before.

Also, I think EB 100 at St. Mary's desperately needs increased left turn storage capacity. I was there at around 3:00 (not even rush hour) and the left turning cars were backed up right into the passing lane of the Perimeter. It's a dangerous situation considering there is a lot of non-local traffic around there that wouldn't expect such a weird obstacle on a major highway... MIT should be adding a second left turn lane there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan