HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Forgot to mention, we are getting a new rooftop bar with this one!
Its about time! Besides the tower, it just seems we lack in the rooftop bar and restaurants. Skyline views are awesome when dining.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 7:28 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Its about time! Besides the tower, it just seems we lack in the rooftop bar and restaurants. Skyline views are awesome when dining.
The St. Anthony Hotel has a roof top bar and then there's Paramour.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:49 PM

Haven't heard much on this one lately but it looks like they are moving forward with the project based on what I've been told.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:23 PM

Has this started construction yet?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 9:18 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Has this started construction yet?
Not yet.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:43 AM

Still a Go!

Interesting to see how lack of parking will work out. Have a look see!

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...-multiple.html

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:46 PM
James

Im excited that there won't be any parking there. I think it won't affect the building too much, guests will have valet. Plus the old Frost and current Rand parking garage will be right across the street and next door for the office employees.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post

People will just have to walk to their parking garages to get to their cars. if they don't want to use valet.
Walking is what you do downtown. The "no parking spaces" for that building will work out okay, as jaga pointed out.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post

I hope we start seeing more of this! I'm really getting tired of seeing all what's going on in Austin with towers being built on top of 6+ floors of parking mass. It creates this weird dreary feeling on street level. I hope we start seeing more parking-less towers, with regional parking garages here and there over Downtown. Park & walk.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:32 PM

We continue to spend hundreds of millions of dollars reinforcing car-centric design instead of investing in other forms of transit. This development is a tiny step in the right direction.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
We continue to spend hundreds of millions of dollars reinforcing car-centric design instead of investing in other forms of transit. This development is a tiny step in the right direction.
I get what you are saying, but this project doesn't include parking because there is no room for it.

The lot itself is approximately 175'x70'. That is considerably smaller than 2 garages that I believe to be on the smaller side:

-Wyndham Garage on Soledad --> 200'x100'
-Public Safety HQ Garage --> 240'x120'

I have been in smaller garages, but you don't see many of those built in newer buildings.

With the addition of the new Frost Bank Garage, parking will be set for a little while for this part downtown. Even with the new hotel, new office tower and conversion of Muni Plaza to apartments, there should be plenty of parking available in the 3 local garages: Rand, Old Frost, and New Frost.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
I get what you are saying, but this project doesn't include parking because there is no room for it.
You think I don't know that? Let me have this

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:28 AM

Quote:
So no new construction DT should include parking? In a city as sparse as San Antonio, and as reliant on tourism as we are?

Until we have a system of public transportation adequate enough to get people where they want to go, when they want to get there, that is fool's gold.

Or don't you want DT businesses to make any money from the 'burbs? If DT remains a colossal butt whip, then retail will remain hard to find. Most of SA lives outside the urban core. We are not now, nor ever will be, an Eastern sort of city. That train left a long time ago.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 3:54 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
So no new construction DT should include parking? In a city as sparse as San Antonio, and as reliant on tourism as we are?

Until we have a system of public transportation adequate enough to get people where they want to go, when they want to get there, that is fool's gold.

Or don't you want DT businesses to make any money from the 'burbs? If DT remains a colossal butt whip, then retail will remain hard to find. Most of SA lives outside the urban core. We are not now, nor ever will be, an Eastern sort of city. That train left a long time ago.
With every parking garage we build we are reinforcing the single passenger vehicle as the dominant mode of transit. Every dollar spent on cars is a dollar withheld from investment in mass transit options. It doesn't need to be this way, but belief systems like yours need to change before there is progress.

We can keep doubling down on the most inefficient, most polluting, and most deadly transportation option (that cannot realistically continue the way it is long term), or we can start investing in other ways to get around. We can't do both.

What do you mean by "sparse"?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 1:57 PM

No sure

Quote:
With every parking garage we build we are reinforcing the single passenger vehicle as the dominant mode of transit. Every dollar spent on cars is a dollar withheld from investment in mass transit options. It doesn't need to be this way, but belief systems like yours need to change before there is progress.

We can keep doubling down on the most inefficient, most polluting, and most deadly transportation option (that cannot realistically continue the way it is long term), or we can start investing in other ways to get around. We can't do both.

What do you mean by "sparse"?
I meant spread out.

I guess to me, it's like the chicken and the egg conundrum. Do we improve/change public transportation, and quit accommodating cars outright? Every bus I see is empty. I just don't see VIA getting people around town efficiently if everyone gave up their cars. At least not until more live in the DT core, as opposed to the 'burbs.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
I meant spread out.

I guess to me, it's like the chicken and the egg conundrum. Do we improve/change public transportation, and quit accommodating cars outright? Every bus I see is empty. I just don't see VIA getting people around town efficiently if everyone gave up their cars. At least not until more live in the DT core, as opposed to the 'burbs.
I don't think it's a binary paradigm where we completely quit accommodating cars. I mean, we've barely even tried to make mass transit work. San Antonio underfunds its transit system, even by Texas standards. Austin funds its transit with a 1 percent sales tax, Dallas and Houston with .5 percent. SA funds VIA with .25 percent sales tax. This makes VIA inconvenient to use, and is only used as a last resort. There's no easy solution for this as SA has maxed out how much sales tax it can charge. But we can change things so that San Antonio becomes denser, which would make the same transit more efficient.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 4:56 PM

Anyone that wants to see this project done, here is how you can speed up the process.

https://www.equityroots.com/Campaign...aspx?campid=22

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
Anyone that wants to see this project done, here is how you can speed up the process.

https://www.equityroots.com/Campaign...aspx?campid=22
That's interesting. I never knew a website dedicated to crowd sourcing hotel projects existed. Thanks for posting that.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That's interesting. I never knew a website dedicated to crowd sourcing hotel projects existed. Thanks for posting that.
Sounds like this project is dead!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio