HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Drones, 33K/as per RCMP plus the traing and salary of said officer, considerably cheaper, no where nere $4M for Air 1 in total
Anybody know is the in air flight time for a drone compared for Air 1 before refueling is required?

I am also guessing that a drone would not be able to do the car chase surveillance like Air 1 does? I was under the impression that was one of the major uses so far for Air 1.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Anybody know is the in air flight time for a drone compared for Air 1 before refueling is required?

I am also guessing that a drone would not be able to do the car chase surveillance like Air 1 does? I was under the impression that was one of the major uses so far for Air 1.
It's not like we have miles of freeways to monitor or even that many car chases.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

Lots of unclassified reports on military drones being able to autonomously follow a tagged vehicle without direct operator intervention. So in other words the operator identifies the vehicle of interest and tells the drone to follow and that's it. The operator could then monitor the pursuit remotely and radio the necessary information to officers on the ground.

My understanding is that most commercial/military drones are currently plane type airframes meaning "maintain current position" is not really possible but they are otherwise able to do everything Air 1 does and for far less costs. The challenge would be maintaining proper airspace clearances.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:05 PM

A few things on the drones. Helicopter drones are becoming increasingly popular. As we've seen recently with a surge of online videos with drones hovering over cities. Most of the drones I've seen/used for business have been of the plane type and are launched from a slingshot (basically). Not a good choice for police following a vehicle. And of course there is a difference between a military drone plane, which is an actually full size plane minus pilot, and a smaller drone used for surveying or taking pictures. If the Police were going to be getting a large drone, just keep the helicopter.

A lot of drones operate on pre-programmed flight paths. Of course there are remote controlled drones. But it would be rather difficult for someone to safely (being the key word) fly the thing, while following a vehicle or person on the ground.

This is where I'm not sure on the flight approvals. Again for business, they need to get clearance from the airports with a flight plan. Police I would assume have to follow the same process. Many civilians will fly drones whenever and wherever they please. For a drone to follow a vehicle, it would need to be rather high in the air to keep a good line of sight on the target. Which again would likely require a flight plan. Which by the time it was received, the car or person would be long gone.

I'm pretty sure police don't take the helicopter out when they get word of a chase. The helicopter flies at pre-determined times, and the helicopter will just happen to be in the air when a chase happens.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
$155 million is easy to find for a suburban underpass, but finding money for a homeless shelter?...sorry try again.
Police and fire accounted for 29% of city budget ten years ago, 45% today, 4-7% annual increases in WPS, WFPS yearly no problem, sustainable never in a million years, who cares (Winnipeg mayor and goofy council)

Scraps for the homeless= 0

Funding for homeless projects and money spent on the poor doesn't get your picture in the media, greeting Syrian refugees does!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:29 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Police and fire accounted for 29% of city budget ten years ago, 45% today, 4-7% annual increases in WPS, WFPS yearly no problem, sustainable never in a million years, who cares (Winnipeg mayor and goofy council)

Scraps for the homeless= 0
totally agree...its some kind of moral victory that the police got only triple the rate of inflation increases instead of quadruple like they were demanding....and in response they use fear mongering tactics.....when do we start talking about wages that don't make traffic cops top 5% wage earners in the country?...or pensions based on overtime....

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:42 PM

Yeah, using red light cameras as a revenue source has kind of backfired on them. I was at traffic court a few weeks back and there was at least 20 officers there waiting to testify, no doubt on overtime. One wonders what that costs on a daily basis.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Yeah, using red light cameras as a revenue source has kind of backfired on them. I was at traffic court a few weeks back and there was at least 20 officers there waiting to testify, no doubt on overtime. One wonders what that costs on a daily basis.
Really don't understand all of this, we've taken radar and traffic light enforcement to a private entity who retains some of the revenue from traffic fines yet police still testify in court. Either the police enforce the traffic laws and retain 100% of the revenue from fines or they don't.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:53 PM

But guys, they're making us safer. Let's give them another $20M this year, for my kids sake. Otherwise, they might not make it through childhood. Alright?!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Police only testify for tickets they've written. I've fought two radar tickets (and won) and it was just me and the justice.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:58 PM

One thing that really bugs me is illegal tint tickets. I was ticketed for illegal tint and had to remove it or pay the $200-$300 fine. Thing is, I bought my car safetied from a dealer, with the tint as is. Cop says to me "ya if we went to check brand new cars at the dealer, a lot would fail". Well wtf?! I notice a ton of SUV's and van's with really dark tint. So how can they get away with it? I gave the dealer where I bought my car to the police and the judge. Likely nothing would ever have come of it.

Sorry mods for getting of topic.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 6:05 PM

We're meandering today..lol..Posts are now here from construction..

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Police only testify for tickets they've written. I've fought two radar tickets (and won) and it was just me and the justice.
So the jerkoff who sits in the van just didn't show up or something? I always thought those things were hard to win.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 6:31 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
So the jerkoff who sits in the van just didn't show up or something? I always thought those things were hard to win.
hard to win, but ALWAYS fight them.

It delays your payment for a at least a year till your court date.

When your "court" date does come, there is a good chance the commissionaire will not show = ticket thrown out.

Or, even if he does show up, you can give the Crown any kind of reason, and your fine will be reduced around 30-50%, just to avoid the costs of getting to trial.

Then you can arrange a payment date and schedule with the judge.

It's ridiculous. I have fought two tickets this way. One got thrown out, the other reduced significantly.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 6:45 PM

Saw asbestos removal was being done in some of the 2nd level offices on east side of the elevator lobby last night. i wonder if the city has a tenant for that space or are they wanting to make the whole 2nd floor asbestos free?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
hard to win, but ALWAYS fight them.

It delays your payment for a at least a year till your court date.

When your "court" date does come, there is a good chance the commissionaire will not show = ticket thrown out.

Or, even if he does show up, you can give the Crown any kind of reason, and your fine will be reduced around 30-50%, just to avoid the costs of getting to trial.

Then you can arrange a payment date and schedule with the judge.

It's ridiculous. I have fought two tickets this way. One got thrown out, the other reduced significantly.
Got ticketed (red light camera) for allegedly running a red light a few years back (which I didn't), came to a stop as the light turned from amber to red, I was making a right hand turn on a red, vehicle turn signal light on. Received the ticket in the mail with accompanying photo (black and white), went down to Broadway (? can't remember) to plead not guilty, was given a court date, also received colour photos (sequence) of the alleged offence with turn signal light clearly visible and pedestrians crossing at intersection ahead of me. Attended court and ticket was waived. Asked why ticket was issued in the first place and complained about process and was told all red light camera tickets are reviewed by an officer, BS on that. Time wasted 3 hours!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
One thing that really bugs me is illegal tint tickets. I was ticketed for illegal tint and had to remove it or pay the $200-$300 fine. Thing is, I bought my car safetied from a dealer, with the tint as is. Cop says to me "ya if we went to check brand new cars at the dealer, a lot would fail". Well wtf?! I notice a ton of SUV's and van's with really dark tint. So how can they get away with it? I gave the dealer where I bought my car to the police and the judge. Likely nothing would ever have come of it.

Sorry mods for getting of topic.
What windows did they measure? Curious since I've only ever heard stories of them going after the front sides. So I assume they don't care about the rears.

Law says 45% front sides, 35% rear sides, and no restriction on the back window.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
For a drone to follow a vehicle, it would need to be rather high in the air to keep a good line of sight on the target. Which again would likely require a flight plan. Which by the time it was received, the car or person would be long gone.
There is likely some sort of exception to needing a specific flight plane for police operations as the scenario you described on following a live event would equally apply to both a drone and the current helicopter. With a remote operated drone the only true difference is if the pilot is in the craft or sitting at a desk.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 12:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
What windows did they measure? Curious since I've only ever heard stories of them going after the front sides. So I assume they don't care about the rears.

Law says 45% front sides, 35% rear sides, and no restriction on the back window.
Wrong.
Passenger cars have a different set of laws. Max is 50% as you have to take in the tint of the actual glass!!!
Trucks and SUVs fall into another. Doors ( front ) are 50% and side doors 35%
Vans ( passenger ) same as above
Vans front doors 50% backs can be 5%
Trucks ( commercial ) 50% front. Back doors 35% back window 5%

I know. I been ticket to many times

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 12:20 AM

5% might as well be solid metal haha.

They checked the front two windows on a 2 door car. Cant remember what the test results were. I took it all off as it looked silly. Then sold the car.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan