HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Actually I would find the opposite of what you propose making just as much sense.. Lease to retailers, private offices that would find this building connected to one of the most secure, safe locations in the city.
sort of surprised that some of the smaller criminal law firms don't want to rent office space there. Make it a lot easier for the lawyers to come see their clients in the interview rooms as the new station.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 10:58 PM

^ Excellent use for the vacated space.

If we want to go one step further and bring in the public sector, legal aid would do brisk business in this location as well. Centralize their downtown locations.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 6:16 PM

I'm looking out my window and notice they have had an SUV parked with its lights on and orange cones laid out, at the SW corner. Anyone know whats going on? They were also a number of police vehicles on the street earlier. Maybe some type of move in festivities?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 7:00 PM

Apparently some type of crane on the street.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 7:10 PM

Winnipeg's next 'white elephant'?
By David Larkins, Winnipeg Sun

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/12/2...white-elephant

Quote:
The downtown PSB will go vacant next summer after the Winnipeg Police Service has fully moved into its new headquarters on Graham Avenue,

Should the old PSB be saved?

City councillors could move into PSB

Winnipeg city councillors are slated to temporarily move into the Public Safety Building.

Unless they don’t.

Mayor Brian Bowman wants the conversation taken to Winnipeggers.

Our mayor wants our input?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 7:15 PM

^ Bowman should give us a list of options. Give us a list of the top 5 alternatives, present the costs and benefits of each.

Just asking what people want is pointless, unless you want to hear a bunch of people asking for a waterpark.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 7:28 PM

There was a crane there about two weeks ago lifting stuff up on the roof. Maybe more stuff is being moved up there.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Bowman should give us a list of options. Give us a list of the top 5 alternatives, present the costs and benefits of each.

Just asking what people want is pointless, unless you want to hear a bunch of people asking for a waterpark.
Agree. Seems like a logical solution, but is our new mayor up to the challenge?
I here talk of a lovely green space where people can sit on a bench and enjoy all the Exchange has to offer, where the people of Winnipeg could congregate for public events, meeting the caveat of public use to a tee...and saving tax $$ on refurbishment/renovation of the existing building.

Is the PSB's Brutalist architecture worth the tax $$ to save? The Urban Planner they interviewed had a very different idea.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Agree. Seems like a logical solution, but is our new mayor up to the challenge?
I here talk of a lovely green space where people can sit on a bench and enjoy all the Exchange has to offer, where the people of Winnipeg could congregate for public events, meeting the caveat of public use to a tee...and saving tax $$ on refurbishment/renovation of the existing building.

Is the PSB's Brutalist architecture worth the tax $$ to save? The Urban Planner they interviewed had a very different idea.
Personally, I think it would be a mistake to demolish the PSB to create a green space or plaza in this area. A large building being used by actual people would contribute more to the vitality of the area than yet another underutilized open space. The PSB fits nicely with the overall aesthetic of the city hall / civic centre, so why not keep it, if a public use can be found?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Personally, I think it would be a mistake to demolish the PSB to create a green space or plaza in this area. A large building being used by actual people would contribute more to the vitality of the area than yet another underutilized open space. The PSB fits nicely with the overall aesthetic of the city hall / civic centre, so why not keep it, if a public use can be found?
Agreed. We need to get over this obsession with adding more green spaces/public plazas. We have enough of those.

Within a few short steps of the PSB is Old Market Square, the Civic Centre plaza, the Steinkopf Gardens, the little plaza next to the Playhouse... am I missing any? How many plazas does this little corner of the Exchange District really need? It's not like we live in some oppressive urban jungle like Sao Paulo or Tokyo where we need to provide all these little places of respite to escape the endless concrete. Besides, you never see anyone using these squares for 2/3 of the year.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Agreed. We need to get over this obsession with adding more green spaces/public plazas. We have enough of those.

Within a few short steps of the PSB is Old Market Square, the Civic Centre plaza, the Steinkopf Gardens, the little plaza next to the Playhouse... am I missing any? How many plazas does this little corner of the Exchange District really need? It's not like we live in some oppressive urban jungle like Sao Paulo or Tokyo where we need to provide all these little places of respite to escape the endless concrete. Besides, you never see anyone using these squares for 2/3 of the year.
I absolutely agree with the green space, public plaza concept as a non-starter in this particular area contrary to the Urban Planners vision for the space. I feel it would actually be detrimental to the area.

Also not in favor of the renovation of this building. The parkade should come down tomorrow. Some may be in favor of preserving this structure for it's "architectural uniqueness", imho, I don't see it.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 12:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I absolutely agree with the green space, public plaza concept as a non-starter in this particular area contrary to the Urban Planners vision for the space. I feel it would actually be detrimental to the area.

Also not in favor of the renovation of this building. The parkade should come down tomorrow. Some may be in favor of preserving this structure for it's "architectural uniqueness", imho, I don't see it.
Head scratcher on why it's still standing, does someone actually believe it can be rebuilt? Having that parkade standing empty, unsafe and unused says a lot about the state of this city.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Head scratcher on why it's still standing, does someone actually believe it can be rebuilt? Having that parkade standing empty, unsafe and unused says a lot about the state of this city.
Actually, I understand that the basement garage is still used by the police. So, until they come up with a plan for the site the parkade will remain standing and shuttered because I doubt it could be demolished without getting rid of the still-functional and necessary garage.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 2:32 AM

If you are being brought in for questioning you go in through the lower level of the parkade off of William Ave. And I am not sure if its still done but at one time the CSI people use to process vehicles in a secure section of the underground parkade for fingerprints etc.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 3:21 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:

The plaza was a suggestion by a councilor not a planner. Totally agree that would be a disaster.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm looking out my window and notice they have had an SUV parked with its lights on and orange cones laid out, at the SW corner. Anyone know whats going on? They were also a number of police vehicles on the street earlier. Maybe some type of move in festivities?
It looked like they were putting temporary concrete barriers between the building and the road. Maybe they have safety concerns about offices at street level without a barrier

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 1:46 PM

Its in the Dec 22 Free Press that barriers are required and the concrete "Jersey Barriers" being installed are just temporary until the sidewalks are repaired and a better looking system is installed .

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 4:16 PM

^^ "Better looking barriers" is likely going to be highly subjective. I would expect the permanent look is similar to what happened on Graham by MTS Centre.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ "Better looking barriers" is likely going to be highly subjective. I would expect the permanent look is similar to what happened on Graham by MTS Centre.
I've seen a lot of these kinds of things in Europe... I'm not sure if they meet WPS specs (maybe they'd have to be bigger?), but I think something like this would look far better than the concrete bunkers by MTS Centre or by the Portage and Main concourse:

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 4:43 PM

Oh that's right, the barriers. I would think they will be bollards, and not a continuous wall all the way down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan