HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 7:08 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SA: NEISD Selects Site for new sports complex

To be built on the northeast side between Thousand Oaks and Wurzbach Parkway at an old abandoned quarry. The center piece will be a 10,000 seat foot ball stadiu (field surrounded by an 8-lane track). Next to the football stadium will be a baseball field/stadium with there also being a bus terminal on the complex site.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 7:32 AM

Good for NEISD for using it's head and not contributing to the sprawl past 1604, and for an adaptive reuse of an abandoned quarry.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 7:35 AM

I agree, and sorry I left that out. This was originally going to be built off Blanco Rd. a few miles past 1604. That was the plan up until a couple of months ago when the northeast side quarry land was brought to their attention, now it's a done deal.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 2:59 PM
James

Awesome, I'm pretty sure people are going to be upset because it's not close to them. Oh well, their bad for moving so far away!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 8:10 PM

GREAT Location

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 8:41 PM

I actually hate this, reason being I drive on thousand oaks to get to and from I 35 every day about 5 times a day everyday and I can just imagine traffic nightmare on game night. Especially when theres two train tracks that cross thousand oaks within a couple hundred feet from each other and when a train comes it goes as slow as a snail depending on which track its on and routinly stops blocking off traffic when delivering stuff to some buisness there not sure which one it is, but oh well its going to get built regardless. Also, I saw some people surveying the land right opposite off the proposed neisd complex on thousand oaks, the section of land with the mini lake. Isn't there sabose to be a regional soccer complex being built aswell?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 10:12 PM

Looks great! But why are they building a 10k seat stadium?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird9 View Post
Looks great! But why are they building a 10k seat stadium?
Football.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 4:59 AM
JACKinBeantown

I seem to recall being at a football game with Madison in 1984 with 24,000 people. Why is the new one so much smaller? Is it for middle school games, or for the schools that place less emphasis on football?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 5:15 AM

I don't think the football games draw that many people anymore. In 2004 the annual Mac vs. Madison games had I think right around 6500 attendants.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 6:21 AM

Seeing how this is a NEISD stadium, they (NEISD) have Comalander stadium with a 11,000 seat capacity so this would be their second biggest football stadium. The biggest high school stadium in SA as well as Texas is Alamo Stadium which is a SAISD stadium that holds 24,000. The Alamodome is also used sometimes for high school games from various districts like NISD, NEISD, SAISD.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 7:53 PM
JACKinBeantown

Hey, it was 1984, and my memory may be fading. Is Comalander the stadium at Blossom? Is there a need for a second stadium? How many high schools are there in the NEISD these days?

On another note, when I was a little kid I remember going to a San Antonio Wings WFL game at Alamo Stadium in 1975. It's a pretty cool old stadium.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by METALMiKE View Post
Football.
Sorry, I should have asked what teams wil be playing there. Teams from NEISD?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
Hey, it was 1984, and my memory may be fading. Is Comalander the stadium at Blossom? Is there a need for a second stadium? How many high schools are there in the NEISD these days?

On another note, when I was a little kid I remember going to a San Antonio Wings WFL game at Alamo Stadium in 1975. It's a pretty cool old stadium.
Yes, Comalander is at the Blossom Athletic Center.

As far as attendance, most high school games in the NEISD and NISD draw about 5-7k/game. Premier games or rivalries don't usually top 11,000.

NEISD will have 7 high schools when Johnson High School is completed (next year I believe).

Unfortunantly, too many football games are having to be played on Thursday and Saturday due to scheduling conflicts at Comalander. When NISD built the second athletic complex to ease the use of Gustafson Stadium, NEISD took notice and I knew it wouldn't be long before they followed suit. It's long overdue and NEISD really needed to get another complex built. It probably won't be long before talk of an 8th High School is being needed. Long term, I think it makes sense.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 3:37 AM

Very nice, and thank god they are building it inside the loop!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
It probably won't be long before talk of an 8th High School is being needed. Long term, I think it makes sense.
Middleton said in the past week, at a border adjustment meeting 7 high schools is where NEISD maxes out. They don't have any land for another and have no plans to buy any. Their is land for another middle school to serve the northeast quadrant and that would go to Roosevelt.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio