HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 12:30 AM

"Freight Rail Pays For Its Own Safe, Efficient Network" says freight industry ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico
Freight Rail Pays For Its Own Safe, Efficient Network
02/04/2019
By ADRIAN ARNAKIS
Read More: http://www.politico.com/sponsor-cont...icient-network

Last edited by Cirrus; Feb 17, 2019 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 10:17 PM

Why are you posting and linking to sponsor-generated propaganda? This is not news or editorial, but a commercial from the AAR.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo View Post
Why are you posting and linking to sponsor-generated propaganda? This is not news or editorial, but a commercial from the AAR.
Does that offend you? Can it not still spark debate or an interesting conversation?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 4:14 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Mod interjection: This is borderline acceptable. The article is a paid advertisement but it's a legitimate topic and Politico is a legitimate (and respected) paper. Since it's borderline, I'm going to leave this thread open, but edit the post to include less of the ad, and change the thread title to reflect its source. Carry on.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Does that offend you?
Yes, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Can it not still spark debate or an interesting conversation?
In about the same measure as "sponsored content" like this...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 3:12 PM

I guess freight rail receives fewer government subsidies and pays and profits for itself.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
I guess freight rail receives fewer government subsidies and pays and profits for itself.
Yeah, it shows how useful rail can be when it's not hampered by trying to move unprofitable people around.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 11:37 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

It's not inaccurate but it's definitely propaganda. But for what purpose? The article isn't just touting the freight railroads' (exaggerated) infrastructure credentials, it's contrasting freight rail infrastructure with the highway network. So strange ... I almost feel like the goal is to advocate for transport infrastructure privatization, with freight rail being touted as the exemplar of successful privately-own transportation infrastructure.

(Of course, an intelligent observer might notice that the rail network could become more efficient still with off-the-shelf European tech such as mainline electrification and ERTMS. But these things are massively capital-intensive.)

Finally, let me remind youse of my theory that the Brightline project was a trial balloon by the freight rail industry to see if a passenger rail play was viable. With Branson buying Brightline up (along with the Vegas HSR project BTW), the trial balloon evidently seems successful, and this might be the spearhead of a push to start Brightline-like projects on various amenable corridors around the country. That is, this fluff piece touts freight rail's superiority to road infrastructure because the industry's gearing up to offer an alternative.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 11:52 PM
Never Dell

Rail companies got sweet deals that might have sounded fair at the time (?) but are today unfair. Try building a pedestrian bridge or anything else over a railroad and see what happens...the railroad has the power.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Rail companies got sweet deals that might have sounded fair at the time (?) but are today unfair. Try building a pedestrian bridge or anything else over a railroad and see what happens...the railroad has the power.
My old college shut down the main road going into the campus that crossed about 5 rail lines. The school tried to allow pedestrians to still use the path because it would cut off about 15 minutes of walking. The railroad said NO.

Yes, they are powerful.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 7:32 PM

Perhaps long distance passenger rail could each carry several cars of freight to make it more profitable and the freight would also be transported at high speed.

And with combined services freight trains and passenger trains wouldn't get in each others way to cause delays since there's only be one service.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 8:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

Ot just throwing this out...I don't know...Express mail perhaps? What a groundbreaking idea...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 8:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Yeah, it shows how useful rail can be when it's not hampered by trying to move unprofitable people around.
I didn't know Randall O'Toole was so witty

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I didn't know Randall O'Toole was so witty
Well, Europe shows that you can't have both high passenger-km and freight ton-km.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 8:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
In my opinion short of nationalization with leased access, which only makes sense on a handful of corridors with strong passenger travel demand, one of which (NEC) is already gov owned, the government should have partial domain over all freight railroad right of way, with a strict requirement to prove legally that requests like those mentioned are an unreasonable burden to their operations. Probably 90% of the time they wouldn't be and this thing called progress could actually occur in this country.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 8:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Well, Europe shows that you can't have both high passenger-km and freight ton-km.
Man, that's correlation not causation.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 9:28 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

My impression is Russia has lots of both freight and passenger volume on its railways, but I don't really know.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 11:04 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
And Russia and China show you can. The reason Europe's freight ton-km's are so low is that the freight railroads have to compete against the sealanes ... and freighters will always beat freight trains for sheer bulk haulage.

By contrast, Russia and China have plenty of inland population centers. The US has basically four regions (the East and West coasts, Great Lakes, and Gulf of Mexico) where sea haulage can compete against rail freight, none of which affects lucrative transcontinental haulage; China one (its eastern seaboard); and Russia de facto none (yes, it has tons of seacoast, but relatively few coastal population centers: St. Petersburg, Rostov-on-Don, and Vladivostok function more as gateways to inland population centers).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 11:10 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ That's what I meant to say

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation