HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 9:18 PM

What do we think about the transfers stations design of HRT1 vs. HRT2?

HRT1 has a single transfer station for Sepulveda, Orange, and ESFV lines - and an additional Sepulveda-ESFV-Metrolink transfer station. So it distributes Sepulveda-ESFV transfers to two stations but concentrates transfers from both rail lines to Orange line at a single station. Will the Orange line platform be overwhelmed (assuming it remains a BRT for a while) from transfers from both rail lines?

HRT2 separates ESFV-Orange and Sepulveda-Orange transfers into 2, but concentrates Sepulveda-ESFV transfer at the Metrolink station. HRT2 may require a massive Sepulveda-ESFV-Metrolink to handle the load but should be better at handling transfers to/from Orange line.

Which trade off is better?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Goodbye LRT.

As I kind of predicted, this is one of those rare instances where Metro’s lack of creativity will actually end up being beneficial. The ESFV segment should not be a reason why we have to “dumb down” the rest of the line.

Thoughts:

1) Just scrap the monorail option already
2) HRT1 is clearly the best, and notice how they extended the alignment to include the Van Nuys Metrolink station
3) Why isn’t there a station on Santa Monica Blvd?
4) Other than that, I think Centinela does make more sense than Westwood/Overland for the southern extension
Based on this blog post, a Santa Monica Blvd. station was eliminated from consideration due to the existence of an earthquake fault line.
http://angelsmovingforward.com/what-...unity-meeting/

This has been corroborated with someone that attended one of the community meetings:
http://transittalk.proboards.com/post/40395/thread

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
What do we think about the transfers stations design of HRT1 vs. HRT2?

HRT1 has a single transfer station for Sepulveda, Orange, and ESFV lines - and an additional Sepulveda-ESFV-Metrolink transfer station. So it distributes Sepulveda-ESFV transfers to two stations but concentrates transfers from both rail lines to Orange line at a single station. Will the Orange line platform be overwhelmed (assuming it remains a BRT for a while) from transfers from both rail lines?

HRT2 separates ESFV-Orange and Sepulveda-Orange transfers into 2, but concentrates Sepulveda-ESFV transfer at the Metrolink station. HRT2 may require a massive Sepulveda-ESFV-Metrolink to handle the load but should be better at handling transfers to/from Orange line.

Which trade off is better?

So is Phase 3 of the purple line going to have a transfer station roughed in under Wilshire? The potential exists here for a cross-platform transfer like those in NYC to be built if the Sepulveda line is made to curve east/west in and out of the station. This would also enable equipment to be swapped between the new line and the existing rapid transit system.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
Agreed. Perhaps the red/purple/green lines can be automated as well. Also, this could mean PLATFORM SCREEN DOORS!!!!!
Why can't platform screen doors be done with non-automated rail (I mean that as a general question, not arguing this shouldn't be automated)? I've always thought Metro should build enclosures with platform screen doors on all stations within freeway medians.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:59 PM
Show me the blueprints

^
Aligning the train doors with the platform screen doors consistantly and precisely manually, without the aid of a computer, can be a tricky task.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 7:32 PM

Wow the extension down/close to the 405 would be amazing. I also thought that would be a great place for some kind of transit there. So many jobs nearby.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:48 PM

LAX people mover

Construction has started on the LAX people-mover.

STRUCTURE DEMOLISHED IN PREPARATION FOR CONSTRUCTION OF THE LAX AUTOMATED PEOPLE MOVER

January 29, 2019

The former Burger King at 96th St. and Airport Blvd. was demolished in just six hours. (Image courtesy of LAWA)

"(Los Angeles, CA) Marking a new phase of construction at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the first structure was demolished to allow for the construction of the Automated People Mover (APM) guideway. LAX Integrated Express Solution (LINXS), the developer of the APM, successfully demolished the former Burger King property on the corner of 96th St. and Airport Blvd. The demo was completed on Jan. 28 and took less than six hours to complete. Construction on the APM itself is scheduled to begin this spring.

“Transformative projects are accomplished through a series of smaller steps, and we are starting 2019 with substantive work towards the reimagining of LAX,” said LAWA CEO Deborah Flint. “One of our strategic goals at Los Angeles World Airports is to operate sustainably, and we are pleased that LINXS ensured that the demolition surpassed our high environmental standards, setting the tone for the many milestones that lay ahead of us throughout the life of the project...”

https://www.lawa.org/News%20Releases...20Release%2008

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:30 PM

Study Explores How Metro Could Convert the Proposed Vermont BRT Line to Rail

https://urbanize.la/post/study-explo...-brt-line-rail

Quote:

- A report to be given this week to the Metro Board's Planning and Programming sheds light on how an as-of-yet unbuilt bus rapid transit line on Vermont Avenue could be converted into a rail line in the distant year of 2067. The $425-million project, which was one of many projects approved through the passage of Measure M in 2016, is slated to begin construction in 2024 and open by 2028. It would extend approximately 12.4 miles starting at Hollywood Boulevard in Los Feliz and terminating just south of the Vermont/Athens Green Line Station at 120th Street.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 7:53 PM
Show me the blueprints

Just spitballing here, but are we the only country that plans 50 years into the future beneficial transport projects that could easily be justified now?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Just spitballing here, but are we the only country that plans 50 years into the future beneficial transport projects that could easily be justified now?
Yeah, I would be curious to know this.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:00 PM

Has anyone been on the southern portion of the Blue Line since it reopened? Has the new signal priority resulted in major time savings?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 9:56 PM

Uber planning ‘skyports’ for flying taxi service in LA
https://la.curbed.com/2019/6/12/1866...ts-los-angeles

Quote:
Fresh off its initial public offering, ride-hailing company Uber is continuing efforts to bring its taxi-like service skyward and this week revealed new details about a helicopter-like service it plans to roll out in Los Angeles and Dallas.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 9:09 PM

‘Stop this madness’: Valley residents trying to block bus rapid transit

https://la.curbed.com/2019/6/20/1869...brt-opposition

Quote:

- Metro’s Board of Directors will soon vote on whether to begin environmental review of a planned bus rapid transit project in the Northern San Fernando Valley, but some Valley residents are set on blocking the bus-only lanes. — A group called Save the San Fernando Valley which distributed a flier comparing the project’s Nordhoff Street segment to a rapid bus system in Delhi has encouraged residents to contact Metro directors to urge them to “stop this madness.” It appears they got the message. — Dozens of residents turned out to the committee’s meeting Wednesday to voice opposition to the project, arguing that removing lanes for cars would cause more traffic and disrupt the lives of those who live close by.

- The proposed project would run between the North Hollywood area and Chatsworth, passing through the communities of Sun Valley, Panorama City, and Northridge along the way. The route route hasn’t yet been finalized; the easternmost stop could be at the North Hollywood subway station or further west at the intersection of Chandler and Laurel Canyon boulevards. — Either way, the bus line would provide key connections to a planned light rail line along Van Nuys Boulevard and the Orange Line, an existing rapid bus that travels in dedicated lanes to the south of the proposed North Valley route. Several opponents said they would be more supportive of a bus route along Roscoe Boulevard, rather than Nordhoff Street. Right now, the eastern portion of the planned route runs along Roscoe, before turning north to Nordhoff around the 405 freeway.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 5:17 AM

In college, I got an assignment where I was supposed to ride the orange line and basically test whether citizens' concerns about it before it was constructed came to fruition.

I dropped the class, but I would be curious to know what the results of that assignment were. I wonder if people are more worried about the crowding of their neighborhoods than anything directly related to the operations of the line.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 6:08 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

What your guys' current "emotional state" regarding the future of LA transit in light of declining ridership, the Blue Line debacle, the closure of two critical Expo Line stations this summer, cheaper gas prices, more people opting to take Uber/Lyft, the homeless issue, Metro's questionable decision-making, NIMBYs, LA's complex political structure, etc.? It's hard not to be a pessimist these days.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 7:50 AM

Quote:
What your guys' current "emotional state" regarding the future of LA transit in light of declining ridership, the Blue Line debacle, the closure of two critical Expo Line stations this summer, cheaper gas prices, more people opting to take Uber/Lyft, the homeless issue, Metro's questionable decision-making, NIMBYs, LA's complex political structure, etc.? It's hard not to be a pessimist these days.
Gas prices can only go higher and Uber/Lyft will be penny stocks in three years.

Worries about the financial fragility of the fracking revolution have simmered for some time. John Hempton, who runs the Australia-based hedge fund Bronte Capital, recalls having debates with his partner as the boom was just getting going. “The oil and gas are real,” his partner would say. “Yes,” Hempton would respond, “but the economics don’t work.”

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...ost-fell-apart

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 12:32 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
I think right now Los Angeles transit is in a transitional period, and as such is in a temporarily rocky state. I'll feel more comfortable about making a judgement call when the Purple Line, The Sepulveda Line, and the Regional Connector are open.

With that being said, Metro really needs to get their act together concerning the bus system. There needs to be more of a spirit of innovation within the administration, and self introspection. It's clear the current strategy is not working, and something needs to change.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
It's clear the current strategy is not working, and something needs to change.
It's not that complicated -- far more people have been able to buy cars since about 2015 than were able to for the five preceding years. This is because of dealer credit which is getting all sorts of people into cars they cannot afford. Anyone with a pulse can drive a functioning used car off the lot, with hardly any money down, no matter their credit situation.

So in 2019, unlike in 2009, when somebody's car breaks down, it's often cheaper and easier to just get a brand-new car than to pay cash for the repairs. This is getting a lot of driveable used cars out on the road.

It's all enabled by cheap & easy credit.

A few years ago I had both my furnace and AC go out in the same year. I qualified for 0% credit so I went ahead and replaced both of them instead of paying cash for about $4,000 in combined repairs. I didn't have $15,000 in cash sitting around to pay cash for the new furnace & AC so if not for the credit that wouldn't have been an option.

It's the same with cars, and our crazy credit environment is stealing bus riders every day all across the country.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
1) Declining ridership is very concerning but can be addressed by adding more trains and reducing headways to normal numbers. Rush hour trains should be no more than 5 min apart, off peak should be no more than 10 min. Also need to remove the non paying homeless and other crazy people from the trains

2) Blue Line Debacle? They are upgrading the entire line in less than 6 months and will shave 15 - 20 min off the end to end trip time. Id say thats the opposite of a debacle

3) See above, what else could they do

4) Gas is at 4 bucks a gallon, i dont think its really cheaper than it has been

5) I think Uber / Lyft and E Scooters are the main reason why ridership has dropped. Its just so much easier to use these instead of Metro due to the fact that the headways are so far apart and that you will use rideshare to complelte a metro trip anyways so why use metro to begin with

6) The homeless must be removed immediately. The trains are not shelters. The purpose is to transport paying customers from point a to point b

7) rest are a bit vague to comment on

In general, we need to continue with the rail building, add more dedicated bus ways like the one on flower in downtown right now (Blue line substitute with 1 min headways on a dedicated lane), improve headways and ridership will grow

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:17 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Gas prices can only go higher and Uber/Lyft will be penny stocks in three years.
Higher gas prices would really only affect lower-income residents; I honestly don't see a large share of what's called "choice riders" leaving their cars in favor of public transit for that reason. And to be quite honest, I don't blame them given the poor quality of Metro's (unreliable) services. You can't increase headways to 20 minutes after 8 pm just to save a few million dollars and then act clueless as to why ridership is declining. Check out the LA Metro Rider Alerts Twitter account and you'll see that not a day goes by without delays due to mechanical issues, which also indicates poor maintenance of infrastructure (I know other US transit agencies are experiencing something similar).

It's not just the limited scope of Metro Rail services, but also the quality of the passenger experience that matters. Which is why it's absolutely crucial that the powers at be not fuck up the Sepulveda HRT. If Metro's leaders are smart (which is in serious doubt), they'll make it a fully-automated subway that runs, say, 21 hours a day with 2-4-minute headways throughout. At least then they can justify charging the premium fares they'll need to charge to turn a profit.

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation