HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:55 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
That's what I'm talking 'bout!

I was thinking even if they took a few % points of the total property taxes of office towers in the core, and dedicated that to public realm and infrastructure projects in the city centre, how far that'd would go here!
The overall idea at this point is a small slice of revenue from sources derived from within Centre City. There is $6 million in annual funding coming from general Transportation capital budgets, the other primary sources could be things like future parking revenue (from the parkades soon to be built by CPA), as well as a small % of property tax from a future increment. Developers will continue to contribute primarily through the density bonus regime.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 10:21 PM

Apparently Druh Farrel is worried that crime and social disorder downtown are regressing a bit. I personally have noticed there are more sketchy people than before, but I haven't seen any more drug dealing or disorder than before...
http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/106...rrell-worries/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Apparently Druh Farrel is worried that crime and social disorder downtown are regressing a bit. I personally have noticed there are more sketchy people than before, but I haven't seen any more drug dealing or disorder than before...
http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/106...rrell-worries/
Thought this was interesting:
"Farrell said the city saw great success with its 2006 “Clean to the Core” campaign to improve downtown safety, but new steps may be needed to address the current situation, once “we understand what the causes are.”"

Who wants to make a bet that the cause will be the DIC and the Sally Ann?
Call me a conspiracy nut, but I think this is just another step in getting the DIC out of the Core.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 11:55 PM

I first started working in downtown in 1986 as a summer student at the Calgary Tower. The view from the top has changed quite dramatically from that time. No Bow. No Eighth Avenue Place. No Bankers Hall even.

And I used to work downtown at night. Downtown was a fairly quiet place compared to now. Stephen Avenue still hadn't found its groove. We just got the Performing Arts Centre the Year Before.

There was no Vertigo Theatre or Theatre Junction - in the locations they were at.

The change in the number of restaurants downtown has been literally been staggering. We didn't have that many options as we do now.

There are two other things that I can think of that were different. Parking after hours and movie theaters.

There were movie theaters under the Tower (where Vertigo now is), in Fifth Avenue Place, where Theater Junction now is. The Grand was great as a movie theater. Uptown was open, as was a theater where Flames Central now is. So downtown was the place to go for a movie. And on $2.50 Tuesdays.... busy.

Also street parking was much different. You could get it. Now it doesn't matter when the street are packed every which direction.

One thing that change the downtown was the addition of the Olympic Plaza and downtown was crazy during the games themselves. Also we didn't have the great paths along the river like there are now. The River Walk is at a level where there used to be a asphalt strip.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Centre 10 Used to be a strip mall with a parking lot. Does anyone remember what used to be where Opus 8 now sits?

I think it was an empty lot, but I have this vague memory of something being torn down. Just checked street view and it only goes back to 2007 and Opus 8 was already under construction.

I'll riddle you this: What was the name of the lounge where Centre 10 is now?

Downtown has improved greatly since I've moved here in 1992. I can't remember the last time I've been asked if I wanted to score whilst on Stephen Ave Mall, but that might because I look like a cop now and I'm also considerably older.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 12:50 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I think it was an empty lot, but I have this vague memory of something being torn down. Just checked street view and it only goes back to 2007 and Opus 8 was already under construction.

I'll riddle you this: What was the name of the lounge where Centre 10 is now?

Downtown has improved greatly since I've moved here in 1992. I can't remember the last time I've been asked if I wanted to score whilst on Stephen Ave Mall, but that might because I look like a cop now and I'm also considerably older.
Honey's Pizza?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Thought this was interesting:
"Farrell said the city saw great success with its 2006 “Clean to the Core” campaign to improve downtown safety, but new steps may be needed to address the current situation, once “we understand what the causes are.”"

Who wants to make a bet that the cause will be the DIC and the Sally Ann?
Call me a conspiracy nut, but I think this is just another step in getting the DIC out of the Core.
I think a very telling part was where she said. “Even just outside the front of city hall, it’s a constant state,” she said. “There’s a lot of Listerine being consumed.”

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:44 PM
BANNED

I like these articles Richard puts together:

Quote:
Downtown cores: Denver vs. Calgary

Despite our smaller population, we’re the match of the Colorado capital

By Richard White, Calgary Herald June 12, 2014

Like Calgary, Denver has 2 waterways lined with parks and condos.

A recent visit to Denver reminded me of how similar, yet different, its downtown is to Calgary’s.

Downtown Denver is divided into 10 districts encompassing an area of about eight square kilometres. This would be the equivalent in Calgary of the downtown, Downtown West, the East Village, Beltline, Sunalta, Hillhurst, Sunnyside, Bridgeland and Inglewood.

Denver vs. Calgary at a glance

While Calgary’s central business district has twice as much office space and significantly better shopping (Denver has nothing to match our Hudson’s Bay, The Core or Holt Renfrew), Denver offers more museums, a baseball park and a huge convention centre. Both cities have two waterways lined with parks, pathways and condos — Denver has the South Platte River and Cherry Creek while Calgary has the Bow and Elbow rivers. While downtown Denver focuses on professional sports facilities, Calgary’s downtown forte is its recreational centres. Denver boasts its Elitch Gardens (a summer midway fairground and botanical garden) while Calgary has Stampede Park and the Zoo. Denver’s spanking new Union Station is the hub for an extensive regional transit system while Calgary’s 7th Avenue serves as its transit hub.

From a public space perspective, Denver has 69 hectares of parks (Civic Centre Park, Confluence Park, Commons Park and Centennial Gardens), but Calgary can go toe-to-toe with its 68 hectares, including Olympic Plaza, Prince’s Island, Memorial Park, Shaw Millennium Park, Fort Calgary Park, Eau Claire River Promenade and East Village River Walk.

From a contemporary architectural design perspective, Denver’s modern gems are the Denver Art Museum (architect, Daniel Libeskind) and Public Library (architect Michael Graves). Calgary easily matches that with The Bow (architect, Norman Foster), the Peace Bridge (architect, Santiago Calatrava) and Eighth Avenue Place (architect Pickard Chilton) and Hotel Le Germain (architect, LEMAYMICHAUD).

Tale of Two Malls

From an urban design perspective, both cities’ downtowns are dominated by pedestrian malls, which serve as their urban backbone, linking their respective neighbourhoods, attractions and amenities. The creation of downtown pedestrian malls was all the rage in the 1970s and ’80s. However, most have not succeeded in revitalizing their downtown as a shopping and dining destination, especially in large cities. Most of the North American pedestrian malls have been abandoned while others have added some car or transit traffic.

Calgary’s Stephen Avenue Walk and Denver’s 16th Street Mall are two of the more successful, large city pedestrian malls in North America. Denver’s 16th Street Mall is 16 blocks long, running from its Civic Center district through its Central Business District (CBE), LOGO and terminating at Union Station and the South Platte River. Technically, the 16th Street Mall is no longer a ‘pedestrian mall,’ as it now has a free shuttle bus (the equivalent to Calgary’s free fare LRT zone) that runs back and forth every five minutes, relegating pedestrians to sidewalks. While the 16th Street Mall links several districts, most of the major attractions are several blocks off the mall, including the Library, Art Museum, Convention Center, Performing Arts Center, Children’s Museum and Aquarium.

While Calgary’s Stephen Avenue Walk (also not a true pedestrian mall because it has traffic on it at night) is only six blocks long, however it connects pedestrians to the front door of an amazing number of its downtown activities and attractions such as City Hall, Olympic Plaza, Performing Arts Centre, Glenbow Museum, Convention Centre, historic district, Devonian Gardens and the Financial and Fashion districts.

After visiting the 16th Street Mall, I think it might it be time to consider extending Stephen Avenue to 11th Street SW, making it 12 blocks long. In doing so, it would provide a pedestrian-friendly link from the thousands of new condos planned for downtown’s West End, as well as to Shaw Millennium Park and the potential new contemporary public art gallery (at the old Science Centre) to the downtown and the downtown’s burgeoning East End. An expanded and redesigned Stephen Avenue could also accommodate cycling. The days of restricting urban streets to just one mode of transportation are gone. Good urban design evolves with changes in urban living. Today, the focus for creating vibrant urban places is on creating good pedestrian, transit, cycling and vehicular access.

Downtown Living

Denver has made significant residential development gains during the past 15 years, especially along the South Platte River and in LOGO. Currently, 66,000 residents live in their 10 downtown districts, with another 7,000 condo units under construction or planned. A similar comparison of the 10 communities surrounding Calgary’s downtown adds up to 65,000 residents. Recently, Altus Group (Calgary Herald, May 15, 2014) estimated there are 12,447 residential units proposed, in pre-construction and construction stages in our City Centre, and this doesn’t include those communities north of the Bow River or east of the Elbow.

Most of Denver’s new condo developments are mid-rise (10 to 15 storeys) compared to Calgary’s multiple 20-plus storey condos. Denver’s LODO (lower downtown) district is the equivalent of Calgary’s Beltline. Both are vibrant hipster and yuppie hangouts with diverse restaurants, pubs and clubs next to their respective central business districts. Twenty years ago, LODO was just a vision — today it is a lively urban village. This augurs well for Calgary’s East Village.

What downtown Calgary has that Denver lacks are the mixed condo/single-family residential villages next to its downtown — Hillhurst, Sunnyside, Bridgeland and Inglewood. There is nothing in downtown Denver that matches the street life of Kensington, 17th Avenue or 9th Avenue S.E. in Inglewood.

Last Word

Calgary’s greater downtown offers an amazing diversity of urban living options, from highrise to mid-rise, from townhouse to single-family and from riverside to parkside. Few cities in North America under two million people can match the diversity of urban living options Calgary has in its downtown neighbourhoods. The fact Calgary can go toe-to-toe with Denver’s downtown is significant given metro Denver has not only three times the population, but a downtown considered by urban planners to be one of the healthiest in North America. Calgarians (citizens, politicians, architects and developers) should be proud of the downtown we have created. While there is always room for improvement and we can’t be the best at everything, what we have accomplished for a city of just more than one million people is significant. There’s no need to apologize to anyone.

Downtown Denver is thriving with 26 new projects completed in 2013, totalling 2.2-million square feet (residential and commercial) and valued at $1.8 billion in private and public sector investment. Since 2008, 78 projects have been completed, are under construction or planned, totalling more than $5 billion.

From January 2013 to May 2014, the total value of building permits for Calgary’s downtown was $1.2 billion. Since 2008, Downtown Calgary boasts 100-plus projects completed, under construction or proposed since 2008, including more than seven million square feet of office space alone.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Do...857/story.html

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:26 PM

I was about to post that article lol.

I like the suggestion that we should expand Stephen Ave too, though I think there are a few buildings whose parkade exit onto 8th, so that would be a tough hurdle to overcome. Would love to visit Denver one day, everything I've heard about it suggests its a great city.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 6:10 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

A few comments:

1) LODO isn't really anything like the beltline, LODO is Denver's old warehouse district, so it's a mix of repurposed historic industrial buildings and new fat but not too tall buildings in a semi historicist style, the area is chock full of pubs and restaurants and is around 6 x 6 blocks of that.

LODO https://maps.google.com/maps?q=LoDo,...41.23,,0,-8.59

2) Although their mall is 16 blocks long compared to our 6, their blocks are configured such that it's the short edges of blocks rather than our long edges, so 850m vs 2.1 km

3) Although it has buses on the mall, they're quiet electric buses (or hybrid?) and they only take up one lane each side so in much of the area the middle lanes are tables and chairs and such https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...15.41,,0,-0.91

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 6:41 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Really good article that is very much spot on.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 6:54 PM
Editor

Quote:

I like the suggestion that we should expand Stephen Ave too, though I think there are a few buildings whose parkade exit onto 8th, so that would be a tough hurdle to overcome. Would love to visit Denver one day, everything I've heard about it suggests its a great city.
It can go another block west without affecting any parkades. the first parkade entrance is off of the Holt Renfrew building.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:04 PM

Quote:

If the Municipal Building is reno'd like we've heard it is planned to be to connect Stephen Ave to The Riff in the East Village then that would be a start

It would be awesome to have a connection from Stephen Ave to the eventual West Village redevelopment in the long term

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:07 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
If the Municipal Building is reno'd like we've heard it is planned to be to connect Stephen Ave to The Riff in the East Village then that would be a start

It would be awesome to have a connection from Stephen Ave to the eventual West Village redevelopment in the long term
I think that would be a nice to have, but would be concerned that businesses would migrate towards the east side due to the proximity to new residential.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I think that would be a nice to have, but would be concerned that businesses would migrate towards the east side due to the proximity to new residential.
The entire inner city could benefit from the upgrade of stephen all the way to 11th Street W. It is the only hope that the downtown core has of a nice, pedestrian friendly street. I hope they tack on some upgrades to the realm to improve things while they sort out the cycletrack upgrades. It might not have to be completely like the more popular eastern section of Stephen, but they could widen sidewalks, add the cycling space and tighter up lanes + add planters, better lighting etc. There couldn't be any impact on auto traffic, the road is a ghost town for cars every day.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Yeah definitely. There's a good amount of new retail west of the tree sculptures to 8th street, hopefully some more of the office space is converted to retail podium use. The new cidex mixed-use along 11street will help that western portion too. And connecting to the Riff is a no-brainer!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:01 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
It can go another block west without affecting any parkades. the first parkade entrance is off of the Holt Renfrew building.
I think the main problem is the sort of walkable small retail that existed on the west end of stephen ave has mostly been replaced with office towers over the years.That said there's a lot of opportunity to do things right west of 8th st.
That leaves 3rd st - 8th street.

3rd - 4th has 1 bank, 1 office building, and a blank wall
4th - 5th has a restaurant, holt renfrew, whatever is at the base of 8th ave place, another office tower, 2 parking entrances
5th - 6th some shops in the middle, office or parking at each end (Baron/Uptown plan is to remove all ground floor retail as far as a know)
6th - 7th hotel, offices, and parking
7th - 8th a few shops, mostly office and parking, and the park

So I guess is it worth making 3rd -8th pedestrian only during the day, or would the existing sidewalks be plenty for the amount of ped traffic.?

I'm totally supportive of rules that stipulate
a) redevelopment shouldn't have driveways on the avenue
b) redevelopment must have ground floor retail/services

With that 8th st - 11 st could become worthy of the Stephen Ave moniker in the next couple of decades, 3rd - 8th probably 30-50 years.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:29 PM
Editor

I like the idea of Stephen ave continuing through City Hall to the Riff, and I think it's quite feasible. The City would lose some office space, but it would be a huge win for the downtown and the development of the core in general. I'd be happy with a tunnel through city hall that was the width of Stephen Ave, and at least three floors high.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 8:41 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Things seem to have been worse since the flood, or at least it shifted the lowlifes around a bit. Kensington also seems to have a bumper crop of dirtbag punk kids this year.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:34 AM

Great Richard White article, but how does he figure Denver is 3x bigger than Calgary? Last I looked Denver didn't have 4.2 million people...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues