HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Not immediately, but probably sometime after next spring. I have to save up some money and make sure my mom and my brother are more capable of taking care of each other without me.
Awesome man, hopefully that goes well for you, and you can be here next year. I know it would suck for you leaving Thunder Bay (you are very proud of being from there after all) but you + Winnipeg makes sense for some reason. Hope all goes well with sorting that stuff out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post
That's awesome news man, same thing with Manitoba!

Quote:
Thinking of going back for the Labour Day week if anyone is interested in a meet-up on Labour Day weekend. Something like a Saturday afternoon walk along Portage/Main then meeting up somewhere for drinks. Hopefully next time we do this, more than just one person shows up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post
Labour Day weekend is Labour Day Classic in Regina -- Winnipeg at Saskatchewan! If you guys aren't able to get together over there, then maybe you might want to travel a few miles to here to join the party! Oh -- and wearing lots of green that day is imperative!
Would love to...but LDC I will likely be in Regina booing all that is green!! (sans Earth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Perhaps it's related to this?
that video is still humerous

Quote:
Weird as it is, it does look pretty. Maybe it has something to do with mosquitoes?
it might. ive actually never noticed them.

Last edited by roccerfeller; Jun 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 7:59 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Awesome man, hopefully that goes well for you, and you can be here next year. I know it would suck for you leaving Thunder Bay (you are very proud of being from there after all) but you + Winnipeg makes sense for some reason. Hope all goes well with sorting that stuff out.
It's sort of a weird feeling in that this city is depressing as hell, but I want to stay just to watch how bad it gets in the future. It's like a car accident that you get to observe from the very middle instead of from the sidewalk.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 9:36 PM

Quote:
It's sort of a weird feeling in that this city is depressing as hell, but I want to stay just to watch how bad it gets in the future. It's like a car accident that you get to observe from the very middle instead of from the sidewalk.
haha...well you can always watch from afar, way out in Winnipeg I suppose. Consider when you're on the sidewalk, you're not in the car

That said I'll take your word on the depressing end. I've enjoyed Thunder Bay every time I've gone, but I've never lived there.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
Labour Day weekend is Labour Day Classic in Regina -- Winnipeg at Saskatchewan! If you guys aren't able to get together over there, then maybe you might want to travel a few miles to here to join the party! Oh -- and wearing lots of green that day is imperative!
Quote:
Would love to...but LDC I will likely be in Regina booing all that is green!! (sans Earth)
That's the party spirit! No matter what the outcome of the game is and who is able to participate in whatever capacity, I'm sure it'll be one big festive time! Hopefully you and anyone (everyone) else can make it to Regina soon(-er) and enjoy all our city has to offer! See y'all around for the LDC!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 11:11 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
That said I'll take your word on the depressing end. I've enjoyed Thunder Bay every time I've gone, but I've never lived there.
The city is fun for brief moments, but those moments are too brief and too infrequent, and often cost more money than they're worth.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
The city is fun for brief moments, but those moments are too brief and too infrequent, and often cost more money than they're worth.
fair enough. though, Winnipeg seems like a very natural move for you. I remember when I first started posting here I thought you were from Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 12:07 AM
I am a typical

Lots of people thought I was from Winnipeg for a while. I've been an honourary Winnipegger since 2007.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 2:22 PM

price of potash to dip

Press Releases Rabobank Report: Impending Uneconomics of the Potash Market

NEW YORK, June 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A new report authored by Rabobank's global Food & Agribusiness Research and Advisory group looks at the global potash market and scenarios for change through 2020. The "Playing the Potash Field" report predicts that, while the potash outlook will depend on several key variables, regardless, there will be substantial overcapacity, ranging between 59 per cent and 100 per cent of demand.

Key Points of the Report

http://www.foodanddrinkdigital.com/p...-potash-market

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Lots of people thought I was from Winnipeg for a while. I've been an honourary Winnipegger since 2007.
haha, well you seem to understand much about the urban fabric of this city. more so than many people who actually live here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Press Releases Rabobank Report: Impending Uneconomics of the Potash Market

Key Points of the Report

http://www.foodanddrinkdigital.com/p...-potash-market

Hmmm. Interesting. From the link:

Quote:
....Of the key influencing variables, the first issue is the extent to which Brazil, India and China – which collectively were responsible for 40 per cent of total potash imports in 2011 – are prepared to endure uneconomic projects for the sake of securing supplies either domestically or by investing in overseas developments.
&

Quote:
"In the end, it is mainly geopolitical and long-term strategic security parameters that justify such investments," said Rabobank analyst Dirk Jan Kennes. "From a pure economics angle, many of these investments might render losses if prices come under pressure due to oversupply."
But will that happen? That's a pretty big assumption on this analysts part. I mean, to discredit the potential extent by which Brazil, India and China might be concerned about losses due to oversupply? Certainly, the guy/firm has not taken into account those respective country's individual measurements against such a possibility. Potash is important to them and their economies; they will make it work as much as needed.

Quote:
The second factor is the ability of producers to secure financing. This is not a problem for the mining giants but it could affect the prospects of projects by smaller companies, many of which will struggle to secure financing for capital expenditure of at least US$1,000 per tonne of capacity.
Hmm. I dunno. When the same argument was brought against Oil and Oil companies, the opposite occurred. Granted, small companies might still struggle against the giants, but that doesn't mean the industry will wane; rather the larger players will become larger. Some smaller players will become big, some will be bought out by larger companies. Might some of the interested companies end up being Chinese, Brazilian or Indian takeovers?

Quote:
"Finally, the response of established players to new entrants could also affect the arrival of new entrants. More than 60 new projects have been announced, but the existing producers have low production costs and the ability to increase their own output, which could reduce prices to a level that makes new production uneconomic," co-author Rakhi Sehrawat added.
Key word here is "could". I don't, at the moment, agree with the sentiments that such a model is "impending" but I suppose it "could" happen

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 7:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Who going to folk fest? Sun has finaly come out after the storm looks ro be a good night

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 4:54 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

popes hill last night

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 4:14 PM

^ Whoa really nice pic 1ajs!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...161537745.html

A WFP Special, Nice read about moving the north end rail yards somewhere else.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 6:37 PM
I am a typical

So much potential.

Thunder Bay tried to get CN to remove its waterfront rail yard but the cost was too high, and the entire project associated with it was managed really badly. The land potential there could satisfy the next decade of growth in our city, and that rail yard is tiny compared to the one in Winnipeg's north end.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 6:48 PM

Quote:
So much potential.

Thunder Bay tried to get CN to remove its waterfront rail yard but the cost was too high, and the entire project associated with it was managed really badly. The land potential there could satisfy the next decade of growth in our city, and that rail yard is tiny compared to the one in Winnipeg's north end.
Yeah, there would be an insane amount of development and growth potential linked with the relocation of these yards, not to mention potential socio-economic boundaries blurred. The description of these yards being Winnipeg's "Berlin Wall" was enticing and in some ways is quite accurate.

I wouldn't expect such a development to ever go through however, and at the very least, not for a very long time (like 30 years). Its been debated about for a long time already, but we wouldn't be able to afford it without some serious financial help.

But if they could be relocated amidst CentrePort, that would be great. It would also be an exceptionally large project.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 8:39 PM

About a month ago, I read in the Chinese media (via translation - 2X) that 'Sky City' in Changsha, HN will be built - from scratch - in SEVEN MONTHS!!!! If this is the case, then the building would have been COMPLETELY prefabricated and ready to go.

Look-up 'Sky City' on the 'New Diagrams' page - you can't miss it!

I know how you guys will respond to this; but anywhere else, this would be a 20-year-long project.

I sure hope someone proves this wrong!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SkydivePilot; Jul 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 12:22 AM
I am a typical

My Flickr has been seeing a decline in views since I started uploading my Winnipeg photos so if you guys could alleviate that please and thank you.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 2:26 AM

Quote:
My Flickr has been seeing a decline in views since I started uploading my Winnipeg photos so if you guys could alleviate that please and thank you.
Great pics - you should do a "photo tour" thread, if you haven't already...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
popes hill last night
Dude, I was probably up there trippin' on the lights and music when you took that shot lol

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 9:51 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Great pics - you should do a "photo tour" thread, if you haven't already...
I'm still processing (but I'm almost done!), and once I am done processing I am going to make a thread.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 2:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoy03 View Post
Dude, I was probably up there trippin' on the lights and music when you took that shot lol
kool man

anyhow

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan