HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 5:37 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
If you are trying to get community buy in for a potentially controversial project, why not at least spend a few dollars on a competent good looking render done in a program that isn't MS paint?

This reminds me of the first CalgaryNEXT renders, which may as well have been a giant middle finger photo-shopped to the top of the greyhound station for how much effort was put into them.

Yes it is reminiscent of that level of cheap laziness. Another thing that might help their case would be to actually show it in context with the DT behind it instead of having the building essentially blot out the entire skyline and appear to be the tallest thing outside the Rocky mountains. When you're dealing with people concerned about the height of the building that should be fairly obvious I would think.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 5:41 PM

As I recall this one was discussed to death already. Hopefully we won’t get a round two if the previous debacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
In more construction related news they spoke about that proposed Inglewood tower which is called The Grid this morning on CTV. I guess there will be an open house or something to address the community's concerns. That should go well...

At least the plans have space for a coffee shop...

FWIW I'm not sold at all on the look of this so far. It couldn't appear more slapped together and incongruous design wise. The townhomes and the tower don't go together at all. It looks like massing models based on monopoly properties mashed together in Sketchup.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I have heard of some exciting stuff coming soon! Well.....not 2013 exciting....but some old projects are reviving. Some downtown condos.

Cheers Ya'll
Maybe you can elaborate a little? Leaving a post saying that there is exciting stuff coming and not leaving any details is pretty vague, can you add something to it?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 6:33 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Arch View Post
As I recall this one was discussed to death already. Hopefully we won’t get a round two if the previous debacle.
But now there's a new angle of it! A new horrible MS Paint rendering to analyze. They need to send this back to the drawing board I think. I'm not opposed to height in that area but this project reminds me of something Lake Placid Group would build.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:25 PM
Reach for the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Arch View Post
Maybe you can elaborate a little? Leaving a post saying that there is exciting stuff coming and not leaving any details is pretty vague, can you add something to it?
Exactly. Why bother coming on to say there’s good things coming and not have any details to go with it. Does anyone remember that guy silent Bob? Used to come on and say there’s something exciting or not tell anyone anything, really kind of annoying.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 8:08 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Exactly. Why bother coming on to say there’s good things coming and not have any details to go with it. Does anyone remember that guy silent Bob? Used to come on and say there’s something exciting or not tell anyone anything, really kind of annoying.
Actually SilentBob broke the news about a lot of developments. I miss his contributions.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 9:00 PM
Reach for the heavens

Quote:
Actually SilentBob broke the news about a lot of developments. I miss his contributions.
Really? Only ince did he ever pass on info that was Worth a nickel, and that was the Telus Brookfield was going to be announced, and it was like one day ahead of the announcement. Big whoop. The rest of the time it was pointless posts saying something is coming, but not offering any details. Bloody annoying.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=SteveP;8078430]Really? Only ince did he ever pass on info that was Worth a nickel, and that was the Telus Brookfield was going to be announced, and it was like one day ahead of the announcement. Big whoop. The rest of the time it was pointless posts saying something is coming, but not offering any details. Bloody annoying

Be happy that somebody might put something construction related on this forum. All there is is bitching about other posters

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 11:12 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Really? Only ince did he ever pass on info that was Worth a nickel, and that was the Telus Brookfield was going to be announced, and it was like one day ahead of the announcement. Big whoop. The rest of the time it was pointless posts saying something is coming, but not offering any details. Bloody annoying.
I miss the days when insiders dropped hints about upcoming projects. I got to see plans for the library before it was officially announced and got descriptions of Telus Sky and 707 Fifth. It was exciting. These days all this thread seems to attract are pages and pages of gifs, personal attacks or just plain nothing.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 2:27 AM
BANNED

I recently went by the University District, and there was increased earth movement on the lot directly east of the children's hospital. Till now, other than the original each moving, I've only seen major activity in the pond/garden/pedestrian boulevard, and the group of condo buildings along 39th street (and for a while, the paving work on some of the roads).

Unfortunately, there has been no construction updates on their website since November 7th

https://myuniversitydistrict.ca/news...ction-updates/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 3:47 AM

According to the discussion at Skyrise it’s a project called Rhapsody. Started construction couple weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I recently went by the University District, and there was increased earth movement on the lot directly east of the children's hospital. Till now, other than the original each moving, I've only seen major activity in the pond/garden/pedestrian boulevard, and the group of condo buildings along 39th street (and for a while, the paving work on some of the roads).

Unfortunately, there has been no construction updates on their website since November 7th

https://myuniversitydistrict.ca/news...ction-updates/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 8:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
According to the discussion at Skyrise it’s a project called Rhapsody. Started construction couple weeks ago.
Yes - that is the location.

NOTE - I'm not 100% on how my image attributions should be. These websites are actively marketing these buildings using these images, and I'm not using the images for personal commercial purposes, so am assuming this is "fair use". If others can guide, that would be helpful.

Last edited by BlaineN; Feb 18, 2018 at 8:16 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 8:51 AM
BANNED

I can't remember if this University District flyover was ever posted:

In the first part of the video where it shows "phase I" is where there are several (perhaps five or so) buildings all under construction right now. It is immediately west of the old-school UC family housing.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 2:37 PM

Angry Forum Negativity and Criticism

Quote:
I miss the days when insiders dropped hints about upcoming projects. I got to see plans for the library before it was officially announced and got descriptions of Telus Sky and 707 Fifth. It was exciting. These days all this thread seems to attract are pages and pages of gifs, personal attacks or just plain nothing.
I've been a member of skyscraper forum for many years but noticed over last few years how much backbiting, miserable criticism, and general lack of respect for other people's postings (opinions) that are continually found on this site. You don't have to agree with other individuals opinions but name calling and a constant barrage of negativity has no place on this site!! GROW up people!!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:08 PM
BANNED

Crane installation for the MacKimmie Tower project is this weekend.

I think the University (main campus), West Campus / University District, and the Foothills Campus are going to be one of the few highlights for Calgary construction.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 4:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I miss that also. While I provided a lot of information on the BMO / Stampede plan last September (which still has not been fully released) what I didn't have is renderings of how the new plan will look. If anyone finds those, that would be a nice thing to learn more about. Victoria Park is going to be awesome one way or another - it is just a matter of time.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:04 PM
That's what she said

You miss those days too? Lol. I guess you’ve forgotten the days when you were troll #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I miss that also. While I provided a lot of information on the BMO / Stampede plan last September (which still has not been fully released) what I didn't have is renderings of how the new plan will look. If anyone finds those, that would be a nice thing to learn more about. Victoria Park is going to be awesome one way or another - it is just a matter of time.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:08 PM
That's what she said

It hasn’t been that bad. Take away the great Inglewood debate and there hasn’t been much backstabbing or biting. People have different opinions, and it will happen when you’re on an Internet forum. it’s up to those who maybe are criticized to have a bit thicker skin. I don’t know how many of you have been to read it, but it is far worse than us, and yet it still useful for him and people still use it. This is nothing in comparison to Reddit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbp View Post
I've been a member of skyscraper forum for many years but noticed over last few years how much backbiting, miserable criticism, and general lack of respect for other people's postings (opinions) that are continually found on this site. You don't have to agree with other individuals opinions but name calling and a constant barrage of negativity has no place on this site!! GROW up people!!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 6:16 PM
Fake News

Thanks for sharing the construction update and renderings suburbia. Looking forward to this being built. That would really create more of a community around the U of C than currently exists.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 6:18 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
You miss those days too? Lol. I guess you’ve forgotten the days when you were troll #1.
Let's move past that. He doesn't troll anymore. Sadly he's one of the few actually contributing construction updates on here now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates