HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 12:35 PM

The one house I rented in NW Philly had a Pittsburgh Potty. I like the romanticized version that says it was for workmen who wanted to clean up before going in the rest of the house, but I have a feeling they were really for more this:

Quote:
Alternatively, they may have served to prevent sewage backups from flooding the living areas of homes. As sewage backups tend to flood the lowest fixture in a residence, a Pittsburgh toilet would be the fixture to overflow, containing the sewage leak in the basement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_toilet

I wonder if the topography, particular hilly neighborhoods, had something to do with it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
The one house I rented in NW Philly had a Pittsburgh Potty. I like the romanticized version that says it was for workmen who wanted to clean up before going in the rest of the house, but I have a feeling they were really for more this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_toilet

I wonder if the topography, particular hilly neighborhoods, had something to do with it.
Maybe. A basement floor drain can serve the same overflow "function" (no need to ask me how I know).

Growing up 1 of 4 kids in a house with a single bathroom, the utility of having a second "emergency" toilet can't be understated, especially during an era of large families. Just wanting a second toilet and having the ability to get one (cost, location) should be explanation enough for their presence, maybe even a selling point to the original home owners.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 12:04 PM

Do San Francisco homes without enclosed toilets have any historical or architectural significance, or is it just an unconventional design choice?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 5:54 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
I don't think doorless garage toilets are that common lol. I was born and raised in SF, and this is the first time I've heard of it. But a normal, door-having bathroom on the ground/garage/"basement" floor (that's how garages are often used here) is very common...as are in-law apartments (in/beside/behind the garage, in the backyard, etc), so it makes sense for there to be a bathroom down there.
Haven't seen this before either. If there is a toilet on the ground level then it's usually incorporated into a fully developed and furnished living area (with bedroom(s), kitchen, living/dining room, etc) behind the garage, as an actual bathroom with sink and doors.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions