HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

375 East Wacker Drive in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 2:54 AM
I'm going slightly mad.

Very insightful post. Thanks for that.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 2:31 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! View Post
.....Chicago wasn't always defined by big boxy buildings. Pre 1950 most of the tallest towers were slender and had some sort of ornamentation on top.....
Well said, although I love a well-done box, too.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 3:08 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Well, the new rendering doesnt really strike me. I fail to see how this building is being progressive...and if in Chicago doing glass is progressive, I must say I'm disappointed. Honestly, if it weren't for the height, this think would fit in many 3rd world skylines...Bangkok comes to mind...maybe just because i am there right now.

I thought Arqui was supposed to be a more progressive firm. I'm not seeing it here and i don't feel all excited just because it has a nice hole.

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 9:59 PM
Chicago 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
This picture cinches it for me. If it has that look and height, it will look great in the skyline. I actually love it. Not sure why this one is hated by so many. There is nothing particularly offensive or ugly about it's design. It's a relatively ornate box with a large void at the top. What's to hate?
WOW can we get that with CS?!

Old Posted May 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
This picture cinches it for me. If it has that look and height, it will look great in the skyline. I actually love it. Not sure why this one is hated by so many. There is nothing particularly offensive or ugly about it's design. It's a relatively ornate box with a large void at the top. What's to hate?
I agree. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those buildings that really grows on people who disliked it at first. I was actually surprised that my initial (and still holding strong) reation to the design was so positive....if anything I'm usually disappointed at the unveiling of a much-anticipated tower design (probably due more to my high expectations than anything else...)

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 3:33 AM
tilted & shifted

Nothing terribly interesting. Just a shot of the site:

Old Posted May 28, 2007, 3:41 AM

I assume the fenced off area is the site? That's pretty wide!

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 3:54 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

That might be fenced off for construcion stuff/equipment for the other buildings though.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 8:43 PM
you know where I'll be

A certain "Building C" with a value of $500 million just popped up on the Bidding Opportunities section of Walsh Group's website...

...$500 million to me sounds like a more realistic construction cost for this project than the $400 million that was reported in a recent Tribune article...

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 12:39 AM
Show me the blueprints

The topic has been brought up many times, but does anyone have any insider knowledge of whether or not CDOT plans on extending Upper Wacker and/or reskinning it in Old Wacker's beaux arts facade? The way the LSE towers on Wacker are being built, one would think that they are planning on Wacker eventually lining up and at the upper deck level to the West.

I know about the Swissotel plans or whoever is behind that but I also know that I remember Daley saying something a few years back that that was the eventual plan. I would like to see the classical Wacker terrace extend all the way to a terminus at LSD. It would make up a little for the destruction of the S-curve.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 4:05 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The topic has been brought up many times, but does anyone have any insider knowledge of whether or not CDOT plans on extending Upper Wacker and/or reskinning it in Old Wacker's beaux arts facade? The way the LSE towers on Wacker are being built, one would think that they are planning on Wacker eventually lining up and at the upper deck level to the West.

I know about the Swissotel plans or whoever is behind that but I also know that I remember Daley saying something a few years back that that was the eventual plan. I would like to see the classical Wacker terrace extend all the way to a terminus at LSD. It would make up a little for the destruction of the S-curve.
I am not sure if it is but an idea like yours needs to be in the cards. Or else in ten years the rest of the main branch of the river may be a sparkling diamond with the southeast part looking like a POS misfit out of place at an otherwise classy party.

I don't think one would even need to extend the upper level all the way to LSD to make it work though that seems like the most obvious fit. If it means it could be done quicker I wouldn't mind something modern and differant then the beaux arts design in that section. I think the next thing on the plate though is the north/south Wacker Drive rehab though no?

Old Posted May 31, 2007, 5:01 AM
TL;DR

Hmm... Busy Bee, the Hyatt Regency, as part of a renovation plan, will build a rippled stainless-steel wall along Wacker from Michigan to Columbus along the river. Hyatt wants to build a skybridge hanging from the underside of Upper Wacker (like BCBS has) in order to better connect their guests with the riverfront.

The wall looks ultra-modern, designed by Gensler, and very classy. It will certainly clash with the old Beaux-Arts section on Michigan Ave Bridge and Wacker further west, but it looks to be a pleasing contrast.

Now, I haven't heard of anything for Wacker east of Columbus, but Upper Wacker should definitely be reconnected with Upper LSD. This would be tricky, considering that it would require a lighted intersection that would back traffic on LSD across the bridge, but hey.. it works at a level 10 feet lower.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 3:15 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I think the Hyatt plan looks great too. But is that actually a serious porposal? I thought it was just a concept. Do they have a planned start date?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 3:57 AM
TL;DR

Well... once Hyatt has the resources to go through with the renovation, I'm pretty sure they will follow that plan. It WAS exhibited as part of the Massive Change exhibition, but everything I've read about it refers to the design as an actual plan for Hyatt expansion. The exhibition was only 5 months ago, remember - it's not as if it is some dead plan that was seen briefly 4 years ago.

Oh, and the caption for Massive Change also says that Gensler is working on a master plan for the rest of the riverfront from Columbus to LSD, including a "Green Market" for the city. This seems more fanciful to me. If you want to see a nice plan, go to Gonzalez Hasbrouck, which designed a plan (shown below) incorporating townhomes and a large deco building built between the disconnected Upper levels. I'm pretty sure this plan is speculation, though..

Last edited by ardecila; Jun 1, 2007 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 4:18 AM
BANNED

^^^^^^Ok a little help where on the river is this vantage point

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 4:57 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

well, the LSD bridge is the the bottom left...and the river flows east...so....yeah.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 5:29 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Wow, that concept looks pretty pimped. I would like to see more details but it looks like the scheme from what I can make out of it. I like the idea of some well done lowrise modern residential near the riverwalk to provide a contrast and sense of intamacy to the river.

About the Green Market though I thought there were ideas about putting a green market underneath the 333 Wacker section of the riverwalk? Anyone else remember reading something like that or did I pull that out of thin air?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 11:14 AM
I'm going slightly mad.

How in the world could the Hyatt be able to afford this? They should focus on improving the interior of the less than stellar hotel first I would think.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 12:11 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

The above proposal is NOT the Hyatt proposal. The Hyatt proposal is smaller...I'll try to dig up a pic.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
well, the LSD bridge is the the bottom left...and the river flows east...so....yeah.
breaking news from 1900 AD: the river now flows west!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive