HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 5:29 PM
There is always a way

I think that they could probably put some department or faculty downtown, but the cost of abandoning their investment in the Fort Garry campus would be insane. But it would be really great if they could slowly start sending specific programs downtown.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I think that they could probably put some department or faculty downtown, but the cost of abandoning their investment in the Fort Garry campus would be insane. But it would be really great if they could slowly start sending specific programs downtown.
The issue with that is that programs aren't self contained like Red River. Students can be taking classes in many different faculties and cant be expected to go from one campus to the other for different classes.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:36 PM

the damage the u of m has done with sucking tenants out of downtown to that "smart" park (whatever is smart about this suburban, car-dependant development has always been lost on me) is another thing to remember!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:41 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The issue with that is that programs aren't self contained like Red River. Students can be taking classes in many different faculties and cant be expected to go from one campus to the other for different classes.
Yeah that's what I thought too. Which is why they may be able to get away with sending things like law or business which basically have nothing to do with more general programs. Hut yes it would nonetheless be incredibly inconvenient.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:43 PM

^ That Smartpart absolutely sucks, but the U of M squandered so much land there with extremely inefficient layouts that it thankfully mitigated the effects of the whole thing.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yeah that's what I thought too. Which is why they may be able to get away with sending things like law or business which basically have nothing to do with more general programs. Hut yes it would nonetheless be incredibly inconvenient.
Law may work, but business isn't really self contained. There are degrees offered through Asper that have many science (math, stats) and arts (econ) requirements.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 6:51 PM

The epic amount of money it would take to relocate the U of M would be far far far better spent on improving what's currently there. More and better faculty, more programs and classes, renovations (I'd love to see a big name donor step up to improve the gross barns that typically pass for toilets on campus), improved student facilities, better amenities and supports, etc.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 7:09 PM

the somewhat substantial residential densification of Pembina adjacent to the campus is encouraging at least!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:00 AM

The SmartPark is horrific. There was no need for U of M to buy the golf course – they already had so much un(der)used land on campus... just need better planning.

I understand the need for some development of that type on campus, but it should be hidden at the back, with better mixed use buildings along Chancellor Matheson hiding them, and making the highway into campus... a street.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:09 PM

Good for RRC and UWinnipeg on having vision for downtown. UManitoba - yeah would be nice but I get it. And as others have pointed out the idea of students taking busses back and forth to classes is... not good. THere'd need to be something in place so students who would be mostly downtown would have options to take certain essential / popular courses at the theoretical downtown arm so they don't have to commute back and forth multiple times a day.

I'd love to see UW grow to accommodate more students - right now about 10,000 compared to UManitoba's 30,000 (200 postgrads to 3000 postgrads respectively - rest are undergrads) - I don't know the economics / logistics of how post-secondary educations grow like that but to me that would be an exciting place to start and UW already in position. Does anyone know if thats possible or even realistic - even an additional 5000 students and the expansion that would bring would do wonders.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:25 PM

^ I don't know how the student numbers have tracked, but it seems to me that U of W went through a bit of a growth phase, mainly during the 00s when Lloyd Axworthy was in charge.

Back in the 90s when I was in university, the U of W gave off a really stagnant vibe... hardly anyone from my high school went there. I get the impression it's considered a more desirable place these days. But I don't know how much bigger it could get... I suspect the province would not really want to start duplicating programs already offered by U of M just to satisfy the U of W's urge to grow.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 7:53 PM

U of W almost doubled under Axworthy, went from 5-6k to 9k, now around 10, by it has been fairly stagnant since his departure. Will be interesting to see if they can get the growth up again with new leadership.

The economy and thus many industries and trades are becoming more highly specialized by the years. Many “skilled” industries are placing more value on experience and real training as opposed to degrees. This bodes well for RRC, and to an extent UW as well, and in my opinion makes the U if M’s golf course acquisition even more suspicious as I just don’t see them having anywhere near the level of growth required to really maximize that land.

Long term planning doesn’t seem to be U of m’s strong suit.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 6:36 AM

I don't think there will be anything in the golf course redevelopment that is education related... It'll all be housing/stores/restaurants/etc

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 12:53 PM
BANNED

It would be nice if the U of M would move some programs downtown.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 1:02 PM

I think Law could definitely move downtown as you have next to zero interaction with other faculties. A number of courses actually take place downtown at the Legal Help Centre for example. A beautiful mid-rise campus would probably take up an entire big parking lot around the convention centre. And the Law School’s current building is at least 30-40 years old. A renovation or complete rebuild in the next decade wouldn’t be unimaginable.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 1:12 PM
BANNED

That would be brilliant.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 2:38 PM
There is always a way

Mid rise and mixed use

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
I don't think there will be anything in the golf course redevelopment that is education related... It'll all be housing/stores/restaurants/etc
There's nothing planned officially yet, but not hard to imagine some things going in there if new buildings are needed down the road. My point was more that they should have just continued to densify the existing campus & smartpark to make the campus more human-friendly and livable. It's shocking that a university of that size doesn't have a little commercial strip in it with retail, restaurants and bars. It's poor planning and foresight, as they've just let others capitalize all along Pembina – except that's really bad for student life. The hike to the Pembina strip malls in winter is borderline unbearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverUnder View Post
I think Law could definitely move downtown as you have next to zero interaction with other faculties. A number of courses actually take place downtown at the Legal Help Centre for example. A beautiful mid-rise campus would probably take up an entire big parking lot around the convention centre. And the Law School’s current building is at least 30-40 years old. A renovation or complete rebuild in the next decade wouldn’t be unimaginable.
100%. Most specialized faculties don't need to be on campus, like architecture, certain medicines, etc. With the way U of M does the U1 program, in theory once you're past that and have declared your major, most faculties are self-contained. Some students may choose to minor in something else – but there's so many courses delivered online now, many already may not even need to be on campus for those.

I know this obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but when I went to uni out of high school I chose U of W specifically because it was downtown. I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do yet, but anything on my radar was available at both. I had no interest in trekking out to U of M (wanted to be downtown) when it didn't make a difference to me. I did communications and business, and at the time the business program at U of W was really taking off, and in my second year Buhler opened, so it was fantastic.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 3:32 PM

Oh and PS if that marble effect on the roof overhang is for real – incredible.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 9:36 PM
There is always a way

Well they might be able to move a couple faculties downtown but the core campus will always be out where it is. We're talking multi billion dollar investments to make the full move today, not to mention all the dead businesses out on south pembina left in its wake. Also not to mention the 650 million dollars we're spending to send a rt line to that part of the city

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan