HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 11:08 PM

48 Hours in Dallas

It's a great article on what National Geographic wrote about Dallas, from it's towering skyscrapers to the newest additions like Klyde Warren Park, Perot Museum, and the Arts District to the flavor of Dallas restaurants.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...-hours-dallas/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 1:30 AM

Another very good article about the transformation of Dallas published a couple of months ago in the Chicago Tribune:
(as an aside, metro DFW is projected to overtake metro Chicago-Joliet-Naperville as the 3rd largest metro in the nation before 2030)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Emerging Dallas

New "front lawn", bridge part of transformation

by Wendy Donahue, Chicago Tribune Travel, Sunday, August 12, 2012
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...,7454959.story

Chihuly glass exhibit at the Dallas Arboretum (Chicago Tribune)

DALLAS — Like spokes stretching from its 400-foot arch, the steel cords of the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge propel us from the glossy downtown Arts District to gritty West Dallas.

Renowned Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava, performer Lyle Lovett and 3,000 partygoers blanketed the westbound lanes of Calatrava's bridge for its over-the-top unveiling in March. Now, on a sunny Tuesday afternoon, our rental car crosses its elegant expanse alone. The breeze in the grass makes the only waves in the Trinity River bed below.

Here is a city at a crossroads.

Its image often reduced to fast cars, fervent shopping and the fall of JFK, Dallas is striving to diversify that view while uniting its sprawling metroplex with a string of architectural marvels downtown. "In Dallas, we love the impossible," Mayor Mike Rawlings said at the celebration of the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, which soars as the symbolic hub of Texas-sized ambitions.

The city's accomplishments over the past few years have turned heads.

To the bridge's east is the Arts District, where the vermilion walls of the Winspear Opera House and the aluminum tube-covered cube of the Wyly Theatre attract curiosity from the Woodall Rogers Freeway.

A bit farther north is the new three-block-long Klyde Warren Park, scheduled to open Oct. 27 with shady paths, a performance stage for concerts, a dog park and a children's garden, where a storytelling balcony will encircle an oak tree. Interactive fountains aim to mitigate temperatures that blazed past 100 degrees for 40 consecutive days in summer 2011. A restaurant is scheduled to open in 2013.

Conceived as Dallas' front lawn and named for the son of a pipeline executive, the 5.2-acre Klyde Warren Park was designed in part to cover a stretch of the Woodall Rogers Freeway. Its more critical role is to bring a pulse to a dormant zone between the Arts District and Uptown. So a steady stream of free programming will include fitness boot camps, movie screenings, ballroom dance lessons, creative drama classes for children, a putting green and an outdoor lending library.

As intended, the park and other cultural enhancements have stimulated residential construction downtown, but not without courting controversy.

The $1 million-plus apartments of the new Museum Tower overlook one of downtown's jewels, the Nasher Sculpture Center. Designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Renzo Piano and opened in 2003, the Nasher boasts works by Rodin, Picasso and Degas. On the late afternoon that we stroll through the sculpture garden, Magdalena Abakanowicz's "Bronze Crowd" and the folded-arm figure of Aristide Maillol's "La Nuit (Night)" are bathed in shade. But at times the tower's reflective glass creates intense glare and heat. Fearing damage to its holdings, the Nasher has pressed for corrective measures.

Within a block stand the Dallas Museum of Art and the Crow Collection of Asian Art. The new Perot Museum of Nature & Science, designed by Pritzker Prize laureate Thom Mayne, is scheduled to open nearby in January, pointing to another source of debate: The museums and performing-arts venues are more concentrated here than in most cities. That's convenient in one sense, but natives and tourists alike lament that the cultural attractions, thus far, are unmatched by restaurants, shops or even storefronts that sell bottled water.

A similar vacancy greets us when we cross the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge from downtown.

At the western terminus lie dusty vacant lots, Skittle-colored corrugated warehouses and auto-repair shops. A few blocks away is Ray's Sporting Goods, a gun-lover's paradise.

Some tourists might be tempted to turn back. But staying the course a few minutes southwest, past modest residential neighborhoods and Spanish-language billboards, my mom and I arrive for lunch on the cactus-flecked, tented patio of Bolsa, a cafe known for organic ingredients from local growers. At this laid-back destination of gentrified Oak Cliff's Bishop Arts District, bruschetta with melon, cucumber, royale chevre and mint awakens our palates. It's half-price wine bottle day. My mom and I laze more than two hours, my idea of vacation nirvana.

My mom's is fresh-baked pie a la mode. But while Bishop Arts boasts art galleries, vintage shops and boutiques, the Emporium Pies bakery won't open till fall in a converted purple house.

So we drive back toward downtown, where we happen upon the iconic homage to old Texas, the Pioneer Plaza bronze sculpture of 70 larger-than-life steers being herded down a man-made ridge. Like this city's more recent cultural projects, this one spurred protests in the 1990s. Dallas never was a cow town — that's Fort Worth's distinction, said artists who sued to halt the project.

Now, though, that criticism seems forgotten. Children hop along the stones to cross the stream beneath the waterfall, and a family smiles for a portrait on the lawn.

Beyond downtown: Snapshots of a stay

Former President George W. Bush was eating a souffle at n° 1 rise (5360 W. Lovers Lane, risesouffle.com) near his home when President Barack Obama called to say Osama bin Laden was dead. So we ordered Bush's specialty, the crab souffle — savory but foamy.

The frontier cabins of Texas Town captured my daughter's and niece's imaginations at the Dallas Arboretum (8525 Garland Road, near White Rock Lake, dallasarboretum.org). Benches along tranquil gardens and ponds gave their grandmother a respite. An exhibit of Dale Chihuly's glass sculptures continues at the arboretum through Nov. 5.

With designer fashion and home goods in front and a cafe in back, Forty Five Ten (4510 McKinney Ave., fortyfiveten.com) draws shoppers such as Oprah Winfrey, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jessica Simpson. Owner Brian Bolke says his Dallas clientele love fashion, architecture, art and design in equal measure. "The women here live big, full lives and are unashamed of being in fashion," he said. He credits the arts scene for moving the city forward. The neighboring home furnishings store Nest (4524 McKinney Ave. nestdallas.com) exudes warmth with a European accent.

Borrowing relatives' bikes on a Thursday afternoon, my husband and I cycled the honeysuckle-fragranced Katy Trail from Highland Park south to the American Airlines Center, where the Mavericks play. On our return trip we pulled over at the trail-side patio of the Katy Trail Ice House (3136B Routh St., katyicehouse.com), where wayward office workers sipped the curiosity that is the beerita, a margarita with an open bottle of beer bobbing in it. Dallas isn't particularly bike-friendly, but bike rentals are available for $35 per day, including a helmet, at Dallas Bike Works (4875 W. Lawther Drive, dallasbikeworks.com) near the White Rock Lake trail.

No trip to Dallas would be complete without gawking at the ritzy homes and the Dallas Country Club along Beverly Drive and ending up at Highland Park Village (Mockingbird Lane and Preston Road, hpvillage.com), where my husband and I enjoyed Tex-Mex and top-shelf margaritas at Mi Cocina and watched well-heeled, weekday shoppers at Christian Louboutin, Hermes and Stella McCartney.

We noted the absence of pedestrian or bike lanes on the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge. We then learned of plans to turn the Continental Street Viaduct, which parallels the new bridge (named for philanthropist Hill), into a pedestrian and bicycle passage later this year. A plaza will provide a unique vantage point from which to behold the new bridge as a landmark that broadens Dallas' horizons.

Last edited by skys the limit; Oct 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:02 PM

More photos from Klyde Warren Park.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...rs-freeway.ece

Last edited by JoninATX; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:23 PM

the park looks awesome!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 2:50 PM

It would be cool if they could do a phase 2 and extend it all the way somehow to the 35 now that would be dynamic!!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2012, 8:56 PM
high five!

So. Young: Century-old Butler Bros. building gets new lease on life

By Rudolph Bush
rbush@dallasnews.com
1:20 pm on October 24, 2012

The old Butler Brothers warehouse at 500 S. Ervay St. has been a drag on downtown so long that the promise it will finally be restored feels almost too good to be true.

But today, that promise seemed very real as more than half the City Council and a who’s who of downtown development joined the building’s owner, Mike Sarimsakci, in formally announcing plans for the Butler Brothers’ redevelopment.

We brought you the news last week that Sarimsakci’s Alterra was putting forward a plan to convert the building into an extended stay Hilton-branded hotel as well as 250 residential units and 21,000 square feet of retail space.

If it comes to be as conceived, the project would change the face of downtown’s southeastern section. The Farmers Market and townhome development around it are the area’s current anchor. The Butler Brothers project could quickly become its center of gravity, though, with the potential to add several hundred new residents, as well as a large number of hotel guests.

Mayor Pro Tem Pauline Medrano noted the growth and redevelopment that has seized much of downtown in recent years.

“In downtown Dallas we have the West End, we have the Arts District, we have the southern Omni area. Now it is time to invest in the eastern part of our downtown and our Farmers Market area,” she said.

Sarimsakci is doing just that. He said today he expects the residential component of the project should open at the end of 2014. The hotel will be open in early 2015, he said. Talks with Hilton are in progress but a final deal has not been signed, Sarimsakci said.

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/2...-on-life.html/

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
48 Hours in Dallas

It's a great article on what National Geographic wrote about Dallas, from it's towering skyscrapers to the newest additions like Klyde Warren Park, Perot Museum, and the Arts District to the flavor of Dallas restaurants.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...-hours-dallas/
thanks for posting this pic ..... stunning. 110 million dollars, nothing is cheap.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 9:57 AM

this is how the W hotel and the mandarin oriental hotel were supposed to look .... but the financial crisis happened. just wanted to share

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 4:25 PM

Thanks for torturing us again with that.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 2:34 AM

Uptown Dallas to get new 22 story office tower

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 2:54 AM

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 3:59 AM

wow, are they gonna beat the Victory Tower, McKinney Ave project and Spire to market?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlhorn View Post
wow, are they gonna beat the Victory Tower, McKinney Ave project and Spire to market?
Most likely. But I doubt they will be doing much leasing in this building as it seems that Frost Bank approached them to build it for them. Probably won't affect much of the leasing market in the Dallas core.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 5:44 AM
Hopeful Graduate

But what I dont get is couldn't Harwood have put frost into thier planned office tower such as XII or VII as an anchoring tennat even though they would have left over floor space, which could eventually be filled by other tennants?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
But what I dont get is couldn't Harwood have put frost into thier planned office tower such as XII or VII as an anchoring tennat even though they would have left over floor space, which could eventually be filled by other tennants?
Clearly Frost didn't want to be in a multi-tenant building.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 2:57 PM
Verticle

Watching the Residences at Stoneleigh go up from my office window at Quadrangle. This taken yesterday, 11/13/2012

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Snob View Post
Watching the Residences at Stoneleigh go up from my office window at Quadrangle. This taken yesterday, 11/13/2012

Wow, it really dominates the old Stoneleigh. Nice view!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:01 PM
Verticle

I know I posted yesterday, but here is a picture of the Stoneliegh residences this morning from my office window. I see they are finished all "livable" floors and are just working now on the mechanical rooms on the top of the building. Should top out any day. I also can see the Carlisle cranes from my office and will post a pic.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:09 PM
Verticle

Here is a pic of the cranes building the Carlisle. It's in an area that slopes down towards Turtle Creek. Even though it's about three stories above ground already, it will take a few more before I can see it from my office building.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 4:12 PM
Verticle

A pic of the apartment complex going up adjacent to the new Baylor Medical building in West Village. This is off of Lemmon Ave in back of Albertsons.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations