HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Which state will end up with the highest population?
Georgia 21 35.00%
North Carolina 39 65.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:28 PM
BANNED

North Carolina for sure.

Just about ever metro in NC is growing rapidly. From Charlotte, through High Point, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Burlington, Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh is going to continue to grow forming a large arch of urban suburban growth, infill and sprawl that is anchored by numerous colleges and universities and high paying jobs.

The southern pocket of the state will hold on to it's rural agricultural feel, with smaller cities like Fayetteville, Wilmington becoming more desirable than they are today, yet much smaller.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
North Carolina for sure.

Just about ever metro in NC is growing rapidly. From Charlotte, through High Point, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Burlington, Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh is going to continue to grow forming a large arch of urban suburban growth, infill and sprawl that is anchored by numerous colleges and universities and high paying jobs.

The southern pocket of the state will hold on to it's rural agricultural feel, with smaller cities like Fayetteville, Wilmington becoming more desirable than they are today, yet much smaller.
You're exaggerating a bit. The only metros in NC that are truly growing rapidly are Charlotte, the Triangle, and Wilmington but Wilmington's metro is only around 300K. The Triad (Greensboro-High Point and Winston-Salem MSAs), Fayetteville, Asheville, and Greenville are posting average/above average growth rates and small metros like the Unifour (Hickory-Morganton-Lenoir) and Rocky Mount are stagnant.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 1:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
You're exaggerating a bit. The only metros in NC that are truly growing rapidly are Charlotte, the Triangle, and Wilmington but Wilmington's metro is only around 300K. The Triad (Greensboro-High Point and Winston-Salem MSAs), Fayetteville, Asheville, and Greenville are posting average/above average growth rates and small metros like the Unifour (Hickory-Morganton-Lenoir) and Rocky Mount are stagnant.
The Charlotte CSA, the Triad CSA, the Trangle CSA, run up to one another forming an arch across North Carolina along the 85 corridor and all 3 are high growth areas in the state.

Since 2010, the bookends, Charlotte CSA has grown by +15%, The Triangle CSA +17 and in between the bookends +6%.

North Carolina is growing by about 1 million people per decade. The rural counties are experience stagnant growth, some negative. Much of the growth is focused in this area I'm describing above.

Here's an article from 2013 talking about the same thing:
https://www.wral.com/research-sugges...come/13198443/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:28 PM

I agree on NC.. a little more temperate, plus more metros, plus charlotte is poised for more growth than ATL

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
The Charlotte CSA, the Triad CSA, the Trangle CSA, run up to one another forming an arch across North Carolina along the 85 corridor and all 3 are high growth areas in the state.

Since 2010, the bookends, Charlotte CSA has grown by +15%, The Triangle CSA +17 and in between the bookends +6%.

North Carolina is growing by about 1 million people per decade. The rural counties are experience stagnant growth, some negative. Much of the growth is focused in this area I'm describing above.

Here's an article from 2013 talking about the same thing:
https://www.wral.com/research-sugges...come/13198443/
I live in the Carolinas so I know what's what. Charlotte and the Triangle are high-growth areas for sure, but not the Triad--and that's not a slight against the area but that's just not an accurate statement. It's experiencing healthy growth but with a growth rate of 5.56% since the beginning of the decade, it isn't anywhere near boomtown status like the other two.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 9:44 PM

will be interesting to see how it plays out. atlanta might not continue to dominate in the coming decades if we can't figure out our transportation and water issues. there are a couple of smaller metros that could be poised to start growing more quickly, namely columbus and savannah. columbus is sort of a mini atlanta corporate-wise, with the HQ's of aflac, tsys, synovus and panasonic energy.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 9:48 PM

This is a tough call. NC is a little more diversified than GA. However rates of growth of both states have been very close in recent years. There is a belief around that Atlanta is in for another significant growth spurt in the 20s, in which case GA would remain more populous. The next census should prove most interesting and give a better, though not perfect answer. My prediction is, FA by a nose.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 9:49 PM

Make that GA by a nose!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
This is a tough call. NC is a little more diversified than GA. However rates of growth of both states have been very close in recent years. There is a belief around that Atlanta is in for another significant growth spurt in the 20s, in which case GA would remain more populous. The next census should prove most interesting and give a better, though not perfect answer. My prediction is, FA by a nose.
How is NC more diversified???

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:33 AM

Will depend on if the expansion of the Port of Savannah has an effect on the growth there. Savannah is really the only other metro that has a real chance to go somewhere(in terms of population) in GA.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 1:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I live in the Carolinas so I know what's what.
Ok. I too have lived in the Carolinas -- I currently do not.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
How is NC more diversified???
I meant in terms of number and size of large cities. NC has several; GA has one.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
I meant in terms of number and size of large cities. NC has several; GA has one.
How are you defining "large cities"?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
How are you defining "large cities"?
I would say a metro of >500,000.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
I would say a metro of >500,000.
In that case, Georgia has two: Atlanta and Augusta (with part of the metro across the border in SC).

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
In that case, Georgia has two: Atlanta and Augusta (with part of the metro across the border in SC).
Damn, Georgia is really like a southern Illinois in this sense. It only has about a million people less than Ohio, but Ohio has 7 metro areas with more than 500,000 people.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 9:47 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I never heard of Georgia as a southern Illinois but it makes sense. I always thought of it as a Southern New York, having the nickname “ Empire State of the South” and all.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
And NC has 4 with 1 m plus Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro and part of Virginia Beach + Fayettecille, Myrtle Beach and Ashville are all sizable.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
And NC has 4 with 1 m plus Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro and part of Virginia Beach + Fayettecille, Myrtle Beach and Ashville are all sizable.
Even with all of them combined, ATL is far larger and always will be, Savannah, Augusta, Macon, Columbus, Dalton, Chattanooga burbs, Valdosta, are all growing steadily. Spell check please if you know so much about NC cities as well. Last time I checked MYB is in SC...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, NC easily has more midsized metros than GA; that's pretty established. But I think you're stretching things a bit by using CSAs and small parts of metros that extend into the state. Otherwise you'd have to be consistent and include Jacksonville and Chattanooga for GA.

As for Myrtle Beach, technically its metro does now extend into NC as it snatched Brunswick County from Wilmington's MSA, but having seen the commuting data at the time the change happened, I didn't see where the 25% threshold was met. Local, state, and NC-based federal officials/politicians appealed the decision, but the feds didnt budge.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/...gton-grow-fast

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions