HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Yep.

The only luck the warehouse would have is if government wanted it. And with the only real people looking for newer space is SaskPower and the Police. But then what would you do with those spaces.
It is adjacent to SaskPower's existing (too small) warehouse and yards.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 10:41 PM

SaskPower's downtown location at least makes sense to convert to condos

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
SaskPower's downtown location at least makes sense to convert to condos
Or hotel. It has a very narrow hotel-like floor plate.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missinglink View Post
So is this your personal opinion or do you have access to some factual data for the 60M+ number that you would like to share?
He just wants you to know how smart he is. Usually states what appears to be an opinion but often has some solid data or logic behind it. Funny, almost never a reference though...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skphc08 View Post
He just wants you to know how smart he is. Usually states what appears to be an opinion but often has some solid data or logic behind it. Funny, almost never a reference though...
Aww, did realty not fit your narrative? Poor baby.

Go look up the Altus or BYT Cost Guide yourself. Or just ask your insurer what the replacement cost is for your crappy house.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 12:27 PM

For reference, 500,000 square feet is roughly the size of all three Hill Towers combined.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:11 PM

http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/census-s...ewan-1.3648816.

Saskatchewan has a growing immigrant and Indigenous population, according to Statistics Canada’s 2016 census data.
Of the one million people who live in the province, 10.5 per cent were born in a different country.
The majority of Saskatchewan immigrants are from the Philippines, India, China and United Kingdom.
The percentage of new immigrants living in Saskatchewan reached four per cent, up from one per cent 15 years earlier.
The census also provided recent numbers on the Indigenous population.
More than 15 per cent of Saskatchewan’s population identifies as Indigenous.
According to Statistics Canada, since 2006, Saskatchewan’s Indigenous population has grown more than 20 per cent.
Saskatoon has a higher Indigenous population than Regina, with 9,700 more people identifying as Indigenous.
The census data was released on Wednesday.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 11:20 PM

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I wouldn't rule Canada out. Amazon is already having some consequences from the change in appetite in the U.S. for immigrants. (A friend of mine works for them with a TN visa, and they're sponsoring his green card so that he gets rid of uncertainty; they probably wouldn't have bothered if not for all these changes.) With Canada being quite welcoming to professional immigrants, and Calgary and Toronto being quite ethnically welcoming, and convenient to access from Seattle (both have non-stop flights; Toronto has better access to a talented employee pool, including from nearby Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, but Calgary is a very short flight from Seattle and can be driven in a day [I just did that earlier this month]. I'm not sure Canada will get this second headquarters, but I think Amazon would be unwise not to think long and hard about it.
Ottawa's pitch video for Amazon HQ2 is impressive. I've lived there - they're really not stretching the facts mentioned in the video. While I initially thought Ottawa was a looooooong shot, I actually think it checks a lot of Amazon's boxes.
  • 1.3million metro;
  • waterfront space available downtown for an 8million sqft campus with capacity for 50,000 people;
  • campus is at the junction of their new light rail/transit corridor;
  • 4 universities & 5 colleges;
  • natural recreational (white water; skating; hiking; etc) options within a 5min walk of the campus;
  • vast cycling paths;
  • 130+ embassies;
  • 200million people within a 2 hour flight;
  • YOW is consistently in the top 3 airports in North America (overall), and top 3 with fewer than 5million passengers;
  • 2nd highest concentration of IT professionals & scientists in north america;
  • most educated populace in Canada;
  • access to numerous government offices;
  • US embassy within walking distance;
  • etc

They're far from a shoe-in - Calgary & Toronto give them a run for their money among the Canadian contenders - but they aren't the long-shot I originally thought.

Last edited by Drofmab; Oct 26, 2017 at 4:41 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:35 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Ottawa's pitch video for Amazon HQ2 is impressive. I've lived there - they're really not stretching the facts mentioned in the video. While I initially thought Ottawa was a looooooong shot, I actually think it checks a lot of Amazon's boxes.
  • 1.3million metro;
  • waterfront space available downtown for an 8million sqft campus with capacity for 50,000 people;
  • campus is at the junction of their new light rail/transit corridor;
  • 4 universities & 5 colleges;
  • natural recreational (white water; skating; hiking; etc) options within a 5min walk of the campus;
  • vast cycling paths;
  • 130+ embassies;
  • 200million people within a 2 hour flight;
  • YOW is consistently in the top 3 airports in North America (overall), and top 3 with fewer than 5million passengers;
  • 2nd highest concentration of IT professionals & scientists in north america;
  • most educated populace in Canada;
  • access to numerous government offices;
  • US embassy within walking distance;
  • etc

They're far from a shoe-in - Calgary & Toronto give them a run for their money among the Canadian contenders - but they aren't the long-shot I originally thought.
Honestly, any Canadian city, including the fore-mentioned, have a slim chance of getting Amazon's HQ2 for one simple reason: Subsidies.

I'm not familiar with the tax codes for Canada and the US, as well as supplying subsidies for businesses, but I can't help but think that Canada as a whole is more stingy when it comes to using the subsidized money for corporations.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 6:51 AM

Does anyone know what is the nature of the work being done behind Golden Mile Mall?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 2:45 PM

[QUOTE=blacktrojan3921;7965482]Honestly, any Canadian city, including the fore-mentioned, have a slim chance of getting Amazon's HQ2 for one simple reason: Subsidies.

I'm not familiar with the tax codes for Canada and the US, as well as supplying subsidies for businesses, but I can't help but think that Canada as a whole is more stingy when it comes to using the subsidized money for corporations.[/QUOTE]

Except in Quebec. They even subsidize cement plants there (but only if the owners are well connected).

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skphc08 View Post
Does anyone know what is the nature of the work being done behind Golden Mile Mall?
I assumed it's just utility connection to the new apartments/condos on Rae. Not certain though.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:10 PM

[QUOTE=Stormer;7965724]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Honestly, any Canadian city, including the fore-mentioned, have a slim chance of getting Amazon's HQ2 for one simple reason: Subsidies.

I'm not familiar with the tax codes for Canada and the US, as well as supplying subsidies for businesses, but I can't help but think that Canada as a whole is more stingy when it comes to using the subsidized money for corporations.[/QUOTE]

Except in Quebec. They even subsidize cement plants there (but only if the owners are well connected).
Your point is valid, but you're being polite.
In the QC context, "subsidize" = "kick-backs/protection fees" & "well-connected" = "organized crime/corrupt union bosses."

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 3:18 PM

[QUOTE=Drofmab;7965769]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post

Your point is valid, but you're being polite.
In the QC context, "subsidize" = "kick-backs/protection fees" & "well-connected" = "organized crime/corrupt union bosses."
Read this:

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/rep...obeandmail.com

...and what's worse it competes with privately funded cement plants who pay taxes.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:13 PM

[QUOTE=Stormer;7965791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post

Read this:

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/rep...obeandmail.com

...and what's worse it competes with privately funded cement plants who pay taxes.
Of course it would involve the Bombardier-Beaudoin family. Of course it would. They're effectively a cleaned-up, acceptable mafia. They're amazing at coercing money out of governments for dubious "investments/bail-outs." These projects never seem to return the promised economic benefits (let alone "loan" principle)... see Cseries, which was given away for precisely $0. Sorry, I mean a mutually beneficial strategic partnership was established

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 6:21 PM

Need to fix quotes on the posts above

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 8:13 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Well, seeing as how it looks like neither Montreal nor Quebec City are likely to land the Amazon bid, I think my point still stands

But I do see everyone's point here, since it is apparent that QC appears to be the exception to the norm.

Last edited by blacktrojan3921; Oct 27, 2017 at 8:25 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:31 PM
Paidge Beaulieu's Ex-BF

Will stand corrected if not but I don't think Quebec City put in a bid for Amazon.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
"Yeah you're going to want to take a left on Green, then go past Green, then a bit further, then a right on Green, a left on Green, and then the third house after Green. If you hit Green, then you've gone too far."
Go to Mustard, pass Canola, then turn right at Ketchup.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan