HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
Due to archaic union regulations in the city, Starbucks hasn't opened a Starbucks with Starbucks employees.
Not really 'archaic union regulations in the city,'... tampering with union organization is frowned upon in virtually every jurisdication I know of. And Starbucks did it not once. not twice. but three times!

Starbucks has everything to do with the situation they're in. Starbucks (corporate) was found to have actively tampered with the union & unionization efforts at the Chapters location... so, it's not surprising that after being caught contravening legislation three times, they were put on an extremely short leash. They could open two-dozen corporate locations in Regina tomorrow, if they like. Nothing's stopping them - their behaviour has made an expansion like this more complicated (and likely more expensive over the long term), but they need only look in the mirror for someone to blame.

...and this comes from a guy who is far from a union sympathizer. I'm astonished at how poorly Starbucks repeatedly managed the issue - it's not as though they don't have unionized stores: they do. And it's not like they don't have lawyers who could give advice on how to 'gently' avoid unionization, without pissing off regulators: they do. many of them. They just made a series of stupid decisions.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 6:51 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
I guess I was wrong - sounds like Calgary is a strong contender for Amazon's HQ2...

Sorry Toronto, Calgary and Denver seen in horse race for Amazon HQ
Calgary offers the right labour pool, a high quality of life and a willingness to pay to play in bid for the tech giant's new headquarters

The NY Times analysis "Dear Amazon, We Picked Your New Headquarters for You" didn't include any Canadian cities. Not because the NYT rules Canada out... simply because they chose not to make the effort to find the data necessary for their analysis This analysis essentially looked at the Canadian data the NYT was too lazy to dig up.

Sounds like any Canadian location is a long shot, though.
"Odds are it won’t come down to Calgary vs. Toronto, though, because moving to Canada doesn’t seem to be in Bezos’ best interests: the company would be opening itself up to a 15 percent foreign buyer’s tax, amid a host of other legal and regulatory challenges associated with being a bi-national firm. Locating up north might also be a bad move for a company sparring with US lawmakers, and emphasizing its identity as an American brand."

In all honesty, I would be surprised if any US-based technology company decides to set up base in any Canadian city. XD

Despite Silicon Valley being known for being socially liberal, they are notorious for being anti-union and anti-regulation, which I imagine their work style would not work in Canada; even technology hotspots like the Waterloo region, Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 11:48 AM

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
In all honesty, I would be surprised if any US-based technology company decides to set up base in any Canadian city. XD

Despite Silicon Valley being known for being socially liberal, they are notorious for being anti-union and anti-regulation, which I imagine their work style would not work in Canada; even technology hotspots like the Waterloo region, Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto.
I wouldn't rule Canada out. Amazon is already having some consequences from the change in appetite in the U.S. for immigrants. (A friend of mine works for them with a TN visa, and they're sponsoring his green card so that he gets rid of uncertainty; they probably wouldn't have bothered if not for all these changes.) With Canada being quite welcoming to professional immigrants, and Calgary and Toronto being quite ethnically welcoming, and convenient to access from Seattle (both have non-stop flights; Toronto has better access to a talented employee pool, including from nearby Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, but Calgary is a very short flight from Seattle and can be driven in a day [I just did that earlier this month]. I'm not sure Canada will get this second headquarters, but I think Amazon would be unwise not to think long and hard about it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
When will CTV learn that many would rather read a story than watch a video?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
When will CTV learn that many would rather read a story than watch a video?
Yep. One of my biggest pet peeves of news organizations is having videos only on some of their online news stories. I do a lot of my browsing on my phone without earphones so I don't want a video playing. Just give me the option to read the same story as the video.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 12:42 AM

What, you guys don't like inane comment from someone speaking unnecessarily slow while interviewing boring people?

I haven't watched a local newscast in over a decade and as far as I'm concerned it can just die.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 11:29 AM

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...iled-to-public
Rosewood Park concept plan ready to be unveiled to public

Pamela Cowan, Regina Leader-PostPAMELA COWAN, REGINA LEADER-POST
More from Pamela Cowan, Regina Leader-Post

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
What, you guys don't like inane comment from someone speaking unnecessarily slow while interviewing boring people?

I haven't watched a local newscast in over a decade and as far as I'm concerned it can just die.
I do agree, some of the new CTV Regina reporters have zero energy. Also, I find certain voices just brutal to listen to. There is no energy (and they are the Young ones!!!)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 7:24 PM

No one is more frustrated than me.’ Regina’s mayor wants Capital Pointe project finished
Regina, SK, Canada / 620 CKRM
Christina Cherneskey

September 26, 2017 08:24 am
This new permit has a two year time frame, but the city has the authority to declare the permit is expired if “meaningful construction” has not begun within six months. http://www.620ckrm.com/2017/09/26/139309/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 11:30 PM

They have the address wrong on the new Connaught school, they have it on the 3400 hundred blk. 13thAve. it is situated on the 3500 hundred blk. 13th Ave.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodo Regina Lover View Post
They have the address wrong on the new Connaught school, they have it on the 3400 hundred blk. 13thAve. it is situated on the 3500 hundred blk. 13th Ave.
Do you mean the actual physical address numbers on the building?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 6:50 AM

Yes there are huge numbers on the 13th Ave. side of the school with the address as 3400 blk. 13th Ave.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 7:07 AM

Yeah the numbers are 3465 in huge numbers! This is a little weird isn't??

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 12:08 PM

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...-business-park

City council approves biweekly garbage, Chuka Creek business park
The mill is among the first buildings on the site of the Chuka Creek business park, for which a concept plan was approved at Monday.

Mah is worried that the noise will only grow as the site develops.

Murad Al-Katib is CEO of AGT Foods, another company on site, and principal of the land-owner company Long Lake Investments.

His vision is an intermodal facility, similar to the Global Transportation Hub. Goods will move in and out of Regina using Canadian National Rail, which connects with 70 per cent of major international shipping companies.

The site would consist of mainly warehousing, trucking and distribution firms, as well as farm equipment dealers and service companies. Al-Katib predicts the site will create hundreds of jobs.

The intermodal facility would run weekdays, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., and weekends, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Bylaw officers investigated the noise from the flour mill, but found it was within the bylaws.

In any case, Ward 4 Coun. Lori Bresciani said she spoke with NutraSun and they have committed to decreasing the noise.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodo Regina Lover View Post
Yeah the numbers are 3465 in huge numbers! This is a little weird isn't??
It is odd since the address is 3515 13th Ave. Maybe they'll figure it out when the mail doesn't get there.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 10:44 PM

www.cjme.com/2017/09
New industrial area could create ‘thousands’ of future jobs
This will lead to a significant economic boost in the Regina plains … I believe it won’t be hundreds, I believe it’ll be thousands of new jobs in the coming years.”

The first phase of the intermodal centre will cost about $30 million Al-Katib estimated. He said work is already happening at the site and hopes to have that facility ready by September 2018 at the earliest.

Great news

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:30 AM

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
I've been railing on the fact that these new joint use schools are stupid. You have a massive new subdivision and there's one school in it. That means there are huge areas where no kid can possibly walk to school. At the very least they should have put the public and separate schools on opposite sides.

Additionally, when the separate schools are made in to public schools (long overdue) it'll be even worse.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutallydishonest2 View Post
i've been railing on the fact that these new joint use schools are stupid. You have a massive new subdivision and there's one school in it. That means there are huge areas where no kid can possibly walk to school. At the very least they should have put the public and separate schools on opposite sides.

Additionally, when the separate schools are made in to public schools (long overdue) it'll be even worse.
this

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan