HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:45 PM
BANNED

A lot of great landscaping along these blank walls can do wonders.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 4:39 PM

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:12 PM

I wish they could've just called it RBC Winnipeg Convention Centre... familiar and not as clunky.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:18 PM

Video of the sneak peek:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...347016602.html

Behind paywall.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I wish they could've just called it RBC Winnipeg Convention Centre... familiar and not as clunky.
The challenge of putting a prefix on an established name, especially a corporate branding, is that most people will end up ignoring it. The Winnipeg Airport learned that the hard way until it stopped using the Winnipeg part of its name.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 7:37 PM

I walked by the RBCCC expansion on two sides, and I noticed that the Carlton side has a nice metal-cladding finish while the Edmonton side has just naked ugly-ass cinder blocks. Not a pretty look, especially compared to the original north of St. Mary Ave and its elegant tyndall stone.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 2:08 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The challenge of putting a prefix on an established name, especially a corporate branding, is that most people will end up ignoring it. The Winnipeg Airport learned that the hard way until it stopped using the Winnipeg part of its name.
That's why arenas are all called "centres" these days, because you can't refer to "the Centre", leaving out the corporate sponsor's name, in the way that you could do with "the Arena" or "the Forum". Probably the same reasoning behind "Investors Group Field", as opposed to "Investors Group Stadium".

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That's why arenas are all called "centres" these days, because you can't refer to "the Centre", leaving out the corporate sponsor's name, in the way that you could do with "the Arena" or "the Forum". Probably the same reasoning behind "Investors Group Field", as opposed to "Investors Group Stadium".
Interestingly, I note that people quite often refer to IGF as "the new stadium" or these days, just "the stadium". Yet everyone almost always calls the MTS Centre by its proper name.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interestingly, I note that people quite often refer to IGF as "the new stadium" or these days, just "the stadium". Yet everyone almost always calls the MTS Centre by its proper name.
I think that's probably because we really only have one true stadium... there are a lot of arenas though. The only other possibility (University Stadium) is right beside IGF anyway haha.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 3:11 PM

Reg: corporate branding. The name of the Winnipeg Convention Centre was officially changed to RBC Convention Centre some time ago, hence the change of the current thread title to reflect it. Please PM a mod if you feel other changes may be necessary or new information is available.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 1:55 PM

was here over the weekend and it looks so impressive. the lighting under the building as you drive through is so awesome, very bright and energetic. though I was in Vegas for a second or two! very impressed!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 7:22 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
A lot of great landscaping along these blank walls can do wonders.
Indeed, the city would be smart in hiring some professional graffiti artists to liven up its appearance.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 7:35 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
the glass ball room over York ave looks amaaaazinggggggggg..

definitely adds a new level of vibrancy to the area... also makes it look a lot more appealing and modernized.
Looks like it could be Toronto.

That's nice. Because we already have the Toronto-ish Manitoba Hydro nearby.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 11:37 AM

https://www.facebook.com/RBCConventionCentreWinnipeg/

The exterior cladding isn't as bad as I had initially thought..hmm..

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:20 PM

A question about the skywalk connection to TNS in the Canada subforum got me wondering... now that RBCCC will be better integrated into the skywalk network, I wonder if there is any thought being given to connecting the new south wing to 363 Broadway? It would extend the skywalk all the way down to Broadway for the first time, and you'd think it would be a selling point for that building.

FWIW the leasing page for 363 Broadway just mentions "future skywalk potential"

http://www.morguardleasing.com/build...45012#features

(Oh, and now that the new wing is being used for events, can we officially call the construction phase complete in the subject line? )

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:24 PM

I also wonder about completing the loop for the main skywalk. The empty lot at St. Mary and Edmonton is the only gap, immediately west of the convention centre. You could then walk a loop all the way around from MTS Centre.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I also wonder about completing the loop for the main skywalk. The empty lot at St. Mary and Edmonton is the only gap, immediately west of the convention centre. You could then walk a loop all the way around from MTS Centre.
Lakeview had a couple of false starts with hotel proposals that never materialized. They're the final obstacle.

I suppose there is also the stretch through The Bay parkade which is covered but basically outdoors.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:47 PM

^Ya that's true. Maybe that parkade needs to be gone and something in it's place. I guess one day that loop will be completed.

I drove through the convention centre the other day (weird I know), and they have the LED lighting turned on, on the ceiling. Haven't seen it before. Looked cool, might be more flashy at night.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:51 PM

^ The Bay Parkade is hideous and can't be replaced soon enough IMO. The fact that whatever replaces it will probably close the skywalk loop is just a happy bonus.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 9:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The Bay Parkade is hideous and can't be replaced soon enough IMO. The fact that whatever replaces it will probably close the skywalk loop is just a happy bonus.
It's hard to believe the PSB Parkade is unsafe and the Bay Parkade is somehow still able to operate. I know aesthetics don't matter in terms of structural integrity but man, it looks like it could fall over in a stiff wind.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan