HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Oh and look, even more student housing is coming. Also, HUGE DRC meeting this month!

https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...nda-121019.pdf

This is the biggest Midtown DRC meeting in a while.
WHOA!

1138 Peachtree St - Hasn't this been before the DRC already?

1230 West Peachtree St. - I like the sound of this!! And this is on a one acre site.  

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post

Looks like a great addition to West Midtown. Very exciting!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Anyone else tired of the student housing? How is that market not oversaturated yet? I fear a huge bust or overcorrection is coming soon. Soon, we're gonna have entire boulevards lined with student housing...I follow development updates of many cities and it really does feel like Atlanta is the only city building this much private student housing. Let's just pray that these can convert to workforce housing pretty easy when the student loan bubble bursts.

That would only happen if enrollment at Tech and GSU crashes. These off-campus buildings are equal to and sometimes less than on-campus dorms with far better amenities.

It's been years since Tech built any dorms despite growth of its enrollment and GSU has never had enough on campus housing.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 7:21 PM

The Hanover project has a really cute architecture firm
Quote:
Solomon Cordwell Buenz is the architect.
https://www.scb.com/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Anyone else tired of the student housing? How is that market not oversaturated yet? I fear a huge bust or overcorrection is coming soon. Soon, we're gonna have entire boulevards lined with student housing...I follow development updates of many cities and it really does feel like Atlanta is the only city building this much private student housing. Let's just pray that these can convert to workforce housing pretty easy when the student loan bubble bursts.
Wherever there is a large college / university there has been significant private student housing built. Even if it is overbuilt, the nice thing about the student housing projects is that they're easily convertible to a more traditional multifamily format.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
WHOA!

1138 Peachtree St - Hasn't this been before the DRC already?

1230 West Peachtree St. - I like the sound of this!! And this is on a one acre site.
Forty-six stories and 40 stories proposal, about time we get something taller. Hanover doesn't mess around and generally starts projects right after approval. Opus Place should Hanover Management some pointers on how to prevent Scope Creep.

Last edited by atlwarrior; Dec 7, 2019 at 9:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Oh and look, even more student housing is coming. Also, HUGE DRC meeting this month!

NEW APPLICATION: Hub on Campus - 960 Spring St.
Project Type: New 20-story student housing project including 278 units (784 beds). Along the ground
floor retail uses of ~5,600 s.f. are provided along Spring St. while the residential lobby
and leasing area are accessible from Peachtree Pl. The parking deck includes 7 levels of
podium parking totaling 125 spaces accessible only from Peachtree Pl. (two stories
below Spring St. grade) Loading access is via an adjacent loading along Peachtree Pl.
Applicant(s): Jessica Hill, Morris Manning & Martin LLP, jhill@mmmlaw.com
Rodney King, Core Campus Manager, LLC, rodneyk@corespaces.com
Jillian Agdern, Harthorne Plunkard Architecture, jagdern@hparchitecture.com
Josh Reynolds, Kimley-Horn, josh.reynolds@kimley-horn.com

NEW APPLICATION: Hanover - 1230 West Peachtree St.
Project Type: New 40-story mixed-use project with 8,600 s.f. retail, 258,000 s.f. office and 328
residential units of ~394,300 s.f. The site is west of West Peachtree St. and south of the
intended 15th St. extension. A 9-story podium parking deck (with 793 parking spaces) is
provided accessible from both West Peachtree St. and the future 15th St. that also
supports loading access. The West Peachtree St. level includes retail at the northeast
street corner along with separate residential and office lobbies each accessible from
West Peachtree St.

UPDATED APPLICATION: Trillist - 1138 Peachtree St.
Project Type: New 46-story mixed-use tower fronting both Peachtree Street and Crescent St. at the
terminus of 13th St. containing 317 luxury residential units and multi-level ground floor
retail along both Peachtree St. and Crescent St. of ~10,000 s.f. A colonnaded primary
pedestrian entrance is provided from Peachtree St. Parking is provided via a 9-story
screened parking podium (of ~450 spaces) accessible from two one-way d

This is the biggest Midtown DRC meeting in a while.
Wow! This turned out to be a pretty big news day. I like Hanover's projects that I've seen.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 12:37 AM

Hanover is building a 44 story apartment building in Austin that is 514 feet or so. This will be 40 floors, but about 40% of it will be office so this should definitely be over 500 feet.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:34 AM

List of all Midtown projects

Is there a list of all Midtown projects, both under construction and proposed?

If all of these projects get going there could be something like 30 cranes up at once in Midtown. There's the potential of cranes being up for all of these projects at once:

1. Emory Winship tower
2. Dual brand hotel/Emory parking deck
3. Dual brand hotel next to Fox Theatre
4. Norfolk Southern and student tower (5-6 cranes already)
5. Tech square expansion on 5th
6. ~25 story apartment tower on Juniper and 5th
7. 32 story apartment tower on Juniper and 8th
8. 20 story apartment tower on Spring and 8th (announced yesterday)
9. The Mark (this crane might be coming down as early as Spring 2020)
10. Toll Brothers at W. Peachtree and 11th (36 story and ~28 story towers). Likely multiple cranes for this project
11. 1105 W. Peachtree (4-5 cranes already)
12. 1138 Peachtree (47 story)
13. 1230 W. Peachtree (40 story)
14. Two tower development (apt and office) on Spring across street from Whole Foods (likely 2 cranes)
15. Midtown Union (3 - 4 cranes)
16. New SCAD dorm
17. Toll brothers on 14th east of W Hotel
18. Campanile expansion / additional floors
19. Second Anthem building
20. Opus

Damn! Mindboggling. That's got to be at least 30 cranes. Granted, it's likely that they won't all have cranes up at one time, but that list of projects is hard to fathom, even if only 12 of these actually get built. And there's probably 1 or two I'm forgetting.

Last edited by jpk1292000; Dec 7, 2019 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post

If all of these projects get going there could be something like 30 cranes up at once in Midtown. There's the potential of cranes being up for all of these projects at once:

1. Emory Winship tower
4. Norfolk Southern and student tower (5-6 cranes)
9. The Mark
10. Toll Brothers at W. Peachtree and 11th (36 story and ~28 story towers). Likely multiple cranes for this project
12. 1138 Peachtree (47 story)
14. Two tower development (apt and office) on Spring across street from Whole Foods (likely 2 cranes)
16. New SCAD dorm
17. Toll brothers on 14th east of W Hotel

Damn! Mindboggling. That's got to be at least 30 cranes. Granted, it's likely that they won't all have cranes up at one time, but that list of projects is hard to fathom, even if only 12 of these actually get built. And there's probably 1 or two I'm forgetting.
You’re missing Opus Place

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
You’re missing Opus Place
I added it in gray font because I'm very skeptical it will get going anytime soon.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Wow! This turned out to be a pretty big news day. I like Hanover's projects that I've seen.
Is this Thrillist second appearance before the committee. I guess developers are seeing more external factors and market conditions that are pointing to more IT jobs coming to Midtown in the near future, and warrants more development. Hopefully, an ambitious foreign developer will give us a supertall proposal soon. I would love to see Eatz, Piece of Cake, and Delia Sausage pop in Midtown somewhere.

Last edited by atlwarrior; Dec 7, 2019 at 9:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:

1. Emory Winship tower
4. Norfolk Southern and student tower (5-6 cranes already)
9. The Mark (this crane might be coming down as early as Spring 2020)
12. 1138 Peachtree (47 story) (SLS)
16. New SCAD dorm
17. Toll Brothers on 14th east of W Hotel
19. Second Anthem building
20. Opus
21. Jewish Federation of Atlanta towers (near Puppetry Arts - C. Bender reminded me of this potential project)
22. Cousins office tower near Renaissance hotel (40 stories?) - heard this was on hold pending market conditions

Added Jewish Federation of ATL Project

Last edited by jpk1292000; Dec 7, 2019 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Added Jewish Federation of ATL Project
Don’t forget about Cousins office tower.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
Is this Thrillist second appearance before the committee. I guess developers are seeing more external factors and market conditions that are pointing to more IT jobs coming to Midtown in the near future, and warrants more development. Hopefully, an ambitious foreign developer will give us a supertall proposal soon. I would love to see Eatz, Piece of Cake, and Delia Sausage pop in Midtown somewhere.
Yes. Here is the recap of the last time they presented to the DRC in July 2016. I've never seen a full rendering of that version of the tower.

Quote:
1138 Peachtree Street-

Trillist also presented an update to their planned project at 1138 Peachtree Street, which complements their hotel/condo project across the street on the west side of Crescent Avenue. Together, the two projects reinforce Trillist’s vision for a unique pedestrian experience in the Crescent Street area and they create the opportunity for connections into a future Midtown Art Walk contemplated along the Peachtree Walk corridor. The proposed design features a 45-story residential tower fronting Peachtree Street (323 apartments) with three levels of retail at the base (21,500 SF). Retail/restaurant space would be accessed both from Peachtree Street and Crescent Avenue. Over 600 parking spaces would be provided in a ten-level deck located on the Crescent Avenue side of the property. The overall design has evolved in a positive direction since the previous version submitted in January 2014. In particular, the elevations are more refined, consistent with the sleek modernism of the proposed hotel project across the street. The committee was receptive to the upgraded finish materials on the exterior and recommended support for the project.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 10:31 PM

Was SLS on that list?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
Was SLS on that list?
Yes...#12. I added (SLS) to the entry to call it out

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Yes...#12. I added (SLS) to the entry to call it out
I believe 1138 Peachtree and SLS are two different projects. The SLS address is 1122 Crescent Ave. It's on the site of a current apartment building at the corner of Crescent and 13th Street. It's not on Peachtree.

https://whatnowatlanta.com/1138-peac...otel-residence

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 4:46 PM

What about 903 Peachtree, next to Bulldogs?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
What about 903 Peachtree, next to Bulldogs?
I believe it’s number seven on the list, but the building at the corner of Juniper and 8th is staying, from what I understand. The small building between that one and the parcel with Bezoria will be demolished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta