HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
The magnolia comments also got my ears to stick out.
I have a magnolia tree in my backyard in Montreal and there are a lot in the city although they are definitely not a common or native cultivar. I live in a neighborhood south of downtown (Little Burgundy) that is somewhat protected as it lies downhill from downtown and is at the bottom of the slope of Mount Royal, and as such benefits from microclimactic protection probably. But magnolias seem to bloom and thrive in southern Quebec anyways.
The Magnolia genus is pretty large (201 documented species), and I think the tree several posters are referring to is Magnolia grandiflora, the classic Southern Magnolia. While there are many more hardy varieties of magnolia trees like Star Magnolia and Saucer Magnolia, it's the grandiflora variety that really serves as a bellweather tree for whether an area has a subtropical or continental climate.

I've visited all of the following cities several times and basically this is how it shakes down for M.grandiflora in the following cities:

Large specimens that almost never have leaf burn:
Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville, DC, Baltimore, Little Rock, Dallas, Richmond

Slight leaf burn (moderate in the worst winters) and specimens don't grow very large:
Philadelphia, Louisville, Springfield/Joplin, Wichita

Moderate leaf burn every winter:
Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City, New York

Marginal survival rate:
New Haven, Pittsburgh. Columbus, Indianapolis

It's a joke to even try M.grandiflora:
Boston, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Des Moines, Denver

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad635 View Post
The Magnolia genus is pretty large (201 documented species), and I think the tree several posters are referring to is Magnolia grandiflora, the classic Southern Magnolia. While there are many more hardy varieties of magnolia trees like Star Magnolia and Saucer Magnolia, it's the grandiflora variety that really serves as a bellweather tree for whether an area has a subtropical or continental climate.

I've visited all of the following cities several times and basically this is how it shakes down for M.grandiflora in the following cities:

Slight leaf burn (moderate in the worst winters) and specimens don't grow very large:

Marginal survival rate:

Thanks for the info Strongbad, I can imagine planting a Grandiflora would be a pretty big joke in this city, for sure...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad635 View Post

Marginal survival rate:

Sorry, but we have Magnolia Grandflora growing here in Windsor, right across the river from Detroit, we are zone 6b. They aren't very common though, but are being planted here, and they are thriving! One in Jackson Park is over 15ft tall. Even after the awful winter that we had last year, which was the first time I ever saw them defoliated here, they have grown back and are covered in beautiful, shiny, evergreen leaves. Normally after winter in this region, they may have some bronzed leaves from a couple very cold nights, but often, they stay green and don't drop. I'm sure most of Metro Detroit that is a 6b location would be the same as here. I doubt they would grow well North or west of the city though, as it gets quite a bit colder away from the lakes and urban heat island!

Last edited by north 42; Nov 24, 2014 at 5:31 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions