HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 5:58 AM

Umm, no offense, but everybody already knows the part about Flickr. You could have also mentioned Imgur, Photobucket, and Imageshack, they all have mobile apps too, but that's not the problem.

The problem is the number of people taking pics, and the number of sites that get updated. There are only two guys taking pics - one guy with zoomed-in pics from an iPhone and another guy who takes decent pics but doesn't take them often enough (for those who want construction updates).

Not that I'm complaining myself. I'm ambivalent when it comes to pics, and most of the time they seem to be the same sites. For those people bemoaning the lack of updates, my suggestion is don't complain, instead go out and do it yourself, don't sit around waiting for them. Another option is go to SRC where all the updates are and get your fill on photos and updates. Either way, there's no need to post your gripes about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
I would suggest getting a flickr account and app for your smartphone. That way you can take photos with your smart phone and upload them to flickr. Then link those imagees to SSP, it's super easy to do and you probably have more control and ownership of your images on flickr than uploading then onto SRC. Anyways, that's what I do when I make photo threads.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Alt Hotel update...

For some reason I find this look quite attractive. I wonder if the one planned for the University District (phase I, across from the large rental project starting up now with the Save-on-Foods) will be similar.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 6:38 PM
That's what she said

Agreed. People have been using flickr and Imageshak etc... for ages. I don't think that's an issue at all. The issue is more what you said, the good update photographers, Chadillac, Surreal, Wittynickname among others, all used Flickr IIRC, but have left for various reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_yyc_ca View Post
Umm, no offense, but everybody already knows the part about Flickr. You could have also mentioned Imgur, Photobucket, and Imageshack, they all have mobile apps too, but that's not the problem.

The problem is the number of people taking pics, and the number of sites that get updated. There are only two guys taking pics - one guy with zoomed-in pics from an iPhone and another guy who takes decent pics but doesn't take them often enough (for those who want construction updates).

Not that I'm complaining myself. I'm ambivalent when it comes to pics, and most of the time they seem to be the same sites. For those people bemoaning the lack of updates, my suggestion is don't complain, instead go out and do it yourself, don't sit around waiting for them. Another option is go to SRC where all the updates are and get your fill on photos and updates. Either way, there's no need to post your gripes about it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 6:40 PM
That's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishthebow View Post
Sorry but I have to ask. What the heck is kfbs?
I can only guess that it means 'kids'. Why else would anyone worry about F-bombs?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 6:57 PM

That stalled project on the corner of 50tn and Elbow SW is a residential project now, Called the Windsor (sorry if it has been discussed before). It is in full scale build out right now. Looks to be a mix of concrete and wood frame construction

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 8:40 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
I would suggest getting a flickr account and app for your smartphone. That way you can take photos with your smart phone and upload them to flickr. Then link those imagees to SSP, it's super easy to do and you probably have more control and ownership of your images on flickr than uploading then onto SRC. Anyways, that's what I do when I make photo threads.
Exactly.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:42 PM
Build'em high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
Agreed. People have been using flickr and Imageshak etc... for ages. I don't think that's an issue at all. The issue is more what you said, the good update photographers, Chadillac, Surreal, Wittynickname among others, all used Flickr IIRC, but have left for various reasons.
People give their theories of why this site has gone to shit, and losing those photographers is part of it, but it's not the main issue. Check out the top posters from 2011 to today, only a couple of people in the lists are photographers. Everyone, except a couple in the 2011 list were good contributors.

today

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:49 PM
Build'em high!

I would say three people, as Daemon takes enough pics for two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_yyc_ca View Post

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 10:19 PM

You must be referring to Bigtime and Surrealplaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Spaghetti View Post
People give their theories of why this site has gone to shit, and losing those photographers is part of it, but it's not the main issue. Check out the top posters from 2011 to today, only a couple of people in the lists are photographers. Everyone, except a couple in the 2011 list were good contributors.

today

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 11:18 PM

Looks like I made the top ten. I wouldn’t say the forum has gone to shit because of the change in the top 10 posters. I’m sure every thread had a different group of top 10 posters.
Quote:

today

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:21 AM

Man this site has gone down hill since those days. Once apon a time the construction page was about construction talk. If you wanted to follow fighting and useless tribe you went to the Canada section. Nobody talks about construction anymore. If something is posted related to the the theme of this thread it’s brushed over for more useless talk.
I plead that we stay on topic or if you can’t just stop posting!!!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:17 AM

Sadly that’s a big change from a few years back.
Quote:

today

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
Highly doubt it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Looks like I made the top ten. I wouldn’t say the forum has gone to shit because of the change in the top 10 posters. I’m sure every thread had a different group of top 10 posters.
I’m sure every thread had different group of people at the top but it didn’t drastically change from one thread to the next, it’s been a gradual change. The thread was already starting to decline even before some of those people left. Skyrise obviously didn’t help and is now looking more like the final nail in the coffin.

Last edited by Tarsus; Feb 13, 2018 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:22 PM
Build'em high!

Quote:
No. The eight people who were good contributors:
Wooster
Bigtime
Surrealplaces
Fusili
You Need a Thneed
Ricolance
Jimby
Merser.

The other two had lots of posts. Posts that weren't bad, and didn't offend anyone, but were not contribution posts that were capable of initiating conversation and carrying the thread. The top 10 posters of today could be categorized that way.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:33 PM
Build'em high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
Man this site has gone down hill since those days. Once apon a time the construction page was about construction talk. If you wanted to follow fighting and useless tribe you went to the Canada section. Nobody talks about construction anymore. If something is posted related to the the theme of this thread it’s brushed over for more useless talk.
I plead that we stay on topic or if you can’t just stop posting!!!
People have short memories, as yes, it had a lot more construction talk back in the day, but also had plenty of off-topic drivel. The difference was that there were good contributors who kept the forum from straying too far by coming in with fresh info. I recall all kinds of off topic debates over the years, but things like a photo update by SP, or some development news from Wooster or Unibrain brought things back again.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:49 PM

Back then the forum was heavily plagued by group-think. Many of the pretentious latte lifters are gone, and this has balanced out the conversation. And while the conversation gets spicy at times, at least it's a debate and not 40 people nodding their head in agreement.

Quote:
People have short memories, as yes, it had a lot more construction talk back in the day, but also had plenty of off-topic drivel. The difference was that there were good contributors who kept the forum from straying too far by coming in with fresh info. I recall all kinds of off topic debates over the years, but things like a photo update by SP, or some development news from Wooster or Unibrain brought things back again.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:46 PM
No man's land

Quote:
Back then the forum was heavily plagued by group-think. Many of the pretentious latte lifters are gone, and this has balanced out the conversation. And while the conversation gets spicy at times, at least it's a debate and not 40 people nodding their head in agreement.
The conversation is balanced right now. Unfortunately the common discussion is only about how there isn't much discussion as opposed to back then when construction & development was a rich theme.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
The conversation is balanced right now. Unfortunately the common discussion is only about how there isn't much discussion as opposed to back then when construction & development was a rich theme.
It'll settle itself out eventually. The economy is picking up, and we'll see more proposals coming down the pipe, and more update etc... Things will be back to normal, but this time more balanced, and not a one-sided circle jerk.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:57 AM

Hey folks! I was looking at the posting totals.....unfortunately I haven't been posting or contributing! Anyway, Hi to all!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates