HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 4:59 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 5:14 PM

The towers aren't spectacular, but they are a huge addition for the area and will help keep the momentum going. I do think these look better than anything in their existing portfolio, which is what I think matters most. The quality of their designs will hopefully continue improving over time as they build new projects.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 5:20 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 5:29 PM

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 6:15 PM

This is an improvement over the previous rendering, but the hairball my cat just puked up also possesses more aesthetic merit that did that "effort".

Seriously, I appreciate Baydo stepping up but there is no harm whatsoever in expressing honest opinions. If we are satisfied by mediocrity then that's all we deserve.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 6:37 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 7:08 PM

I'm just happy for any parking lot being converted to anything in the downtown. These units at a scale like this may be fairly affordable for university students and bring some more livelihood to downtown - a ton of eyes and ears walking about from river landing to 25th which will reduce crime.

My 22 story 1965 condo is right next to this on the other side of 25th and I want to move into this, as the condo board doesn't want to make any changes to the building and are letting it sink into disrepair This will push a lot of buildings nearby to to compete - a lot of old people that own condos downtown as rental investments have forgotten about their investments and stopped to realize that they need to re-invest in them. This is the best news for Saskatoon's downtown in a while as it will bring in a ton of average income earners. No one making average income can afford those No1 River Landing condos. No one. They are three times the psft cost of my 1965 condo which is twice the cost of a condo in the burbs.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 7:32 PM

Speaking of ugly ass buildings, does anyone know what's being built off Attridge in front of the church there? Looks like a Soviet bunker or something with these tiny windows.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 8:30 PM

Jokes aside... I wonder if North Prairie is reading about this apparent strong demand for decently-priced rental units and thinking about redesigning the College project to be the same. Maybe at least that would help get that development moving a bit quicker.

Between No1 RL, Highpoint being 60%(?)+ sold, Escala, the supply for high-end condos has been tapped and I don't think we'll see any other projects of that scale anytime soon (i.e. 2-3 years min). But apparently there's demand for these rental units... very interesting.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Man, I have mixed feelings. Would of been so cool if they would build one 50 storey tower with a little more glass instead of stucco.
I guess cost is a factor and this is what Baydo can afford to build.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR200 View Post
Man, I have mixed feelings. Would of been so cool if they would build one 50 storey tower with a little more glass instead of stucco.
I guess cost is a factor and this is what Baydo can afford to build.
Mixed feelings describes it for me too. Quite an ugly set of buildings, looks dated before it has even been constructed. Renders have slightly improved but still quite dismal. But... big residential developments downtown are good for the city. If only they tweaked the design to make it look less dated and less oppressive.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
Mixed feelings describes it for me too. Quite an ugly set of buildings, looks dated before it has even been constructed. Renders have slightly improved but still quite dismal. But... big residential developments downtown are good for the city. If only they tweaked the design to make it look less dated and less oppressive.
Ok, I more comment and I promise to shut up.
Can you imagine renting the unit facing either north or south between the two towers? That will be depressing. Those buildings are way to close together. The balconies won’t have a view at all. Just darkness all day long.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
I know this is an architecture thread, but everyone's being so negative. Remember this was a parking lot for.. last 50 years? Like Baydo mentioned in the one article - they just finished a 250 unit condo building in stonebridge - this really isn't anything great, but it's more population for the downtown which will spur more great builds to come.

I think the days where we see an influx of builds, and then a 20 years exodus from building downtown are over

I'm also solely happy that it has balcony's - and at that glass ones and some up to 500sqft. Let's talk about how 80% of our larger builds downtown don't even have nice balconies. People will be leaving our ugliest buildings downtown in droves to move into this, forcing these old suckers to do some serious renovations.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:05 PM

3 builds equalling over a quarter billion in investment to 25th street this year. How awesome of a year are we having Saskatoon?? What recession?

Downtown is definitely seeing over a billion in investment over the next couple of years. What a great time to be downtown.

Still one more announcement to come this year (Arena/Convention Center)

Regina are you guys getting kind of jealous? We've got some pretty nice downtown condos if you are

With all of the great stuff happening on 25th, we should definitely talk about how we can make 25th less of a "wall" to city park from downtown. I'd personally love some indoor skywalks and tunnels that make their way all the way to river landing to better align with our climate, and a completely enhanced sidewalk/bike scheme.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:05 PM

Interview this morning with Baydo about the new towers. There were a few interesting pieces of information in there, apparently 4 levels of below ground parking and 2 above...

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...oon-in-decades

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR200 View Post
Ok, I more comment and I promise to shut up.
Can you imagine renting the unit facing either north or south between the two towers? That will be depressing. Those buildings are way to close together. The balconies won’t have a view at all. Just darkness all day long.
I agree on both comments, I hold the City of Saskatoon planning & building approvals depts. responsible for allowing construction of new commie blocks in Saskatoon.

One building twice as tall & with less stucco exterior but with bigger windows would be much more aesthetically appropriate, would be more in demand & garner higher rental income especially in higher floors & on prime lot so close to river.
I'll never be able to drive west across University bridge again without shaking my head in disgust because of lost opportunity to build something more visually pleasing for a landmark.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
I agree on both comments, I hold the City of Saskatoon planning & building approvals depts. responsible for allowing construction of new commie blocks in Saskatoon.

One building twice as tall & with less stucco exterior but with bigger windows would be much more aesthetically appropriate, would be more in demand & garner higher rental income especially in higher floors & on prime lot so close to river.
I'll never be able to drive west across University bridge again without shaking my head in disgust because of lost opportunity to build something more visually pleasing for a landmark.
By chance, does anyone know how tall these towers will be?

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 7:25 PM

^ My guess is about 79 meters, since Halmark building down the street is 79 meters & 26 floors but no high ceiling commercial on its podium at the bottom...

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninipanini View Post
Interview this morning with Baydo about the new towers. There were a few interesting pieces of information in there, apparently 4 levels of below ground parking and 2 above...

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...oon-in-decades
Baydo in interview at 5:53 suggests that all rental units have a balcony. Looking at at least the current renderings, all units don't get a balcony (4 floors of no balconies just above podium of the brown trim tower).

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Baydo in interview at 5:53 suggests that all rental units have a balcony. Looking at at least the current renderings, all units don't get a balcony (4 floors of no balconies just above podium of the brown trim tower).
i don’t think these will be the last renderings. if i remember right they vamped the renderings of their broadway project based on feedback as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan