HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 3:02 PM
randalls

Okay, so I have the dumbest/nerdiest question for you guys, but I'm genuinely interested to hear all of your individual answers to this hypothetical question - if you have the time to answer it.

The question is, if you could steal any 5 towers from other cities in the U.S. and integrate them into the Austin skyline, which towers would you steal and where would you place them (especially if you could ignore CVC's)?

For me, I think it would go something like this.

1. Chrysler Building
-I'd place it on that open lot at Congress & 3rd (if it would fit)
2. Seattle Space Needle
-I'd put it on the Austin-American Statesman site next to the bridge
3. Empire State Bldg.
- I think I'd want to find a lot that complimented the State Capitol Bldg somehow.
4. TransAmerica Building
- I'd put it on one of those empty parking lots near Guadalupe & 9th/10th St.
5. Flatiron Building
- I'm not sure where this would best fit, but it would be an awesome addition.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 8:48 PM

Space Needle because it's very unique and gives us the observation room this forum desperately wants

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalls View Post
Okay, so I have the dumbest/nerdiest question for you guys, but I'm genuinely interested to hear all of your individual answers to this hypothetical question - if you have the time to answer it.

The question is, if you could steal any 5 towers from other cities in the U.S. and integrate them into the Austin skyline, which towers would you steal and where would you place them (especially if you could ignore CVC's)?
Fun game:

1. New York City Chrysler Building - 1046'
- SW corner 6th and Congress
2. Chicago Willis Tower - 1451'
- SW corner of 4th and Trinity
3. Los Angeles US Bank Tower - 1018'
- Post Office lot on 5th/6th Street
4. Seattle Space Needle - 605'
- 99 Trinity St. but close to the lake and probably needs to be 1200'
5. New York City JP Morgan new HQ - 1388'
- Hobby Building, include HEB on ground floor

And one from outside US:
6. London The Shard - 1016'
- Austin American Statesman site

And a stadium bonus:
7. St. Louis Busch Baseball Stadium
- NE corner of Congress and Riverside facing Rainey St. skyline

Biggest holes left: 3rd and Congress and the Domain needs a signature tower like a second Frost Tower at Esperanza and Altera

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 11:15 PM
randalls

These are awesome choices. 99 Trinity is a great spot for the needle too. And the Shard would be amazing on the Statesman site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Fun game:

1. New York City Chrysler Building - 1046'
- SW corner 6th and Congress
2. Chicago Willis Tower - 1451'
- SW corner of 4th and Trinity
3. Los Angeles US Bank Tower - 1018'
- Post Office lot on 5th/6th Street
4. Seattle Space Needle - 605'
- 99 Trinity St. but close to the lake and probably needs to be 1200'
5. New York City JP Morgan new HQ - 1388'
- Hobby Building, include HEB on ground floor

And one from outside US:
6. London The Shard - 1016'
- Austin American Statesman site

And a stadium bonus:
7. St. Louis Busch Baseball Stadium
- NE corner of Congress and Riverside facing Rainey St. skyline

Biggest holes left: 3rd and Congress and the Domain needs a signature tower like a second Frost Tower at Esperanza and Altera

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 11:17 PM

Quote:
These are awesome choices. 99 Trinity is a great spot for the needle too. And the Shard would be amazing on the Statesman site.
Thanks, fun exercise and yes I think about this hypothetical all the time.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 11:24 PM

The Sidney Opera House would be my choice for the old AAS site at Congress and Riverside.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 12:49 AM
randalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
The Sidney Opera House would be my choice for the old AAS site at Congress and Riverside.
Also a great choice.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
anyone know where this is on Howard Lane? The Statesman incorrectly states that this is in Pflugerville. When Pflugerville city limits dont go to Howard. That would put this in the Austin area.
My house is near this. The location is actually unincorporated Travis County, and it's common for folks to refer to it as "Pflugerville," because that city is nearby and the area is within PfISD. The street address is in the article, as well as a general description of where it's located.

First phase of 1,400-unit apartment project breaks ground in Pflugerville
Shonda Novak
Austin American-Statesman

Even with a surge of supply and slower demand for apartments in Central Texas, some developers are going full speed ahead on rental projects, including a big new one in Pflugerville, just north of Austin.

The first phase of the new Pflugerville community, called the Merle at Howard, will add just over 440 apartment units. That will be followed by two more phases that will bring the total to about 1,400 apartments and townhomes. All units on the site — 60 acres at 2500 East Howard Lane in northeastern Travis County — will be rentals.

The developers are High Street Residential, Trammell Crow Company's housing subsidiary and a subsidiary of the CBRE Group, along with partner CBRE Investment Management on behalf of a fund it manages. CBRE Investment Management is a global real assets investment management firm with $147.6 billion in assets under management.

The developers have not disclosed the cost for the Merle.

Its first phase will be built on 17 acres. It will have 444 units in 15 apartment buildings and five townhome buildings, Marie Archibald, a vice president in Austin with High Street Residential, said in a news release. The first units are expected to be ready for residents in the fall of 2025, she said.

Rents will be competitive with other projects in the area, Archibald said.

Amenities will include a clubhouse with a work-from-home space; a fitness center; a virtual golf lounge; a pool and cabanas; and a dog park and pet washing stations. There also will be charging stations for electric vehicles and 141 private garages available for rent.

Also planned are pickleball courts, basketball courts, a playscape and jogging trails.

The clubhouse planned for the Merle at Howard is going to include a work-from-home space.

The next two phases will allow for construction of up to 956 additional units, High Street officials said. The second phase likely begin in early 2025, although a timeline is not yet final, Archibald said in an email.

The Merle will be about 3 miles from Interstate 35, 3 miles from Texas 130 and just over 7 miles from the Domain, the large mixed-use development in North Austin known as the city's second downtown.

The Merle also will be less than a mile from the famed Dessau Dance Hall, where such icons as Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Merle Haggard and many other musicians once played. The late Merle Haggard was the inspiration for the rental project's name.

The Austin area is growing in all directions, and the Northeast Austin and Pflugerville areas are no exception. That part of the region is home to some of the world’s largest employers, Archibald said. They include Dell Technologies, Apple, Samsung Austin Semiconductor, IBM, NXP Semiconductors, Applied Materials, National Instruments and Advanced Micro Devices.

“These large, high-paying employers, coupled with the area’s affordability and easy access to the Parmer Corridor, the Domain and (the Texas 130 tollway) have earned Pflugerville a spot on the map as a top destination for new households in the Austin metro," Archibald said.

High Street Residential expects future residents at the Merle "will be moving both from in and outside of Texas," Archibald said.

Amenities at the Merle at Howard will include a pool, shown in this rendering, along with a clubhouse, a fitness center, a virtual golf lounge and a dog park and pet wash stations.

Archibald and local housing experts say there are a large number of apartment units that are due to wrap up construction over the next 12 to 24 months around Austin, particularly in the northeastern part of the Austin area. In the region as a whole, supply is exceeding demand, and that is expected to drive apartment rents and occupancies lower, experts say.

"As the supply of apartment units increases, we expect to see a normalization in lease-up speeds, which had greatly accelerated during the pandemic," Archibald said.

At a Sept. 6 conference in Austin, Jordan Brooks, a senior analyst with ALN Apartment Data, which tracks the multifamily market, said the northeastern Austin/Pflugerville area is expected to be able to absorb the added supply it is seeing.

"It’s true that demand has not kept up with supply in that submarket this year, but I would propose that the story has been more on the supply side," Jordan said in an email. "Apartment demand has actually been more robust for that area so far this year than it was to this point in the calendar last year. The difference has been a steep increase in the number of new units brought to market this year."

The timing of the new supply's arrival also plays an important role, Jordan said.

"The bulk of new units in the Pflugerville region have started leasing in the last few months, so that timing will skew the supply-to-demand ratio a bit until those properties have had time to lease up," Jordan said.

Earlier this year, Charles Heimsath, a real estate consultant who has tracked the Austin-area apartment market for several decades, said he expected renters to see some price relief this year as the pace of job growth slows and the new supply of apartment units exceeds demand.

His latest survey showed the apartment occupancy rate declined to 91.5% in June from 93.9% in June 2022. Rents averaged $1,713 a month as of this June compared with $1,702 in June 2022, Heimsath's survey found.

Across the five-county Austin region as a whole, leasing activity slowed dramatically in the second half of last year, Heimsath's data show.

Last year, 11,707 apartment units were leased on a net basis (that is, taking into account move-ins and move-outs). That's a drop of almost 43% from the number of units that were leased on a net basis in 2021 (20,492 units), Heimsath's figures show.

Despite the decline, that 11,707 number marked the second-highest year of net leasing activity, Heimsath said.

"Slower job growth is the main reason for the drop-off in absorption (of rentals) in the second half of the year," Heimsath said. "Job growth is continuing, but at a slower pace due primarily to layoffs in the tech sector." Experts have said the pace of people moving here into apartments has slowed as well.

As a result, Heimsath predicted several months ago that rents, on average, will drop by at least 5% by the end of the year, which could mean gross rents settle at an estimated $1,628 a month.

"For the first time in many years, landlords will be willing to work with their existing tenants as lease renewals come up." Heimsath said.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 1:29 PM

Quote:

For me, I think it would go something like this.

1. Chrysler Building
-I'd place it on that open lot at Congress & 3rd (if it would fit)
2. Seattle Space Needle
-I'd put it on the Austin-American Statesman site next to the bridge
3. Empire State Bldg.
- I think I'd want to find a lot that complimented the State Capitol Bldg somehow.
4. TransAmerica Building
- I'd put it on one of those empty parking lots near Guadalupe & 9th/10th St.
5. Flatiron Building
- I'm not sure where this would best fit, but it would be an awesome addition.

Flatiron should go at the Triangle where Guad and N Lamar split, of course.

Lotte World Tower (Seoul) can go in at the post office block downtown as a similarly curvy but taller and pointier counterbalance to the Republic.

Petronas Twin Towers should go in around Seaholm so they can straddle the train tracks where they are elevated because that would be awesome. Also that will be our new signature Amtrak station.

The London Clock Tower should replace our silly fire stairs thing by the lake. Also our silly fire stairs must take the tower's place in London - sorry, I don't make the rules.

I would also put the Vegas Sphere in either Tarrytown, Zilker, Travis Heights, or Allandale. Or one in each, if that's allowed.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 4:11 PM
randalls

These are dope additions. Flatiron would be cool at that Triangle split, like announcing you are officially entering the city when you're headed south into town down N. Lamar.

Love the Lotte World Tower suggestion. I have been inside the bottom portion of that tower where the mall is, but didn't get to to go the top as the top wasn't open the night I was there.

And if we're making the rules, London has to take our fire stairs haha.

Love these suggestions. I tend to visualize what other towers would look like integrated into our skyline, so it's fun to read everyone's suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Flatiron should go at the Triangle where Guad and N Lamar split, of course.

Lotte World Tower (Seoul) can go in at the post office block downtown as a similarly curvy but taller and pointier counterbalance to the Republic.

Petronas Twin Towers should go in around Seaholm so they can straddle the train tracks where they are elevated because that would be awesome. Also that will be our new signature Amtrak station.

The London Clock Tower should replace our silly fire stairs thing by the lake. Also our silly fire stairs must take the tower's place in London - sorry, I don't make the rules.

I would also put the Vegas Sphere in either Tarrytown, Zilker, Travis Heights, or Allandale. Or one in each, if that's allowed.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 4:56 PM

10th best vacation city

Austin named 10th best vacation city with amazing views in U.S. in new list

Austin is as picturesque as cities come, y’all.

A new ranking from window company Window Gnome places Austin tenth on a list of best vacation cities for amazing views. Austin is the only city in Texas to break the top 25.

To build its list, Window Gnome ranked 455 cities across the U.S. on a variety of factors, including “hotels with views” from Expedia and accommodations tagged with “amazing views” on Airbnb. The company also considered ratings and cost factors among 9 total metrics.

More:Austin is one of the best cities in the U.S. for veterans to live in. See where it ranks

McAllen ranked 33rd on the list, and El Paso ranked 42nd. Dallas and Grand Prarie came in slightly behind, at 57th and 63rd, respectively.

What cities made the top 10?
Miami, Florida
Las Vegas, Nevada
Los Angeles, California
San Francisco, California
Chicago, Illinois
Seattle, Washington
Daytona Beach, Florida
Nashville, Tennessee
San Diego, California
Austin, Texas

Article behind a paywall is here

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post

A new ranking from window company Window Gnome
Prestigious!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Prestigious!
I know champagne corks are popping right now

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 1:43 PM
World Traveler

Go Rangers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 3:09 PM

If we go with Grand Central Station, does it come with the transportation infrastructure too?

Either way, the list of 5 (Chrysler Building, Space Needle, Empire State Bldg, TransAmerica Building, and Flatiron building) is a pretty solid list, and the Willis Tower and U.S. Bank tower would be in the running for sure.

I think depending on the location, I could replace the flatiron building on this list with a few other options, like the Manhattan Municipal Building, 8 Spruce Street, 30 Rockefeller, or 40 Wall Street. As an outside contender, perhaps the U.S. Steel tower in Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 5:04 PM

Good job Rangers! Always love to see a brand new team win a championship! This certifies Bruce Bochy as a GOAT manager

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 2:06 AM
randalls

Happy Thanksgiving guys. Thankful to share this niche little passion of mine with all of you, and thankful for our fun conversations on here. And, for all of you that take the time to add so many photo and video updates. This forum is a highlight for me. Hope ya’ll have a great holiday.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2023, 4:25 AM

SAME SENTIMENTS randalls

Hope you all had a great and safe Thanksgiving with your loved ones. I'm grateful that there's a great community of this niche in Austin. Here's to many more posts from all of us, and to all the new members we're going to see throughout the years. Hopefully we break ground on more projects in 2024!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 9:57 PM

I might have posted my last photo updates for the year! I'm going to be out of town Dec 8-27 then spending New Years in Dallas Dec 29 - Jan 1st. Sorry I won't make threads "bold" for a bit. Looking forward to seeing more updates from everyone around in the mean time!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I might have posted my last photo updates for the year! I'm going to be out of town Dec 8-27 then spending New Years in Dallas Dec 29 - Jan 1st. Sorry I won't make threads "bold" for a bit. Looking forward to seeing more updates from everyone around in the mean time!
No need to apologize. You're one of the most prolific contributors in the forum - I look forward to seeing your 2024 pics! Happy Holidays!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin