HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Sky City in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Changsha Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 8:23 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
article today in Glob and Mail (Canadian newspaper) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4575806/
Quote:
“I don’t think there is any need to build that high in a market like Changsha,” Mr. Macdonald said.
Of course there isn't. The spirit in China is totally different from Western countries: "Why do you build so big / tall? Because we can!"

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:09 AM

Nonsense! PLain and simple!!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 12:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

unlike many other supertalls (completed, u/c, proposals) in China, this one is extremely blah.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 11:12 PM
Bostonian

It kind of reminds me of Fritz Hoger's plan for a (1937) skyscraper in Hamburg, just three times taller and with a less prominent cruciform shape.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 3:09 PM

Building to rise in 90 days; 5 floors per day

Quote:
Designed by engineers that worked on the Burj Khalifa, Sky City will achieve the target by using BSB’s 95%-prefabricated modular technology at the astonishing construction pace of five storeys a day.

Juliet Jiang, senior VP of Broad Group, has said that the company’s plan to construct its 838m skyscraper by the Xiangjiang River in Changsha city “will go on as planned with the completion of five storeys a day.”

Broad, which has built a total 20 structures in China, demonstrated its rapid construction method to a wider audience in January, when the company constructed a 30-storey hotel in just 15 days.

Work on the foundations is expected to go ahead by the end of the month, while the planned three month construction period runs from the end of the year to the end of March 2013.
Source: Construction Week Online

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 6:03 PM
Website Manager

so they're really going to do this huh...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 10:41 PM

blah its so ugly

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 8:06 AM

Wait, Broad Group as in Eli Broad??

EDIT: never mind

Last edited by JDRCRASH; Nov 21, 2012 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 3:03 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

If this actually happens we won't even need a time-lapse video of the construction, it'll be fast enough to watch in real time!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 10:01 PM

This building puts the phrase "China's stealing our designs" to a whole new level. Looks like they based it almost entirely on Sears. China, if you want to build a meaningless, unoccupied, prefabricated deathtrap of a building in a practically unheard of city which will offer no context to the rest of the city's skyline (built in a forest, away from the rest of the city???) and somehow give the desire to make it the world's tallest, that's fine. It's another thing to steal from OUR architecture and become globally renowned for it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 11:29 PM
Come As You Are

This is 10x uglier than Sears Tower.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy24 View Post
This building puts the phrase "China's stealing our designs" to a whole new level. Looks like they based it almost entirely on Sears. China, if you want to build a meaningless, unoccupied, prefabricated deathtrap of a building in a practically unheard of city which will offer no context to the rest of the city's skyline (built in a forest, away from the rest of the city???) and somehow give the desire to make it the world's tallest, that's fine. It's another thing to steal from OUR architecture and become globally renowned for it.
Wow. So much I can say about this post.

"Looks like they based it almost entirely on sears" - Other than the fact that they are both very squarish designed buildings, they look nothing alike. Different colour, materials, height (Sky City is nearly twice the height), Symmetrical design (Sky City is very symmetrical while the Sears tower is very asymetrical with lots of random levels)

"meaningless, unoccupied, prefabricated deathtrap of a building" - Meaningless? A new extremely innovative way of constructing buildings in record time is hardly meaningless. Unoccupied? In a country with a population of over 1.3 billion, they'll find people to occupy it. Deathtrap? It will be built to withstand a 9.0 magnitude earthquake.

"unheard of city" - Changsha has a population of over 7 million people. It seems that there are a few people that have heard of the city.

"will offer no context to the rest of the city's skyline (built in a forest, away from the rest of the city???)" - I can agree that it will offer no context to the rest of the city's skyline, but it isn't supposed too because the building is a city itself. It is being built to mainly demonstrate how a city for 30,000 people can be built in a few months on a very tiny footprint. It is quite smart actually, having a building that is a city for 30,000 people in the middle of the forest because everyone does everything in the building and everyone shares a huge forest as there backyard. Elevators replace cars, buses, etc. and you don't have to drive to the city's edge to get into nature. It seems to me that it is a much more natural way to live, rather than depending on cars and other transpotation to get to very spread out locations, have everything in one structure and preserve the land around it. It is like an ant-hill, or beehive, but for people.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 2:14 AM

You made some good points. However, I still respectfully disagree in many ways.

After looking closely at pictures of the Sears Tower, I can clearly notice the asymmetric design of it versus the symmetric design of Sky City. Still, at first glance and even now it looks way too much like our tallest building for it to be considered unique.

It is meaningless in that it will surely never become occupied. Just look at all the space in that thing! And unless this new prefabricated construction is a breakthrough, which will change everything if it is, it just doesn't seem safe.

Sure, Changsha has 7 million people, but Dallas has a comparable 6.5 million. Ask anyone in China if they've heard of Dallas and they'll probably say no.

"It is much more natural way to live." Yeah, because being in a cubicle 2000 feet up is so natural! All putting a skyscraper in a forest does is separate it from the skyline, providing no reference point for how tall it truly is. Just look at Sears. It's by a 900 foot building and it completely dwarfs it, providing a visual on just how massive the building is. Without buildings around it, you lose too much of the sense of scale.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2012, 4:09 AM

http://news.sky.com/story/1014603/ch...per-in-90-days

Quote:

From the foundations upwards, the whole construction will be erected within three months at a rate of five floors a day. Work will start at the end of this month and it should all be finished by the end of February.

- The building will be called Sky City and its statistics are quite remarkable. It will be 838 metres high, with 220 floors and a construction area of one million square metres. To achieve that, 200,000 tons of steel will be used. There will be space for 31,000 people inside, who will be able to move up and down with the help of 104 high speed lifts.

- Some 83% of the building will be for residential use, with room for 17,400 people. It will also contain a hotel with a capacity for 1,000. There will be schools educating up to 4,600 children and a hospital which will treat 1,400 patients. Only 3% of the building will be for office use. Any remaining space will be shops and restaurants. The building will be just a few metres taller than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai but will be constructed at a fraction of the cost.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 6:43 AM

I want to see steel going up soon.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 8:41 AM
Everywhere all at once

I'm so underwhelmed and...actually disappointed by this whole thing. I find China incredibly annoying for exactly these sort of proposals. Comparable to the Sears Tower? Maybe, but more comparable to the uninteresting box hotels that they throw up every so often here in New York. I understand that China has a unprecedented and tremendous population, but their cities have absolutely no identity whatsoever.

I think what makes the great cities of the world great is that, once any of their names is mentioned, several iconic images and ideas immediately pop into one's mind. That's what I love about American cities, they're all unique and famous for different reasons...well most of them anyway. New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Seattle, Las Vegas, Miami, Chicago, San Francisco, DC, New Orleans, etc. etc. ...all the things one thinks of. Broadening the scope, take Paris, Rome, London, Berlin or Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Mexico City...Sydney, Bangkok, Tokyo, Moscow, Cairo, Delhi, Mumbai...I can go on. Even Dubai, if they did one thing right, nowadays most people know where you're talking about when you mention Dubai.

Now consider China. You of course have Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, the fortunate three that truly are known worldwide. Let's look at the other large cities in the country, several of which could be viewed as the relative equivalents of the US cities I mentioned above. Guangzhou and Shenzhen are trying, but I can't help but think I wouldn't know of them if I wasn't on this website all the time. How about Tianjin, Wuhan, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Chongqing, Chengdu...and Changsha? What do any of those names make you think of? I don't know about you, but I know nothing of these places other than that they're probably bursting at the seams with people. No emotions arise, no images come to mind...and those are all among China's 25 largest, and arguably most "influential" cities. I grant you who might call me ignorant that I've never been to China and I am speaking from the perspective of what most Americans, and westerners, know and think of the Far East's largest nation, but isn't that viewpoint central to my argument? Not everyone knows what we know because they spend so much time on SSP.

My point is this: Changsha does not deserve the world's tallest building because it has no standing among the world's great cities, it has no identity. I feel the Chinese should focus more on developing culture and identity in their metropolises, beyond one megaproject after another. I just wish China's cities would become real places in the 21st-Century human psyche before they start trumping every record known to man.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 7:17 PM
-

Agreed about the critiques of Chinas cities but I think a huge part of the problem is they are trying to create a cities identity overnight and that cant really be done at least not well. Dubai and Las Vegas are the two cities that have an identity that is probably the easiest to create in a shortest timeframe.

Off topic but how do we know this building will be safe? Seems crazy that it wont topple over or implode on itself! I know I wouldnt go near it because the timeframe for construction seems impossible with current construction methods.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 11:00 PM

BSB is a big fan of modular technology, which uses pre-fabricated, factory-produced materials that are assembled on-site at dramatic speeds. It's basically Lego blocks, but on a much bigger scale. The company claims the 220-story building will be constructed at a rate of five stories per day, thanks to 95 percent of the construction done at pre-fabrication factories. The same technology can be seen in this video depicting a 30-story building that was constructed by BSB in just 15 days.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 12:13 AM

I'm not impressed with the M9 earthquake resistance if they haven't also considered wind loads. Those become a much more important issue with supertalls and there's nothing apparent in the massing here to suggest they've planned for the proverbial hundred-year or five-hundred year horizontal load.

Gee, I wonder if that explains the siting in the middle of a big woodland? I can picture a future YouTube video of this thing falling over.

Anyway, 3 months to build the structure is not particularly interesting if it takes the plumbing, electrician, hvac, elevator, and other trades another 1 year + to make the edifice actually have any relevance.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy24 View Post
You made some good points. However, I still respectfully disagree in many ways.

After looking closely at pictures of the Sears Tower, I can clearly notice the asymmetric design of it versus the symmetric design of Sky City. Still, at first glance and even now it looks way too much like our tallest building for it to be considered unique.

It is meaningless in that it will surely never become occupied. Just look at all the space in that thing! And unless this new prefabricated construction is a breakthrough, which will change everything if it is, it just doesn't seem safe.

Sure, Changsha has 7 million people, but Dallas has a comparable 6.5 million. Ask anyone in China if they've heard of Dallas and they'll probably say no.

"It is much more natural way to live." Yeah, because being in a cubicle 2000 feet up is so natural! All putting a skyscraper in a forest does is separate it from the skyline, providing no reference point for how tall it truly is. Just look at Sears. It's by a 900 foot building and it completely dwarfs it, providing a visual on just how massive the building is. Without buildings around it, you lose too much of the sense of scale.
Lol you are acting like how the chinese would expect an American with the inability to look beyond the box to react.

First of all, there are many buildings that look like the sears tower, and there are many copied buildings all around the world. Though I do agree that the design is subpar considering it is a supertall, I think they know what they are doing considering they are paying and building this thing.

What you say about in-occupancy can go either way. The burg khalifa had the same problem but China is very different from Dubai in the sense that Dubai builds to show their wealth off and try and create more tourism and a greater population. China, on the other hand, can easily absorb this due to their massive population.

Also, what the hell do you mean if the chinese have heard of Dallas. Maybe they have, maybe they haven't. Not knowing don't of their cities, isn't justifiable by saying that they dont know American cities. Just cause you are ignorant doesnt make Changsha any smaller or unheard of a city. Try and remember that China is halfway across the globe.

And sure it might be a natural way to live if the chinese think so. It's called innovation, and trial and error. If it works, then they keep buiilding, if not then they dont. If everyone was as close-minded as you are being then there wouldn't even be skyscrapers or buildings at all because they would ask pessimistic questions like you.

"Towers in the sky?? What if someone falls off?"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive