HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

125 Greenwich Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
^Pointing guy dude is pointing at the Trinity tower site.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 1:44 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 2:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Different from the model, but looks like the other renderings. I don't know what to make of that, but either way, it looks like Rafael Vinoly will be designing a mini-432 Park.

Quote:

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 3:17 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

New York YIMBY:

Revealed: 22 Thames Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON DECEMBER 10TH 2013 AT 6:00 AM

Quote:
Demolition of the site’s former building was completed in the fall, and 22 Thames will become one of the largest residential buildings in the city, with 70 floors in total. If renderings are any indicator, the tower’s pinnacle should exceed the 841-foot figure listed in permits; if it passes 937 feet, which is possible, it will become the tallest residential skyscraper Downtown, surpassing Silverstein’s Four Seasons Hotel & Residences at 30 Park Place.

The tower’s facade is simple and glassy, perforated by metallic accents; in this regard, it actually harkens to SOM’s 250 West 55th Street, though the building’s use will be different. 22 Thames will sit atop a small podium, and its slim profile will be the skyscraper’s defining characteristic; while not quite as skinny as 432 Park, it will still rank among New York’s thinnest structures.

Completion of 22 Thames is expected in the spring of 2017, and Fisher Brothers’ website has additional details.
Official Website by Fisher Brothers: 22 Thames

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 5:22 PM

I do wish they'd have given the nod to the model with the stacked elements...if indeed that's not what we're getting.
The design as advertized is for Viñoly IMO rather pedestrian.
It's nothing more than the de rigueur glass shaft with a slab tacked on. And based on the contextual skyline render, it doesn't seem to fit with its neighbors.
All that said, I fail to see what the other model is all about.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 5:58 PM

Vinoly seriously needs to up his game, crossing my fingers that it wont be a finalized design or let SHoP design this one too.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 6:34 PM

Is there any word on when this is slated to rise?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Is there any word on when this is slated to rise?
Excavation work is already beginning, completion is slated for 2017.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 8:37 PM

I am not sure why there is what appears to be a huge steel plate stuck to the back of this skinny tower, but I see that SHoP has quite an obsession with it, trying to use it in many other buildings. I think a super slender bland blue box would actually work here!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 10:19 PM

I'm becoming a big fan of Vinoly. This tower is minimalist....and fits in perfectly with lower Manhattan. Very sleek and cool.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 10:53 PM

The more I look at these renders, the more I want to yell at Sr. Viñoly as to why he thinks something as utterly devoid of character as this would pass muster in his mind.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 11:28 PM

Any word on when we will be getting renderings of this building, the updated HU towers and other new construction?

Also, it would be neat to be able to sort renderings by proposal dates. In other words, be able to see all the towers that were proposed in 2013 or see all the towers currently rising, etc.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 12:20 AM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/12/...tower-in-loma/

22 Thames vies to be tallest residential tower in LoMa

December 10, 2013

Quote:
The new Rafael Vinoly-designed 22 Thames may overtake Silverstein Properties’ Four Seasons Hotel & Residences at 30 Park Place as the tallest residential building in Lower Manhattan.

While the most recent plan for a 70-story, 841-foot tower was disapproved by the city Department of Buildings, the pinnacle could pass 937 feet, the height of the under-construction tower at 30 Park Place. The building will also likely run among New York’s thinnest structures.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 12:22 AM

I am trying to like this tower but I just can't. The height is great, but the design is seriously an 880 foot extrusion clad in glass. I'm all for minimalist, but to me this is just brainless. Hopefully it grows on me.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 2:23 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Watch this area heat up like 57th street is when it comes to uber luxurious, thin towers. Its already happening at a fast rate. That night time rendering is amazing.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 2:49 AM

That side bar bothers me and I suspect it might turn out to be a blank wall. In that case I'd be

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That side bar bothers me and I suspect it might turn out to be a blank wall. In that case I'd be
I doubt that. 360 degree views get the big bucks, and that's what this tower is all about.

BTW, why was the tower disapproved?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 3:08 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Might be a glass wall. I hope. This rendering makes it look somewhat aesthetic. Might just be the angle.

http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/.../22thames3.jpg

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Might be a glass wall. I hope. This rendering makes it look somewhat aesthetic. Might just be the angle.

http://www.yimbynews.com/wp-content/.../22thames3.jpg
Another GIGANTIC disappointment by Vinoy. This along with 432 Park further proves the city needs a design review board. This building is such a shame.

Minimalism is merely a fuzzy term for a piece of architecture devoid of art or design. I find minimalism even more offensive than brutalist architecture, but leave it to an "architect" like Vinoy who can unify both at 432 Park. At least this iteration of a souless box will have glass instead of unfinished and dirty concrete as the exterior.

Who here feels any form of inspiration from this design? Im willing to bet not many.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I doubt that. 360 degree views get the big bucks, and that's what this tower is all about.

BTW, why was the tower disapproved?

That's a reference to the DOB permit. Basically all buildings are disapproved before getting the green light from DOB. Check'em out. Nordstrom, 111 W 57th, Tower Verre, all in a holding pattern. They'll get the green light eventually.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction