HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I just had a look at the cranes forum. Looks like we're at around 30 now assuming the counts are right but note that there hasn't been a legit update for awhile. Feb 2014 had 43 cranes which isn't all that much higher. The first page claims the record is 75 set back in Aug 2008.
Those cranes you see along 10th ave are going away soon and won't be replaced. One of them is at a project that's been shelved.

But as far as downtown space goes, the vacancy rate is high, but it's not the issue the media or certain people here make it out to be. It's a bunch of pension funds that are feeling a slight pinch on the 3% of their portfolio that Calgary makes up. It's a joke really.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_yyc_ca View Post
But as far as downtown space goes, the vacancy rate is high, but it's not the issue the media or certain people here make it out to be. It's a bunch of pension funds that are feeling a slight pinch on the 3% of their portfolio that Calgary makes up. It's a joke really.
It' actually a good thing, it will keep rental rates low and attract more businesses back to the core. Downtown Calgary was getting to be a place where only Oil Companies and a handful of other companies could afford space, now we should get a bit more of a mix. My Firm just moved into a highrise a year ago, we were on the periphery in the Beltline before, now we are right in the core. I really hope lots of building owners take the time to do some serious renovations and I think this is a great chance to increase the residential stock right downtown too.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:13 PM

Actually no, it's not a good thing. Who do you think makes up the loss of property taxes from all that vacancy around the core?

The rest of us, and those like myself who run a small business. It doesn't help that city hall has decided to punish those outside of the core.

Quote:
Those cranes you see along 10th ave are going away soon and won't be replaced. One of them is at a project that's been shelved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
It' actually a good thing, it will keep rental rates low and attract more businesses back to the core. Downtown Calgary was getting to be a place where only Oil Companies and a handful of other companies could afford space, now we should get a bit more of a mix. My Firm just moved into a highrise a year ago, we were on the periphery in the Beltline before, now we are right in the core. I really hope lots of building owners take the time to do some serious renovations and I think this is a great chance to increase the residential stock right downtown too.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:13 PM
BANNED

DELETED

Sorry - I posted in the wrong thread. I've moved Deb Yedlin's interview over to:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2044

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:26 PM
BANNED

Some time ago we had discussed some modest renos as part of the phase one upgrades to the Big4 building at the Stampede. Looks like the launch event was yesterday, and there was quite the crowd in attendance!

https://twitter.com/hashtag/TB4Roadhouse?src=hash

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 6:04 PM
Fake News

Big concrete pour today at the Opus medical building on Macleod:

Looks like something is finally happening at the old Heninger Toyota site too. Co-op gas bar and retail with condos in the back.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 6:36 PM

Finally construction is back

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 6:38 PM

Brookfield

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 6:39 PM

Close view of more construction buildings in Chinatown

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 6:40 PM

More buildings and autum colorings.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg66 View Post
Actually no, it's not a good thing. Who do you think makes up the loss of property taxes from all that vacancy around the core?

The rest of us, and those like myself who run a small business. It doesn't help that city hall has decided to punish those outside of the core.
It's a bad situation right now, but it should be able to be fixed by taking stock off the market for renos and allowing more companies to move back downtown. It's a good thing because it means that pretty much all of our office buildings downtown won't serve a single industry and we shouldn't get into a situation like this again where one type of company has a massive recession and the city suddenly has a shortfall in tax revenue that needs to be made up somewhere else (like your business).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 6:41 PM

Final picture is east village

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 8:52 PM

I can actually make out the construction work, nicely done. And it appears you were driving when you took the pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Close view of more construction buildings in Chinatown

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 9:31 PM

and you're back too....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Finally construction is back

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:15 PM
Fake News

A list of the greatest hits from the last decade:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...tour-1.4089027

Hopefully there are more to come!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:30 PM

So a swing stage broke a pane of glass i=on the 51st floor of Brookfield yesterday, sounds like that entire block (streets included) is closed today while they inspect the rest of the windows. Seems a bit overkill, traffic into DT this morning was total FUBAR.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:25 PM
YYC

Another chunk of the Devonian Garden is open again, a small part of the Northeast corner is still closed but most of it is open.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:30 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
So a swing stage broke a pane of glass i=on the 51st floor of Brookfield yesterday, sounds like that entire block (streets included) is closed today while they inspect the rest of the windows. Seems a bit overkill, traffic into DT this morning was total FUBAR.
Way overkill. I could see a full inspection if a window failed or blew off in the wind. In this instance, there was clear mechanical damage to a section of the building.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 8:46 PM
Fake News

Looks like the old Waves coffee building across the intersection from National on 17th ave is demoed.

Last edited by O-tacular; Oct 16, 2017 at 10:57 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates