HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 9:55 PM
Honored Member

Maastricht : casemates

Maastricht, fortified city

Gate to Holland, the city of Maastricht possessed great political and strategic importance.

As an enclave of the dutch Republic between the Spanish- and Austrian-Netherlands, the principality of Liege and located on the banks of the river Maas, the city has a great importance during the XVIth and XVIIIth centuries.
Many surrounding walls, ramparts, bastions and military forts make up a protection built along the wars and the years.

The underground defence

In addition to the famous labyrinth of marl and tuff quarries, Maastricht possesses an underground network specially made for purposes of military defence. We had the chance to explore the casemates network, indispensable element of the defensive position.

The enemy's approach underground was an attempt to powder mines placed underground to blow breached in the ring of fortifications. Counter-galleries were built to enable the defenders the enemy's approach in good time, and to render his explosive charges harmless.

As the demolition work carried out in 1868 was only superficial, the underground network remained virtually intact. One still can see examples of constructions dated from 1690 to 1822. Constructions are mainly beautiful brick barrel-vaults and walls of marlstone.

More recently, from 1941 to september 1944, most parts of the underground defence systems were used as bomb shelters. By the end of the war the system had a capacity of a 23.000 civilians. Some estimates go up to 30.000. In times of alarm for possible air attacks (mostly at night) about 10.000 to 13.000 people fled into the old, but very safe underground defence systems. Most inhabitants of Maastricht prefer the damp atmosphere of the casemates above the comfortable purpose-built concrete bomb shelters, because the old fortifications were layed out on a deeper lever in the undeground of the city (about 4 to 8 meters).

We spent a night in this about 10km long maze, trying to understand all the subtleties of the military tactics: ecoutes (specially built listening galleries), spacious caponiers, powder rooms, one-way working doors, small pits containing light mines able to collapse the galleries on the invaders...

This underground network is unfortunately not accessible anymore. A small part still can be visited as a tourist from the bastion Waldeck.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:37 PM
Staffan S

Interesting, many european cities must have remnants of their older fortifications hidden beneath the surface.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 8:54 AM

hey guys! I have to check this out. I actually LIVE above one of those extensions of the casemates. once been down there, but I don't know. Maybe my house has an entrance too...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 10:20 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julito-Dubai View Post
hey guys! I have to check this out. I actually LIVE above one of those extensions of the casemates. once been down there, but I don't know. Maybe my house has an entrance too...
Could you take some pictures of the entrance of the former US base (south east of the Sint Pietersberg) for me please ?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe