HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 9:38 PM

I don't blame the NIMBYs.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 10:37 PM

I must say I am very pro development, but I have to agree that this proposal does not add anything to the area and I personally find it kind of ugly, and will probably look like crap in the context. Now if there were apartment buildings going up the hill looking overlooking the lake (closer to the millers centre) further away from the village and "village feel" I'd be all for it and wouldnt care if they were 20 stories or higher but this seems to be wrong place and certainly wrong design for the place (it'd have to add to the feel of the village or area)

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 10:41 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ I agree with the above comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Source: CBC,May 18, 2012

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...eting-518.html

The Nimby's were out in full force for this public meeting. Although, part of me sympathizes with the residents since this development is very blah!!!

Isn't there a plan in place to guide development in the village?

I'm not sure if this site is technically within the historic village, but I would be opposed to the development because the sides facing the village are stark and a poorly designed eyesore while the front side is innocuous at best. Anything going there needs to have a more sensitive architectural character.

There are other issues though like traffic through the narrow village streets, and although this one development wouldn't add that much they have to address this issue sometime perhaps by building a bypass.

I'm not sure if the open space argument holds up unless you consider this site to be of great importance in that regard. The whole area seems to be mostly open space; from Signal Hill to the White Hills there is an abundance of open space.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 2:55 AM

I think a condo with a more townhouse look could be good for this area, if that makes any sense.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 11:32 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I think a condo with a more townhouse look could be good for this area, if that makes any sense.
^ Agreed, meaning it should be broken up into what looks like smaller units instead of 3 large buildings.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 3:12 PM

Quidi Vidi Apartment Proposal Draws Concern

Source: VOCM, May 28, 2012.

Quote:
St. John's city council will consider this evening an application to rezone property in Quidi Vidi Village to accommodate a controversial 5-story 24-unit apartment building. Councillor Bruce Tilley says in his opinion the proposed project, to be situated on the site of the old school house, is just not right for the area.

He says he knows the passion and love people have for the village and the proposed project just doesn't measure up. Tilley is the Chair of the city's Economic, Tourism and Culture Committee. He says the city is about to open Quidi Vidi Plantation, as another major draw to the area. He says it will give the province the opportunity to showcase our history, culture and art.

The proposal was not well-received at a recent public meeting. Residents expressed concerns about everything from parking and traffic, to how the development would impact the heritage-look of the area. The Department of Planning also weighed in, stating that the rezoning application is not in keeping with the planning policies for Quidi Vidi Village. Powderhouse Hill Investments wants to put a 24-unit building on land off Forest Road. Officials with Powderhouse have said they want to work with the city to find a solution to the concerns expressed, but Councilor Frank Galgay says he'll be recommending rejection of the proposed development at tonight's council meeting, not only for the benefit of the area, but for all citizens and visitors to, what he calls, a "very historic landmark".

Galgay says, Quidi Vidi Village is a jewel for tourism for the City of St. John's. He says they will continue to keep its unique and distinct character with developments that fit into its landscape.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...23508&latest=1

The writing was on the wall with this one right from the get go. Although, I'm in agreement here -> a proposal with little character + area with a lot of character = No go. Those buildings just did not look nice at all!

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 9:00 PM

The developer withdrew the application.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 6:27 PM

Thank God that was hideous

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 12:59 AM

What's going on with the area opposite the entrance to the airport on Portugal Cove Road? There is an area cleared but I don't know what the plans are.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 2:05 PM

Pleasantville

Just noticed that construction in Pleasantville does not seem to be panning out as illustrated in the site plan (http://www.clc.ca/sites/default/files/site_plan_1.pdf). For instance, the new apartment building under construction is located where there is proposed parking in the site plan and the houses being constructed across the street are not at all as shown in the plan. Just thought I would point this out. I know the "site plan" was probably just a conceptual thing but I figured it would look a bit more like it was shown in the plan.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Jun 4, 2012 at 2:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 7:59 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Just noticed that construction in Pleasantville does not seem to be panning out as illustrated in the site plan (http://www.clc.ca/sites/default/files/site_plan_1.pdf). For instance, the new apartment building under construction is located where there is proposed parking in the site plan and the houses being constructed across the street are not at all as shown in the plan. Just thought I would point this out. I know the "site plan" was probably just a conceptual thing but I figured it would look a bit more like it was shown in the plan.
The plan there is outdated in a few ways from what I know. For example, the houses on the right side of the plan labeled as "single family cottages" will have one shared parking lot as opposed to the two presented in the plan. A small change, to be sure, but none the less it demonstrates that the plan was indeed conceptual and has since been changed.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
What's going on with the area opposite the entrance to the airport on Portugal Cove Road? There is an area cleared but I don't know what the plans are.
I believe it is a new subdivision.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 5:21 PM

Hampton Inn & Suites, Stavanger Drive

Site work is started and seems to be coming along well at this site. I will try to get a picture or two up soon as I pass by here frequently.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 12:03 PM

Bennett House

here is picture of the site taken by me on June 26, 2012.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 2:23 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I'm sure many are aware, but I spent a bit of time today familiarizing myself with the Bennett House website. I noticed there wasn't a link in this thread.

http://www.bennett-house.ca/

The apartments actually look like they'll be quite nice. Certainly nice to see some apartments in St. John's. My question is what sort of rent will Killam be expecting?

EDIT: Grammar needs fixing.

Last edited by Copes; Jul 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
I'm sure many are aware, but I spent a bit of time today familiarizing myself with the Bennett House website. I noticed there wasn't a link in this thread.

http://www.bennett-house.ca/

The apartments actually look like they'll be quite nice. Certainly nice to see some apartments in St. John's. My question is what sort of rent Killam is expecting?
^^^^ Thanks for posting a link to their website. The apartments look really nice and great ammenities. I'm also wondering what kind of rent would be expected for these apartments. It seems like it won't be cheap!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 11:24 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

A few select Bennett House pictures from their website in the July section. The building is coming along nicely.

More at: http://bennett-house.ca/photo-gallery/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 11:26 AM

http://tiffanycondos.com/

"Luxury Urban Living" is what's planned for the New Tiffany Condos.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 5:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

August 30, 2012

The east end is becoming more dense and those Tiffany Towers will be a wonderful addition.

You can see some of the newer construction in Pleasantville in this panorama:

Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
August 30, 2012

The east end is becoming more dense and those Tiffany Towers will be a wonderful addition.

You can see some of the newer construction in Pleasantville in this panorama:

The east end is really coming along which I believe si often overlooked. I was surprised to see how much development is already started in Pleasentville especially residential. That area will be a very nice place to live.

I am quite excited to see what tiffany condos will look like and if you look at tehir symbol for the development it looks like two towers. Also in that area there are two locations which I think need some serious redevelopment

One is Hillveiw Terrece... that place could be a dense neighbourhood with a few highrises and public spaces instead of the military base looking four story buildings that currently exist ... maybe someday

The other location is right across from the school on Mcdonald Drive. This has a little blue building there. This would be perfect for a couple of residential highrises (back to a pond and schools right across the street) also it is located on the main arterial road which would connect easily to the rest of the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's