HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Transit Terminal Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 5:03 PM

Is this just a formality that Amtrak has to follow? I had just assumed Brandywine would be the developer, but I guess Brandywine has to formally submit an application for the parcel first?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 5:30 PM

^^I would guess so.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 8:59 PM

I think since the site got folded into the 30th Street District plan, Brandywine will be competing with other developers. From the original article announcing the plan, http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...overhaul.html:

Quote:
Brandywine Realty Trust expects to bid for this work alongside developers that have not been involved in the planning so far, said Jeffrey Weinstein, the company's vice president for construction.

The former Cira Two parcel now sits at the intersection of the two large redevelopment proposals, Cutler said.

"The market will ultimately dictate what goes there, but we think it's a very valuable development site," she said. "It really is the linchpin of the entire district."

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 10:44 AM

John Fry: More steps forward for new 30th Street District

http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion..._District.html

Old Posted Nov 16, 2016, 8:10 PM

Amtrak marketing 30th Street site for development

Quote:
Amtrak is taking the first steps to implement a master plan it has devised for the area around 30th Street Station in Philadelphia and is seeking the development of a prominent parcel.

It has enlisted Newmark Grubb Knight Frank to oversee a request for proposals on a 32,000-square-foot site at the corner of 30th Street and John F. Kennedy Boulevard. The parcel sits between 30th Street Station and 3101 Market St., which is the former Bulletin building.

The site is zoned CMX-5, which allows for a mix of uses and upwards of 900,000 square feet of space to be built by right.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...sity-city.html

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 3:19 PM

This is all likely stuff we know already, but here's a snippet of an email I received regarding the 30th Street District Plan:

"We have been busy since the release of the 30th Street Station District Plan in June!

We are pleased to announce that the City of Philadelphia and University City District have joined Amtrak, Drexel, PennDOT and SEPTA as lead partners in implementing the District Plan. This partner team has hit the ground running taking several steps over the last few months to advance a series of early action projects.

SEPTA and Amtrak have begun preliminary work to identify a preferred option for restoring the underground connection between 30th Street Station and SEPTA's Market-Frankford Line subway/elevated line and five (5) trolley lines.

PennDOT is collaborating with the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission to study possible changes to the I-76 on-and-off ramps at 30th Street.

Amtrak is advancing planning and design for a new mezzanine bar and lounge inside the station and a new north concourse to serve Amtrak, SEPTA and NJ Transit customers. The Station Plaza concept for a dynamic new civic space framing all four sides of the station remains a top priority for Amtrak.

Drexel University and its master developer Brandywine Realty Trust will begin their first development project at the front door of 30th Street Station, the renovation of the iconic Philadelphia Evening Bulletin building and accompanying construction of an exciting new public square."

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
This is all likely stuff we know already, but here's a snippet of an email I received regarding the 30th Street District Plan:

"We have been busy since the release of the 30th Street Station District Plan in June!

We are pleased to announce that the City of Philadelphia and University City District have joined Amtrak, Drexel, PennDOT and SEPTA as lead partners in implementing the District Plan. This partner team has hit the ground running taking several steps over the last few months to advance a series of early action projects.

SEPTA and Amtrak have begun preliminary work to identify a preferred option for restoring the underground connection between 30th Street Station and SEPTA's Market-Frankford Line subway/elevated line and five (5) trolley lines.

PennDOT is collaborating with the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission to study possible changes to the I-76 on-and-off ramps at 30th Street.

Amtrak is advancing planning and design for a new mezzanine bar and lounge inside the station and a new north concourse to serve Amtrak, SEPTA and NJ Transit customers. The Station Plaza concept for a dynamic new civic space framing all four sides of the station remains a top priority for Amtrak.

Drexel University and its master developer Brandywine Realty Trust will begin their first development project at the front door of 30th Street Station, the renovation of the iconic Philadelphia Evening Bulletin building and accompanying construction of an exciting new public square."

I really hope they use the underground 31st street for some transit that could be linked to the connection being created (can extend through the rail yard and down to Walnut underground on 31st street

This could link with the Pennsy cut and even somehow extend through south Philly to the Navy yard

I hope we don't miss out on a broader set of planning maybe BRT is the best option here as can be more flexible to use existing infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 10:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

Whats the status on these towers and the project?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I don't know, but it's going to be a long time before anything big gets built. Cira II (which also has a drawing on the diagrams now), could possibly be built in the coming few years because of its location, which isn't over the railyard. As for the other ones, patience is a virtue.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Amtrak sent out Requests for Proposals to developers late last year for the first tower to be built in the 30th Street Station District plan, which will be the "Cira II" site which could rise 600-700 ft tall:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...t-Station.html

Schuylkill Yards will also be built before most of these towers in the 30th Street Station District plan. They want to build on the surface lots in the area since capping the rail yards is expensive. Schuylkill Yards is starting this year, with the renovation of the Bulletin Building and the park at 30th and Market. We will also hear information on the first tower for Schuylkill Yards this year, which should start construction in early 2018. Here is the link to the Schuylkill Yards thread:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...t=Philadelphia

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 1:50 AM

30th Street Station District Plan Wins Prestigious National Award

http://media.amtrak.com/2017/01/30th...ational-award/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 1:56 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
30th Street Station District Plan Wins Prestigious National Award

http://media.amtrak.com/2017/01/30th...ational-award/
Great. Now let's get the plan implemented and start construction with the tallest building first.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Does there exist a rendering that overlays / combines both the 30th Street District and Schuylkill yards? Both have separate detailed renderings, but I don't think I have seen one that has what the combined developments will look like when finished.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Does there exist a rendering that overlays / combines both the 30th Street District and Schuylkill yards? Both have separate detailed renderings, but I don't think I have seen one that has what the combined developments will look like when finished.
You mean this? (See Post#91 above. that link provides this and other renderings.)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 6:26 PM

So I gather that in that rendering the building directly behind 30th Street Station is Cira II, yes? The new drawing of that building on the diagrams does not look remotely like that building. None of the buildings actually look like that drawing.

Also, it's great that this won an award. Now all we can do is wait for things to start coming up.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 7:39 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
So I gather that in that rendering the building directly behind 30th Street Station is Cira II, yes? The new drawing of that building on the diagrams does not look remotely like that building. None of the buildings actually look like that drawing.

Also, it's great that this won an award. Now all we can do is wait for things to start coming up.
It's the old Cira II site (NW corner of 30th and JFK), but not the old Cira II proposal. That proposal was tied to Brandywine's option on the site, which lapsed a few years ago. Amtrak recently went to market for a new developer...Brandywine may end up there again, but it's unclear whether the building will be the same. Likely not, given that so much office space is now planned for Schuylkill Yards, and this is a particularly small / difficult site for office.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Post #58 page 3 of this thread

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 5:09 PM

Philadelphia 30th Street Station District Plan wins 2017 AIA award

http://philly.curbed.com/2017/1/17/1...aia-award-2017

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 6:09 PM

The first new building will start construction next year (classrooms/office space), followed by a residential building (about a yr later).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
The first new building will start construction next year (classrooms/office space), followed by a residential building (about a yr later).
Very nice. First new tower for Schuylkill Yards, right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals