HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 13, 2005, 9:57 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Groovy business. I saw a rendering of the building on this month's cover of one of those Apartment Hunter-type magazines in Center City Friday.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2005, 11:15 PM
Gainfully Employed

A photo update from this afternoon. The pile driver is finally gone, and most of the piles are ready for formwork or concrete. The east side is looking pretty finished for the most part, with the brick work and landscaping in place. The pictures:

Old Posted Dec 5, 2005, 5:14 AM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

I finally saw while driving by the other day that the concrete base is complete.

What are some projections of when we might see the first two floors? I can't wait to see this baby rise up into the skyline along with the WSFS Center and the Blue Cross building.

They should really extend the skyline to a new proportion.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2006, 8:11 PM
Gainfully Employed

Old Posted Jan 10, 2006, 8:47 PM

the skyline shot was from the third or fourth floor and it is a dynamic view.

you can see the trains pulling in and out of the station, the drawbridge rising, and the park across the river is light/decorated for the holidays.

also the rowing crews pass back and fourth on the river.

better than a big screen tv!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2006, 11:36 PM
Gainfully Employed

^Don't forget the Kalmar Nyckel docks at Tubman Park for special occasions and holidays.

The progress may seem slow, but it's about the same as it was for the Residences (which was a year and a half ago now!). The tower crane should be arriving with the next month.

The lobby of the Residences is looking very nice. There are these multi-colored neon-like strips of light on the window facing the new park, which I'm disappointed in since it really is a runoff management area (not the broad grassy patch the rendering illustrated). The desk and interior walls are all very nicely done. Typical BPG high-end finishes and style.

Last edited by mglan80; Feb 5, 2006 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2006, 4:45 PM
Gainfully Employed

An update:

In this one you can see how the building will be right on the street.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2006, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglan80
An update:

In this one you can see how the building will be right on the street.

I'm on that job. Do you take these pictures as you walk by?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2006, 10:57 PM
Gainfully Employed

^What do you do? Iron worker, carpenter, foreman?

I usually walk down to the site every other Sunday.

Hey, look! The tower crane is being erected today. I was wrong on the location though; it's between the garage (yet to be built) and the river. I've missed seeing the crane since it packed up at the end of last summer.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 2:06 AM

^^^ Carpenter. I was on the first tower now on the second one. And yea they started putting up the tower crane today. It's gonna be a kangaroo crane not a arm tower crane with the trolley.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2006, 11:34 PM

The tower crane should be running by tomorrow or Thursday.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 2:03 AM
Gainfully Employed

^I noticed they had the cab up on my way home for lunch. So why kangaroo over trolley?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2006, 9:03 PM

Quote:
^I noticed they had the cab up on my way home for lunch. So why kangaroo over trolley?
A kangaroo crane can lift more weight. And this highrise is that big area wise. I don't think they need a long boom like a trolley crane. That's what the operator told me. We are going to start setting filigreed on Friday.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2006, 9:14 PM

This is a nice set of projects. Sorry if it was aready stated but what was on the site prior to this development.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2006, 10:48 PM
Gainfully Employed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toemayo
A kangaroo crane can lift more weight. And this highrise is that big area wise. I don't think they need a long boom like a trolley crane.
The weight issue makes sense. I'm sure the pre-fab panels for the parking garage will be heavier than the rebar cages and steel flooring for the tower. Afterall, they used an arm & trolley for the Residences tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toemayo
We are going to start setting filigreed on Friday.
Filigreed...enlighten me.

Also, do you know anyone over on the WSFS Bank Center job? I want to compliment the carpenter crew that built that porch/deck for the man-lift. That's a pretty impressive job for something temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbageman
This is a nice set of projects. Sorry if it was aready stated but what was on the site prior to this development.
It was largely an empty lot for years. There was a small building on the Walnut Street side that had a restuarant with a dock. I don't know what was there beyond that.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 12:26 AM

Quote:
The weight issue makes sense. I'm sure the pre-fab panels for the parking garage will be heavier than the rebar cages and steel flooring for the tower. Afterall, they used an arm & trolley for the Residences tower.

Filigreed...enlighten me.

Also, do you know anyone over on the WSFS Bank Center job? I want to compliment the carpenter crew that built that porch/deck for the man-lift. That's a pretty impressive job for something temporary.

It was largely an empty lot for years. There was a small building on the Walnut Street side that had a restaurant with a dock. I don't know what was there beyond that.
OVERVIEW

With the Filigree Wideslab Method, the construction of a concrete deck is divided into two separate operations. First, Filigree Wideslab units are prefabricated off-site. They consist of precast concrete panels that are reinforced with the required bottom steel. Then, these panels, used as forms, are combined with the balance of the reinforcing steel and the upper, poured-in-place layer of the slab. The Filigree Wideslabs themselves replace conventional formwork and become an integral part of the finished deck. This results in a composite slab in which both layers act together as a monolithic unit.

The Filigree Wideslab method of deck construction can be applied anywhere conventionally poured-in-place concrete is specified. It can be used for parking decks, and for floor decks in low, medium, and high-rise buildings. Filigree can be used in wallbearing, column and beam, or flat plate construction. Any strength requirements needed for poured-in-place construction can be readily met with the Filigree method. This method provides for the construction of monolithic concrete decks in a manner that is simpler, faster, and less expensive than by conventional methods. These objectives are achieved by combining the most desirable features of cast-in-place and precast concrete construction technology.

But to make it simple the pieces come on trucks. The floor/slab thickness on this is 10 1/4". The Filigree is about 2-3" thick. The pieces get flown into place. Then the rod gets laid on top and we put the slab edge form up and thats it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2006, 12:49 AM

The tower crane is up and will be running on monday.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2006, 3:24 PM
Gainfully Employed

^Good news.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2006, 8:38 PM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

Sweet, MGlan. That should be a pleasant surprise when I get back to cold Northeastern Hell tomorrow night.

Are there any floors up as per now?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2006, 3:58 AM

Still on the first floor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive