HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post

So what did the roof end up being? Did anyone ever find out or are we still in the dark?
Ugly!?! I don't understand why it is there! All the towers here have little hats, 95% of them I don't mind but this one is over the top... way to over the top!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Pennies are copper, just not on the inside. Pennies are copper plated zinc...

So what did the roof end up being? Did anyone ever find out or are we still in the dark?
It's real copper.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 4:31 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Plan Dan View Post
Ugly!?! I don't understand why it is there! All the towers here have little hats, 95% of them I don't mind but this one is over the top... way to over the top!
I think that was kind of the point. The City knew the building would be in a prominent location on the skyline so they didn't want the building to have just another one of the same "hats". The reason buildings have "hats" is because it looks better than just a plain box on the top for the mechanical penthouse. Would you prefer it if the Melville had a West End style mechanical penthouse... ?

Anyways, of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Personally I like the top of the Melville. It is unique for condos in the city (What!? A unique Vancouver condo!?) and the use of copper is unique for contemporary architecture in the city but yet alludes to the copper found on all the prominent buildings of Vancouver's historic past such as the Marine Building, Hotel Vancouver, Sinclair Centre, Sun Tower, etc. For those who don't like it copper coloured, perhaps you'll prefer it once it oxidizes. Also, the sail on the Melville is pretty awesome too. I find it can look a bit weak from certain angles but overall compliments the building nicely, plus it looks great with that lighting effect.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:40 PM

I think it's turned out really nicely and i cant wait to see it in person this summer!
Also, I had no idea the convention centre was so far along! Its really starting to make an impact.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:51 PM

Looks great

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 10:34 PM

This is by far the best condo tower in the city, until the shangri-la is built of course.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 5:26 AM
Master and Commander

Love it, Melville looks awesome! That and Shangri La I love the most.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive