HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 5:46 PM

Yeah I had icee in the US. Thats probably what I was thinking of, not slurpees.

Last edited by Luisito; Feb 14, 2020 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Those are diabetes stats which are surprising, because Saskatchewan is the obesity king.

Maybe Ontario has more type 1 diabetics? It’s obesity rate is relatively low.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...-top-spot/amp/
There are other demographic factors at play. For example, people of South Asian descent are at far higher risk of developing type II diabetes than others. Ontario, of course, has a much much larger South Asian population both in hard numbers and as a percentage.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:07 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Slurpees were pretty popular growing up as a kid in Calgary, I remember biking to the convenience store with friends most summer weekend days to get one. But based on my friends who grew up in Ontario, it wasn't much of a thing here at all.

Slurpees were an essential part of my early 2000s adolescent years. Our daily after school routine was: play basketball at the park, go to 7-11 for slurpees & taquitos, and then go to the internet cafe for LAN games of Counter Strike.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Growing up in Nova Scotia we didn't have these chain stores(711, macs). There was a chain called "needs" but I don't remember them having anything like a slurpee. They might have something like it now, I don't know. The only time I got try to slurpee as a kid was visting relatives in the US.

What we did have in Halifax was wendys. There is nothing better than a wendys frosty.
Definitely some of the convenience stores do, Circle-K and I think some of the Needs. They're not Slurpee "brand" though AFAIK. But they are relatively common. I've also seen the machines in bars here although frozen cocktails (even things like margaritas and daquiris) aren't very popular here.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 1:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Definitely some of the convenience stores do, Circle-K and I think some of the Needs. They're not Slurpee "brand" though AFAIK. But they are relatively common. I've also seen the machines in bars here although frozen cocktails (even things like margaritas and daquiris) aren't very popular here.
I think they're called Slushies. I think we also had Slush Puppy. I never saw Slurpee until moving to WPG, though. Still haven't had one - those machines seem to me like something that should be cleaned well and often and probably aren't at a gas station.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I think they're called Slushies. I think we also had Slush Puppy. I never saw Slurpee until moving to WPG, though. Still haven't had one - those machines seem to me like something that should be cleaned well and often and probably aren't at a gas station.
Yeah the frozen things are called Slush Puppies, but everyone just calls it slushies.

Circle K also has what I think is called a Big Gulp. I've never had one though.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

Honestly a lot of 7/11's and gas stationgs here are gross. Specially the inner city ones. I haven't had one here either and I have been here for a decade now. I don't buy them for my kid either. No sodas or slurpees. I don't understand why its such a point of pride for some Winnipegers to be the slurpee capital.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 7:18 PM

no love here for a Froster?

csnews.com

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Yeah the frozen things are called Slush Puppies, but everyone just calls it slushies.

Circle K also has what I think is called a Big Gulp. I've never had one though.
Big Gulps are just pop and they are from 7-11

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 10:25 PM
Rational urbanist

This thread is the latest eye-opener to me in terms of cross-national differences of things I assumed were standard across the country. Slurpees were/are an absolutely ubiquitous thing throughout the Vancouver area, both for pre-teens making their first journeys to 7-11 on their own and adults cooling off on a summer walk. Macs Frosters played the same role and are the same thing.

Slush Puppies I saw pretty much exclusively in community ice rinks and movie theatres, and I'll second the point that they're more like snow cones than slushies.

Didn't see any noticeable difference in Slurpee consumption when I was in Winnipeg. I was amused however, cause as a teenager down the wikipedia rabbit hole I actually read that Winnipeg was the #1 Slurpee consumer per capita and thought it was a funny obscure fact. I was genuinely shocked to find out that EVERYONE in Winnipeg is aware of this. I was chastised more than once for drinking Macs Frosters, as that could've been a 7-11 Slurpee contributing to the city maintaining its place

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada