HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:29 AM
BANNED

Dallas is a great city. I was there once ten years ago and had a very fun time downtown. Market Street has a great vibe.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 6:18 AM

I hope that whatever happens with TN Square, something even half resembling the renders happens to cityplace in terms of opening it up with some shops/cafes facing Hargrave. Or else that block of Hargrave is gonna be scary dead. As much as people seem to like the look of the black parkade from 160 Smith, it's horrible for that corner.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 3:57 PM
BANNED

I would be elated to see a continuation of the three windows--which were added above the Hargrave entrance--around all elevations; or glass panels simulating windows.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I would be elated to see a continuation of the three windows--which were added above the Hargrave entrance--around all elevations; or glass panels simulating windows.
Yes, those windows are really nice.

On that note, Cityplace sure does its best to hide under a cloak of anonymity... I don't for the life of me understand why there have never been signs on the exterior advertising which retailers are inside. Thousands of cars a day drive by on Donald and St. Mary... why not put up a few signs?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:27 PM

agree with Urban, glass....we need glass

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

On that note, Cityplace sure does its best to hide under a cloak of anonymity... I don't for the life of me understand why there have never been signs on the exterior advertising which retailers are inside. Thousands of cars a day drive by on Donald and St. Mary... why not put up a few signs?
So true! Also cityplace ought to look at moving the CIBC and MPI Service Centre "services" to the south end of the building and look at leasing out those prime corners to something more hospitality driven with some street presence on Graham/Donald/Hargrave.

I realize it's kinda drastic, but would love to see Boston Pizza and CIBC flip locations.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
So true! Also cityplace ought to look at moving the CIBC and MPI Service Centre "services" to the south end of the building and look at leasing out those prime corners to something more hospitality driven with some street presence on Graham/Donald/Hargrave.

I realize it's kinda drastic, but would love to see Boston Pizza and CIBC flip locations.
That'd be sweet, maybe actually make use of those display windows for real purposes.

And I think BP should stay right where it is but add a rooftop patio.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:

I've often thought people might be interested that there's been a Coles book store right beside Millennium Library for the past 30 years.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 7:22 PM

I'm curious about why the hotel is now planned for the lot across from MTS instead of adjacent to RBC convention centre. Does the hotelier prefer that? Wasn't finding a hotel the precondition of True North getting the option/purchase on the land by the RBC? And couldn't the city use the property taxes from whatever is built on that Carlton land to pay off the RBC work, even if it's an office bldg. not a hotel?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 2:05 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:

Agreed. Have they no concept of advertising for tenants? Explains why everyone always leaves...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavelle103 View Post
I'm curious about why the hotel is now planned for the lot across from MTS instead of adjacent to RBC convention centre. Does the hotelier prefer that? Wasn't finding a hotel the precondition of True North getting the option/purchase on the land by the RBC? And couldn't the city use the property taxes from whatever is built on that Carlton land to pay off the RBC work, even if it's an office bldg. not a hotel?
1. The hotel on the lot by MTS Centre was on the books for some time and was competing with the Carlton Inn site before it transferred to True North.

2. True North's acquisition of the Carlton Inn site did not require them to put a hotel on that property however it was for anyone else interested in the site at the time.

3. It is worth noting that True North is pitching an idea that includes a walkway from the RBC Convention Centre, through the Carlton Inn site and connecting to the hotel near MTS Centre. This may not have been possible with another developer on the Carlton Inn site.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
3. It is worth noting that True North is pitching an idea that includes a walkway from the RBC Convention Centre, through the Carlton Inn site and connecting to the hotel near MTS Centre. This may not have been possible with another developer on the Carlton Inn site.
That would be a great improvement to the skywalk system. The current setup of skywalk access between MTSC and RBCCC is pretty clunky and indirect... I'm sure a coordinated walkway between those two through TNS would be much better. I'm sure Longboat would happily encourage pedestrians to walk through their complex instead of Cityplace, the Delta and 333 St. Mary.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:16 PM

I feel, the new walkway from MTS Centre to RBC Convention Centre would add very little. Walkways are essentially a public right of way and the current route works and is not unnecessarily indirect. Any distance savings on the new route would be minimal at best. Also being designed from the start as a high volume walkway it will likely be highly secured with minimal in/out points for people in the system. I find the current pathway much friendlier than say the west side walkway in MTS Centre which is likely closer to what the new system will be.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:44 PM

Of course this the fantasy conceptual render from June of this year but it seems to connect all of the structures proposed and existing MTS, RBCCC quite nicely?

Image Source

Although, What we tend to conceptualize and what actually occurs when the final design is revealed are usually quite different..

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:03 PM
What could go wrong?

We should hear soon about the hotel and office development. There is already one major tenant (approx 4 to 6 floors pending floor plate size). From what I heard the Liquor and lotteries deal struck them hard (as we all figured it would). They were extremely surprised they didn't secure them as tenants.

I have heard that the Hotel is essentially a done deal.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:05 PM
BANNED

As much as I would love to see this project as bold as advertised, I would much rather see a smaller government, and more private investment. If a few floors need to be shaved off the project because of a lack of government offices, by all means.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
We should hear soon about the hotel and office development. There is already one major tenant (approx 4 to 6 floors pending floor plate size). From what I heard the Liquor and lotteries deal struck them hard (as we all figured it would). They were extremely surprised they didn't secure them as tenants.

That size of a tenant is pretty rare among class A buildings in this town... that would be pretty consistent with Simplicity's prediction that it would be one of the big law firms.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Any idea if we're looking at a possible 4 star tenant for the proposed hotel?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:39 PM
BANNED

The downtown has no more room for rinky dink hotels. Winnipeg needs a finer brand.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:22 PM

I seem to recall that the deal involving RBCCC called for a hotel brand that offered loyalty points (which is weird since every rinky dink chain now offers loyalty points), but the implication in the news stories was that it was supposed to be one of the big chains like Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, etc.

I suppose it's possible that the new hotel could be one of those chains' lesser, limited-service brands like Four Points, Residence Inn or Hyatt Place, but if there was ever an opportunity in the last 20 years to build a legit new 4 star hotel in downtown Winnipeg like a new Sheraton, Marriott or Hyatt, this is it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan