HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The airport hotel has been redesigned and will be a Hilton rather than an Intercontinental.
Value engineering strikes again. That redesign is most unfortunate, but going with the Hilton flag over Intercontinental is probably an improvement for most people.

The new canopies look so good! But dropping people off at the airport has been such an incredible chore for like two years now with no end in sight. The building will look so much better in the end but the construction is exhausting.

Atlanta's airport is great in many ways but the tile in the concourses is so weird, it looks like it was laid out by accident. Wish the whole thing was terrazo.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 11:32 PM

I agree. The redesign is a huge disappointment.

QUOTE=ATLonthebrain;8675216]Have you seen the design for the T-North extension?? The aircraft parking positions jut out the the west, perpendicular to the rest. So all of those enabling projects are required in order to make the gates fit. The airport absolutely did not want to impede on the end-around taxiway next door because it is far too valuable to the efficiently of moving aircraft around the northside departure runway. It has been so valuable that they are building another one around the south sides innermost runway.

Also, it is definitely worth it to build these 5-gates, because it will allow AA to consolidate on T and other carriers will gain access to its former US Airways gates on D. 5 gates can handle about 60 daily departures if used efficiently. That’s significant for an airport with the steadily growing demand @ ATL.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
Have you seen the design for the T-North extension?? The aircraft parking positions jut out the the west, perpendicular to the rest.
And that's the part I was missing. Thanks.

I was under the impression that it would be an in-line addition of 5 gates.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
And that's the part I was missing. Thanks.

I was under the impression that it would be an in-line addition of 5 gates.
Right! This is only for American Airlines gates. They extended the entire concourse T gates.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 11:45 PM

Renderings of the airport hotel

https://portmanarchitects.com/projec...airport-hotel/

Quote:
This world-class luxury hotel embraces its role as a gateway to the city of Atlanta. In a nod to its airport location it achieves an implied sense of movement, capturing that magical moment suspended between solid ground and soaring flight. A carpet-like roof “flies” over the meeting facilities, rising up to the lobby and the specialty restaurant and projecting over the balcony and terraces. The “carpet” rises towards the top of the tower exposing a unique architectural pattern recognizable from afar.

The hotel offers a vacation in the middle of a business trip. As you step out of the terminal there’s a spacious plaza beneath a dappled green glass canopy reminiscent of Atlanta’s revered tree canopy. As the sun streams through you can see kiosks, benches and sparkling water features. The hotel’s arrival lobby is a serene retreat at the heart of the plaza with a sweeping escalator. The abundance of light from above fills the lobby space and blurs the indoors and outdoors to lift your spirits.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:01 PM
i ain't no bubba

The hotel's description is the biggest load of BS that I seen in quite some time.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:25 PM

I wonder who at Portman was the fan of Tod Williams & Billie Tsien's former Folk Art Museum in NYC and decided to rip off a cheap copy of that facade. RIP.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:08 PM

It’s a sloped wall. That’s the similarity. Wow! I’m gonna go stretch so I can run.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:27 AM

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 5:24 AM

We haven't seen any news going on at ATL airport yet. Is concourse T extension has already started construction? Can we share a construction photos?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 12:56 PM

The awnings are simply amazing...Unreal on a clear night landing, lots of comments from others in the plane are like, WOW....

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:13 PM

ATL Airport Seeking Developers To Build On 200 Acres Nearby

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...0-acres-102401

Quote:
Hartsfield-Jackson officials released requests for proposals Jan. 6 on the properties, including the largest parcel: 145 acres at the southern side of Godby Road at its intersection with Clipper Drive in College Park, just south of Interstate 85 and the airport. Officials called that offering "ideal for a mixed commercial/residential development,” according to the RFP filed with the city's procurement office.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 9:22 PM

We are celebrating the topping out of our brand new West Parking Deck. Look out for it’s opening during the 4th Quarter of 2020!

https://twitter.com/ATLairport/statu...30721160613889

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:12 PM

Now that's a deck that Emory would be proud to build in Midtown.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
Now that's a deck that Emory would be proud to build in Midtown.
Naw, it's not tall enough - and no retail around the base.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 6:07 PM

The Hilton Hotel development and adjacent parking garage project is officially underway, FYI. Developer is soon to have the approval for crane erection (called a 7460), which is required due to the close proximity to the runways. Once that's in hand, it's full-on moving forward.

ATLotb

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
The Hilton Hotel development and adjacent parking garage project is officially underway, FYI. Developer is soon to have the approval for crane erection (called a 7460), which is required due to the close proximity to the runways. Once that's in hand, it's full-on moving forward.

ATLotb
Do you know whether the ATL Skytrain extension will start as well? They will be extending the Skytrain under the MARTA station, the rental car train station, and I think they will need part of the land for the hotel as well. I wonder if they will build an implement under this hotel to allow the Skytrain to go due West if another terminal is built in that direction.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Do you know whether the ATL Skytrain extension will start as well? They will be extending the Skytrain under the MARTA station, the rental car train station, and I think they will need part of the land for the hotel as well. I wonder if they will build an implement under this hotel to allow the Skytrain to go due West if another terminal is built in that direction.
Will see what I can find out.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 2:09 AM

Hartsfield-Jackson scraps plans to expand parking decks

https://www.ajc.com/business/uber-an...wMDm6xRIEvL1M/

Quote:
As the increased use of Uber and Lyft drives down demand for airport parking, Hartsfield-Jackson International is scrapping plans to demolish and rebuild its decks at the domestic terminal.

The world’s busiest airport developed plans several years ago to double the size of the Terminal South and Terminal North parking decks to accommodate more cars. But airport officials eventually down-scaled those plans — first shifting from two proposed eight-level parking decks to one at Terminal South, where Delta operates, and a smaller four-level parking deck at Terminal North. Then in 2018, as the popularity of ride-share services grew and the prospect of self-driving cars advanced, officials began reevaluating the plans for the Southside.

Last year, Hartsfield-Jackson general manager John Selden said that airport parking revenue had begun to decline. On Wednesday, he told the Atlanta City Council transportation committee that revenue has continued to decrease. Airport car rentals also have declined.

The original plans would cost hundreds of millions of dollars, which “the business case just doesn’t support,” Selden said. “We’re going to extend the life of the ones we have.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Smart move... And you wonder why the state of Georgia wants to take over the airport from the city of Atlanta? Hmm. Dont' rock the boat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta