HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:32 PM

Urban Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Like what used to be there:

I have never seen that picture before! That's Great!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:33 PM

You can see how close they were to the James Ave. coal-fired central heating plant in this 1945 photo of downtown (just northwest of the circular tank that you can also see in the first picture TimeFadesAway posted).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Inner-city housing project dies without provincial help
Area councillor wants to rescind sale to non-profit agency and give CentreVenture a shot at redevelopment

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...sing-1.3993982

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 2:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Inner-city housing project dies without provincial help
Area councillor wants to rescind sale to non-profit agency and give CentreVenture a shot at redevelopment

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...sing-1.3993982
anyone wondering what lit this is its between pacific and ross across from where frame arts wherehouse used to be what left of an old rail yard

its a pritty big chunk of land i think we shoyuld sit on for a few more yrs

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I have never seen that picture before! That's Great!
Here's another picture of it from just before it was torn down. It was called Bigg's Terrace and stood at the corner of James and Louise.

https://digital.library.yorku.ca/yul...-rupert-avenue

It was torn down during the first phase of the Disraeli project, when Lily was bashed through to James. The tree that's in the far right of the above photo is still standing at the corner James and Lily, so that gives you a reference point of the current corner being roughly the centre of the terrace. In the photo below, you can see the James access to Lily in the upper left corner, and the stub that was left of Louise to the right of that. This all changed again about 5 years later with the commencement of the Centennial project. The last of Louise was completely eliminated and Lily was pushed through to Market.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9513047@N05/32571871350/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:04 PM

Streetside just can't seem to sell their James Ave condo's. Still 4 units available at 110 James... They're very nice units, but at $412 condo fees for a 640sqft unit and no parking it's a very tough sell.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK59 View Post
Streetside just can't seem to sell their James Ave condo's. Still 4 units available at 110 James... They're very nice units, but at $412 condo fees for a 640sqft unit and no parking it's a very tough sell.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they admitted to making a tactical error in going too high-end with 110 James. They adjusted their approach for 132 and it seems to have been more successful. I imagine they will take a similar approach for the Market Ave ones that will be coming to market (haha) soon.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they admitted to making a tactical error in going too high-end with 110 James. They adjusted their approach for 132 and it seems to have been more successful. I imagine they will take a similar approach for the Market Ave ones that will be coming to market (haha) soon.
Not sure how the owners of these units are already on the hook for $400+/month in condo fees already. Makes me think they are already doing repairs to the building that perhaps Streetside should have done when renovating or there are mechanical issues no longer under warranty.

I guess it's not insane considering the fees include: Heat, Hot Water, Hydro, Insurance-Common Area, Landscaping/Snow Removal, Management, Water.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:35 PM

Quote:
^^ Soon is today for 139 Market Ave. Agents are taking appointments for registered potential buyers to view and put in offers. 132 James was in the range of $275/sq. ft so it'll be interesting where 139 Market comes in.

I think the per sq. ft. price will have a wide variance as 4 units have private walkout terraces and 16 other private terraces will be available for purchase. This building will also have a gym and group use room. As well as commercial space available on main floor.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Not sure how the owners of these units are already on the hook for $400+/month in condo fees already. Makes me think they are already doing repairs to the building that perhaps Streetside should have done when renovating or there are mechanical issues no longer under warranty.

I guess it's not insane considering the fees include: Heat, Hot Water, Hydro, Insurance-Common Area, Landscaping/Snow Removal, Management, Water.
Wow, condo feed include all of that???? That's pretty damn good to include all utilities except phone/tv/internet.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:

Condo fees at 132 are lower.

$425 for 1000+ sq/ft. Have increased from $390 in May 2014.

As you said, fees include all of those services. Only thing above and beyond owners are on the hook for are internet/cable. They did wire the whole building for fiber so that is a bonus. Access panel similar to breaker panel in every unit for all internet hardware.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 2:39 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 3:20 PM

It really is nice. What finish is going on the new apartment? Grey stucco or something? It fits the area quite well with size and shape.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Hardie board? Fibre cement siding?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 8:42 PM

After initial renderings they announced that they changed the finished design, so it's should be a surprised.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 2:58 PM

Interesting article about Winkler's investments in super high speed internet service with a local company called Valley Fiber. If they pull it off they will have much speedier service than Winnipeg. Internet wizard Les Bester is quoted on the work he has done in the Exchange to install 1000 megabit.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...415616004.html

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Interesting article about Winkler's investments in super high speed internet service with a local company called Valley Fiber. If they pull it off they will have much speedier service than Winnipeg. Internet wizard Les Bester is quoted on the work he has done in the Exchange to install 1000 megabit.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...415616004.html
that is so impressive to me. Winkler really has its act together.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:08 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

A promo done by the Exchange District BIZ:

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:21 AM

Wow. That is painful.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 2:30 PM
BANNED

The downtown Biz/Stefano Grande is all over Twitter; Brian Timmerman is a f*ckin wallflower, and the Exchange District Biz barely puts out anything.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan