HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 11:44 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Sep 23, 2013 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 12:23 AM
Has been

Hmmm, this potash thing just broke today and could play out in a number of ways. It's a little early to be declaring it "game over" for Saskatchewan. Besides, potash has nothing to do with our prosperity rather it's the direct result of personable premier Brad Wall and the business friendly policies of his Sask Party government. Everyone knows that.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:05 AM

Bad news, but it's only growth being cut in half (and only by some predictions), not the entire economy being cut in half. SK would still be growing faster than MB or eastern provinces.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:30 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
So now that the Sasatchewan economy is expected to go down the shitter by being cut in half, I'm wondering if the province will begin to tighten it's limited purse strings on this project. Would only make sense.
As others have said, it's the growth that is being cut, not the entire economy... but in any case, if Manitoba can fund a stadium while in deficit, I'm sure Saskatchewan can do the same.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 1:55 PM
ARTchitecture

hahahahaha ohhh Shinook, my ol' buddy

The growth in Sask and AB these last few years have been incredible, it's not like no one ever expected it to end. Regardless, I'm sure Sask will pick up again even if it does decline in the short term, the resources there are far too valuable to our planet. I doubt this hickup will have an effect on the budget of a stadium which is already late in the design process, can't wait to see this $280 million beauty!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Aug 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 4:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
So now that the Sasatchewan economy is expected to go down the shitter by being cut in half, I'm wondering if the province will begin to tighten it's limited purse strings on this project. Would only make sense.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 11:07 PM

Sooooooo

any news on the stadium?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 11:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le-TanK- View Post
Sooooooo

any news on the stadium?
When there is news, it will be posted here . Things are happening behind the scenes right now and there is nothing really to report. Site prep will begin after the Ex but actual construction won't start until next year and of course before then, the actual project team has to be selected.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 7:22 PM

Just to be sure: has the province actually committed to the funding it will provide for the stadium project ($80 million grant, plus $100 million loan to the City of Regina)? I know there was a Memorandum of Understanding signed last year, but is that considered contractually binding?

In any case, I think it's likely the stadium will go ahead, and any decline in provincial potash revenues will be reflected in a decrease in funding for future provincial projects. I doubt Premier Wall wants to go too deeply into a deficit position; the budget this spring was already fairly tight.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Just to be sure: has the province actually committed to the funding it will provide for the stadium project ($80 million grant, plus $100 million loan to the City of Regina)? I know there was a Memorandum of Understanding signed last year, but is that considered contractually binding?

In any case, I think it's likely the stadium will go ahead, and any decline in provincial potash revenues will be reflected in a decrease in funding for future provincial projects. I doubt Premier Wall wants to go too deeply into a deficit position; the budget this spring was already fairly tight.
I can't answer your question but I'm fairly certain the province won't back out of its deal. As far as the province going into a deficit due to falling potash revenues, that is highly unlikely. Premier Wall stated this morning that oil revenues are up and the Canadian dollar is lower than what was projected, which causes higher revenues for projected income in USD. Also, potash only accounts for something like 5% of our revenues. The sky is not falling. Not to get too off topic, but I'll also mention that BHP wants out of Canpotex so that it can sell potash itself, something that Belarusian company is doing, which caused the markets to fall. So, it sounds like BHP was preparing to sell its potash from the Jansen mine for lower prices anyway, so that project should continue.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 9:36 PM

Having watched a few games from Winnipeg's new stadium, I really think we should be able to build something for far less money then what has been proposed. Winnipeg's facility looks fantastic and sounds like it has created a great atmosphere for football! We need to revisit our intentions on our stadium and look to model it off of what Winnipeg has achieved and save some cash at the same time!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Having watched a few games from Winnipeg's new stadium, I really think we should be able to build something for far less money then what has been proposed. Winnipeg's facility looks fantastic and sounds like it has created a great atmosphere for football! We need to revisit our intentions on our stadium and look to model it off of what Winnipeg has achieved and save some cash at the same time!
IMO we must go big or go home. IGF is great, but unless we get something substantially better, I could live with Mosaic for another 10 years. Regarding re-doing the financial model, that ship has sailed. The $278 million not including land (which is already owned by the City) is in place and is set in stone.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
The stadium is going full-steam ahead. (Even though NDP people would still love to see it fail.)

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 10:10 PM

lmao NDP lmao

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
The stadium is going full-steam ahead. (Even though NDP people would still love to see it fail.)
I don't think this is a partisan issue, and we shouldn't bring partisan politics into it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
IMO we must go big or go home. IGF is great, but unless we get something substantially better, I could live with Mosaic for another 10 years. Regarding re-doing the financial model, that ship has sailed. The $278 million not including land (which is already owned by the City) is in place and is set in stone.
I agree - do it right or wait until you can do it right. I think the rational Winnipeg people would be the first ones to say they have cut corners that they would have prefered not to have cut. We will have to live with this for a long time - do it right.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease
I agree - do it right or wait until you can do it right.
There would be a danger in waiting too long, as Mosaic Stadium would continue to deteriorate without substantial money ($100 million+) being put into renovations. Even then, the renovations would only defer a stadium replacement decision for another 10-15 years.

I don't know what the situation in Winnipeg was, whether Canad Inns Stadium could have continued to serve for another decade as it was, or whether money would've been needed for serious renovations if the stadium was not replaced right away.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
I agree - do it right or wait until you can do it right. I think the rational Winnipeg people would be the first ones to say they have cut corners that they would have prefered not to have cut. We will have to live with this for a long time - do it right.
Winnipeg is not a city known for palatial sports complexes... Winnipeg Stadium and Winnipeg Arena were very barebones, and even the MTS Centre is pretty basic by NHL arena standards. But as for IGF, I think you'd have a hard time finding cut corners that actually impact the fan experience.

The stuff that has been cited is the kind of thing that is behind the scenes stuff, like the apparent issue with vents on the upper deck concourse and some other minor mechanical things. Even the unenclosed press box (which is a bit of a head scratcher) doesn't have an impact on the fan experience and is easily fixed without great expense.

The main attractions, like bowl seating, generous legroom, huge video screens, massive roof and the like all made it into the final version of the stadium plan.

Sometimes you've got to take the bird in the hand. As much as I've slammed Hamilton, their new building is preferable to staying at Ivor Wynne Stadium. In Winnipeg's case, I have no doubt that CanadInns could have been made to last another decade, but it was so far behind the times that the Bombers were losing out on huge revenue-producing opportunities by staying in there. It probably made more sense to go ahead with IGF than to wait until the stars aligned for a perfect Cowboys Stadium-like palace.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
There would be a danger in waiting too long, as Mosaic Stadium would continue to deteriorate without substantial money ($100 million+) being put into renovations. Even then, the renovations would only defer a stadium replacement decision for another 10-15 years.

I don't know what the situation in Winnipeg was, whether Canad Inns Stadium could have continued to serve for another decade as it was, or whether money would've been needed for serious renovations if the stadium was not replaced right away.
I think the money they just spent last year on the Grey Cup Legacy project, (seating, boxes, video screens) with just a few million more for new rest rooms and concession renos would easily do us for 10 more years without the phony $100 million that has always been tossed about.

Still I support $278 million for a state of the art stadium, especially since a huge chunk of the cash is coming form users.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 9:25 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I think the money they just spent last year on the Grey Cup Legacy project, (seating, boxes, video screens) with just a few million more for new rest rooms and concession renos would easily do us for 10 more years without the phony $100 million that has always been tossed about.

Still I support $278 million for a state of the art stadium, especially since a huge chunk of the cash is coming form users.
As a regular attendee on the East Side, I really don't think the $100 mill was that far off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan