HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I got an updated copy of the Vacant Building report from the city. I mapped those in Uptown, the South End, and Waterloo Village here: https://imgur.com/a/lbXjsmy

Green= under construction currently
Red= no known activity
Pink= non-residential, no known activity

Two clusters. One unsurprisingly between Waterloo and Dorchester, and the other surprisingly at the far end of Prince William and Germain. Everything else is scattered across the south end.
Thanks for doing this, very interesting to see them mapped out!

Thinking of our of the "red dots" I pass walking to work everyday, there have been contractors doing work inside the building on the corner of Dorchester and Sewell for the past few weeks. Not sure what they are doing exactly, and the building looks in horrible condition from the outside, but I would love for it to be saved if possible.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Thanks for doing this, very interesting to see them mapped out!

Thinking of our of the "red dots" I pass walking to work everyday, there have been contractors doing work inside the building on the corner of Dorchester and Sewell for the past few weeks. Not sure what they are doing exactly, and the building looks in horrible condition from the outside, but I would love for it to be saved if possible.
There's lots of stuff I likely missed. I wanted to be conservative with my assumptions. Everything I marked green is 100% in progress. I'd be thrilled to be corrected on anything I omitted.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 4:33 AM

Interesting item in the upcoming Finance Committee meeting on Wednesday, February 28, 2024. An adjustment of the 2024 Capital budget to include $210,000 for the installation of the floating docks system on the Fundy Quay side of the Market Slip

Quote:
"REPORT
The proposed capital project will significantly increase the dock system capacity to allow additional recreation boats.

The scope of work consists of the following:

- Conduct the required surveys to determine the modifications required to the existing docks.

- Provide stamped engineered drawings for the new guide pile to be mounted to the Fundy Quay side of the slip.

- Mobilize to Market Slip and Long Wharf.

- Make alterations to the existing docks to facilitate installation in the narrower slip.

- Make test connections at Long Wharf to ensure width matches the slip.

- Install new guide pile on the Fundy Quay side of the slip.

- Install the floating docks within the slip.

- Commissioning.

STRATEGIC ALIGNMENT

The proposed capital project aligns with City Council Priorities (2021-2026)
Belong: “We enhance the quality of life and social well-being in a safe place to live; offering recreation, arts, and cultural opportunities that align with PlanSJ, PlaySJ and other related plans.

The floating docks system project was not included in the 2024 General Fund Capital. The construction work will take approximately four months to be completed."
https://pub-saintjohn.escribemeeting...cumentId=16951

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 6:36 PM

Great to see the city trying to make the harbour more accessible. Unfortunately, Market Slip is often an uncomfortable and sometimes even hazardous place for small craft to lay. In certain wind and tide conditions there can be a very strong surge that can slam boats into the dock ( think water sloshing in a bathtub). Pugsley Slip to the south of Fundy Quay is actually far more protected.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:24 PM

Council minutes have the long-vacant 181-183 Union St property being renovated. Some restrictive land use covenant is being removed to allow for apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors. I did notice the ground floor has been properly boarded up.

I believe a Subway, and more recently, a sketchy combination pawn shop and barbecue, had been housed on the ground floor.

Good luck, that's one tough location.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Council minutes have the long-vacant 181-183 Union St property being renovated. Some restrictive land use covenant is being removed to allow for apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors. I did notice the ground floor has been properly boarded up.

I believe a Subway, and more recently, a sketchy combination pawn shop and barbecue, had been housed on the ground floor.

Good luck, that's one tough location.
I remember that Subway well, back when Wendy’s was next to it on the corner of Union and Coburg it was a happening spot at night back around 2000.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 8:09 PM

Some small updates.

It's reportedly a bakery going in at 107 Princess.

SOLD sign on 134-144 Carmarthen, which is currently a gigantic and mostly vacant rooming house. Not in PAOL yet but they were asking $600K. Could be anything from 12 apartments to 3 huge townhouses. Massive undertaking for whoever bought it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:48 PM

For those who are supporters of a harbour ferry, Halifax just announced 5 new electric ferries and two new terminals at a cost of $258million. https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/new...ion-100944496/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:37 PM

The last of the retractable glass roofs on the patios are being installed today.

(Photo was posted on Facebook by Market Square).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
For those who are supporters of a harbour ferry, Halifax just announced 5 new electric ferries and two new terminals at a cost of $258million. https://www.saltwire.com/halifax/new...ion-100944496/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:28 PM

259-261 Germain is under extensive renos, per the crew working on it. Vacant for years, will become a 5-unit.

270-272 Prince William, a long-vacant 3-unit, along with 274-276 Prince William, a 5-unit vacant next door, are both deep into renos too. Couldn't ask the crew for more details as they were putting new windows in the latter with a lift truck.

That's 13 units in really strong locations. There won't be many more primo vacant buildings in great places soon.

I wonder when someone buys the Lantern House on Princess? 166 Prince William, 24-26 Paddock, and the 134-144 Carmarthen property I mentioned are all former rooming houses converted back into apartments, or being converted back into them.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 1:11 PM

Telegraph Journal reporting that JSM Sports Entertainment has been awarded the contract for events, concerts and general programming at the new 'Gathering Space' at Market Square.

It was previously managed by the Tenant's Association of Market Square.

JSM Sports Entertainment is an entertainment company spearheaded by Scott McCain.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 1:33 PM

I find myself getting more and more familiar with calling the area Ihtoli-maqahamok, after decades of just 'the Boardwalk'

Will be great to see it managed differently, hopefully that means a lot of new entertainment on the horizon and not just re-hashes of past events like Saint John Idol - although to be fair that did draw big crowds to the waterfront every week at its peak.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 10:49 PM

The city has entered in a lease agreement for a new bakery inside the City Market. Charlotte Street Bakery will be in the recently renovated space at the top of the Market between the Butcher’s Daughter and Jeremiah’s. Will be operated by Roselynn Foods ltd. https://pub-saintjohn.escribemeeting...cumentId=17051

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:09 PM

Does anyone have any insight as to what will be going in to the former Sister's location? I walked through the market last week and it was completely demo'd.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:15 PM

No, but glad to see some signs of life returning to the Market. Things have been looking pretty sad with so many empty spaces. Still a long way to go when you think of how it was 5 or 10 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 1:36 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I miss Sister's. I would drive from Fredericton to eat there.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:00 PM

I was told that Chicken by Felix is moving to the Sisters spot and the City Market Green Grocer (formerly Pete's) will be expanding into that spot and doing a sort of storefront. Part of the plan to go from 3 aisles to two.

Also told the bakery is the people that own/run Jeremiah's

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I was told that Chicken by Felix is moving to the Sisters spot and the City Market Green Grocer (formerly Pete's) will be expanding into that spot and doing a sort of storefront. Part of the plan to go from 3 aisles to two.

Also told the bakery is the people that own/run Jeremiah's
That all sounds very positive to me, more local ownership expanding, more food options that serve residents not just tourists, etc. Sign me up!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
That all sounds very positive to me, more local ownership expanding, more food options that serve residents not just tourists, etc. Sign me up!
Yes, I agree it's good news. I only wish the merchandise aimed at tourists was more along the lines of local crafts rather than the tacky Made in China stuff that takes up so much of the centre aisle

I was also told there is talk of building a mezzanine seating area over the Germain St entrance with stairs going up from Uncorked. It would be a neat place to have lunch purchased from one of the market stalls along with a beer or glass of wine from Uncorked.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces