HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 9:40 PM
the first stamp is free

^ lots of nanny'ing happening in Manitoba...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 10:14 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
BC was the worst for high beer prices when I lived there in the 90s. Plus most BC liquor stores were closed on Sundays. You couldn't get a beer except at pubs or sometimes (rarely) off sales at hotels. And at Granville Island Brewery.
Things have changed a lot since the 90s... I'd say Ontario has more nanny state vibes than BC these days. At least you can drink in the park in Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 10:38 PM
sick transit, gloria

Great Lakes Brewery is probably the best craft deal in Ontario. Can get 24 tall cans of Canuck Pale Ale or GLB Lager for $50 with free next day home delivery. There’s a reason most people I know in the beer industry drink it almost exclusively.

London sounds like a different world than where I am - I can think of probably a dozen places within a 15 min walk that I could buy beer at. Granted, if I want macro I’m limited to the Beer Store or LCBO but for craft products there are 2 grocery stores, 2 boutique craft beer/wine shops, 3 craft breweries, several specialty food stores that are licensed plus all the bars will do off-sales late into the evening. This is all new in the past 5 years and especially since Covid - it’s a far cry from what it used to be.

Technically not allowed to drink in the park still but authorities have been pretty explicit they aren’t going to ticket someone having a beer (unless you look a certain way of course, which brings up a lot of equity issues). Toronto council will be discussing it soon and hopefully won’t push it back another year. But functionally I have no issues and don’t bother hiding it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 1:43 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I don't drink out in public much, and if I ever do, I hide it.

That being said, it's something I might do once every couple years. Generally I just buy myself some Mooseheads, Boneshakers, or Labatt Blue. The LCBO and Beer store are nearly equi-distant from me, but the Beer Store is down the hill I'm on, so it's always a better bet for buying beer.

I still can't wrap my head around the idea of (some) grocery stores and movie theatres selling alcohol, it's a big change for a generally conservative ruling around access to liquor.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 2:13 AM
Ham-burgher

I tend to swing from wine, to beer, and vice versa.

Been on a beer trend lately... some craft brews I love (Side Launch wheat, for example). But I'll more often buy European lagers... Faxe, Tyskie, Zubr, Hacker Pschorr, Zywiec, Tatra, Kaiser, Lowenbrau. The cheaper tall cans. Good beer. Less money.

Cannot bring myself to purchase anything macro-brewed in North America. Sometimes I'll do Sleeman Draught. But that's about it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Right now, I could go to my local MacEwen gas station and buy a 12 of Moosehead for 19.99.
In Ontario is costs $26.95 for 12 Moosehead and that's including tax and deposit as prices here have to include those things.

So in Quebec a 12-pack for sale for $19.99 would end up costing $24.18 when tax and deposit are added. A savings of $2.77 compared to the set price in Ontario.

The same thing in New Brunswick, home of Moosehead, costs $29.00

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Kokanee is/was silt-laden mountain trench runoff. (Kootenay, on the other hand, actually tasted like it was made from glacial water).

Bud Light Chelada sounds absolutely disgusting. An abortion of a beer. Somehow it sounds like it might even taste worse than Bud Light Lime, something that I didn't think could ever be possible.

The Bud Light Crowd
Kootenay is the original local beer for Castlegar. It's brewed 90 minutes east in Creston BC.
And for Kokanee which is also from Creston haven't had one for many years.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 5:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

of the many, many, many beers I have drank, this one is probably the worst-tasting of the truly domestic beers (i.e., Canadian marque and made, so steer piss like Coors lite and Bud lite lime does not count):

Absolutely vile, nasty stuff. I could not believe how fucking bad it tasted. Maybe the beer was expired/rotten? I can still taste how awful it was at the back of my throat. Truly a Nickelbackian-level of badness.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 7:40 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ don't knock the beer/clamato mix till you try it. It's good. Not drinking a whole 6-pack good, but a couple every now and again.

You can make the mix with any beer you have on hand, but the premixed ones are fine.
Spoken like a true Manitoban, drew!

(I will agree that I have a soft spot for beer and clam).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 7:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The only thing that I have been known to mix into beer is Ginger Beer [never ginger ale] (one part each, with ice = Shandy Gaff).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 8:23 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Spoken like a true Manitoban, drew!

(I will agree that I have a soft spot for beer and clam).
The Bud Lite "chelada" have been available down in the states for at least the last decade and likely longer. Which is odd, because more than likely they still serve up Bloody Mary's (meh) instead of Caesar's (good!)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 8:26 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
The only thing that I have been known to mix into beer is Ginger Beer [never ginger ale] (one part each, with ice = Shandy Gaff).
Try this mix:

1 container of frozen lemonade concentrate
4 beer
1 mickey vodka.

It's surprisingly good - but don't make any plans for the next day.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 8:29 PM

Anything that comes out of Pacific Western Brewing in Prince George is of excellent quality at a great value.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Try this mix:

1 container of frozen lemonade concentrate
4 beer
1 mickey vodka.

It's surprisingly good - but don't make any plans for the next day.
In Florida I was introduced to a "Hurricane". A shot of tequila in a Corona. Boilermakers in general are great. Just don't ask for an Irish Car Bomb in some bars.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 11:41 PM
recession proof

I used to like Neustadt 10W30. I remember the first mainstream beer I tried as a "grownup" 22 year old: Sleeman Cream Ale. Having only drank Double Diamond, Old Speckled Hen etc English ales, I was astonished humans could drink that shit. Years later when I finally had Coors Lite ... haha.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 12:08 AM

Location: Another great post taking place from the best place on earth!
I have always enjoyed myself a Moosehead beer now and again especially when out of Country in places like Australia. I enjoyed Kokanee beer they has some epic comercial's back in the day. The real fun stuff with beer is happening right now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZBBguEvdD8

Mark Dice is awesome!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I prefer Kootenay over Kookanee.
I have also enjoyed the Kootenay over the Kokanee lately it is very good but also very economical. It is a good beer though if you do not chose to go with a micro brew.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Sorry for resurrecting this thread. Well, no. not sorry.

Kokanee really milked that 'fresh glacial water' thing. Much like Dasani is exquisite local tap water, chilled in a 7-eleven cooler for maximum freshness.

Anyone try Bud Light Chelada? The beer and clam sensation? I bet Proof Sheet has cases hoarded away in his garage for future summer garden parties.
It was actually the perfect time to resurrect this thread with all the Dylan Mulvaney backlash.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...sy/ar-AA19GCNL They have lost over 4 billion so far.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:16 AM

Interesting facts about going woke and going broke! Now with a cap loss of close to 7 billion dollars. Interesting to see Coors Stock surge!

https://nypost.com/2023/04/17/coors-...-mulvaney-ads/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 2:57 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmountainland View Post
Interesting facts about going woke and going broke! Now with a cap loss of close to 7 billion dollars. Interesting to see Coors Stock surge!

https://nypost.com/2023/04/17/coors-...-mulvaney-ads/
A much needed tonic of unexpected hilarity in bleak times! And now it looks like this has all been an act, that his trans persona is a charade in his desperate bid for fame and fortune.

https://twitter.com/OliLondonTV/stat...892058625?s=20

He's the kind of celebrity that we fully deserve, of course. No Humphrey Bogart's or Peter Fonda's for us, we get men in dresses and screeching harridans hectoring all and sundry for gender/racial wrongthink.

(Uh, only tangentially related to beer, I know...)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada