HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
Hey... I've been doing a bit of researching, just for fun, in another thread (re: old NB railbeds) and wonder if anyone knows, or can tell, based on old pictures, satellite data or perhaps great-grandpa/ma where the train station (and rail line) into Alma, NB was? I'm trying to figure out the path it took to get back to Riverside Albert, but all I can come up with is that the current road (114) might have replaced it at the bottom of the gully.
I don't remember the other thread we were talking in but I got you some images. As far as I know the 114 between west river and 45 river road was the rail ROW.

image hosting

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 11:14 AM

It was the Active Transportation thread, as it was about using old railbeds as potential bike trails.

But this is helpful... in most cases I'm very much on where you are. The only bit I couldn't seem to SEE was the railbed across the marsh from Riverside to Harvey. And what I could see, I wasn't sure if was old road instead.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
It was the Active Transportation thread, as it was about using old railbeds as potential bike trails.

But this is helpful... in most cases I'm very much on where you are. The only bit I couldn't seem to SEE was the railbed across the marsh from Riverside to Harvey. And what I could see, I wasn't sure if was old road instead.
Asking my grandfather who grew up in Riverside-Albert was a big help. He said there used to be an old truss bridge right next to the main road bridge in west river that he used to go fishing on as a kid. The ones in Alma I was guessing on, but he did tell me that the rail went down to the warf so this routing would make sense.

Also try using the NB Geodatabase. You can see the ROW’s in some cases. http://www.snb.ca/geonb1/e/index-E.asp

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 10:20 AM

New Brunswick investing $11.5M to add passing lanes on Route 11
September 21, 2023by Today's Trucking
New Brunswick will construct new passing lanes along key stretches of provincial highway Route 11 in work expected to be complete by the end of the year.
“Our government is pleased to announce that work will begin soon to further improve safety for the traveling public along two key sections of Route 11,” Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Richard Ames said in a news release. “Both projects support our ongoing priority to provide a safer drive along this critical link in our province.”
The two construction projects, valued at $11.5 million, will add lanes for highway traffic traveling in both directions — a 1.45-km northbound passing lane and 1.45 km southbound passing lane in Saint-Louis de Kent near Route 480, and a 1.8-km northbound passing lane and a 2.25-km southbound passing lane near Rexton.
These projects are the first in a series of passing lanes planned for the Route 11 corridor between Bouctouche and Miramichi. Route 11 is a key transportation and trade corridor between northern and southeast New Brunswick, as well as Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimerJAB View Post
New Brunswick will construct new passing lanes along key stretches of provincial highway Route 11 in work expected to be complete by the end of the year.
“Our government is pleased to announce that work will begin soon to further improve safety for the traveling public along two key sections of Route 11,” Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Richard Ames said in a news release. “Both projects support our ongoing priority to provide a safer drive along this critical link in our province.”
The two construction projects, valued at $11.5 million, will add lanes for highway traffic traveling in both directions — a 1.45-km northbound passing lane and 1.45 km southbound passing lane in Saint-Louis de Kent near Route 480, and a 1.8-km northbound passing lane and a 2.25-km southbound passing lane near Rexton.
These projects are the first in a series of passing lanes planned for the Route 11 corridor between Bouctouche and Miramichi. Route 11 is a key transportation and trade corridor between northern and southeast New Brunswick, as well as Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
They should be twinning Route 15 up to exit 15. It’s roughly 9km of new roads and 1 bridge. All the overpasses are already double wide. This project is long overdue.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
They should be twinning Route 15 up to exit 15. It’s roughly 9km of new roads and 1 bridge. All the overpasses are already double wide. This project is long overdue.
I think you got your exit numbers messed up. Do you mean Route 15 from exit 37 at Ohio Road, to exit 46 at Pointe-a-Nicet road? That's about 8 km with only one bridge, over the Aboujagane.

If they want a cheap extension that would still be useful, go as far as exit 43 at Route 933, near Grand Barachois. 5km with no offramps or onramps to reconfigure, and no bridge.

If they're going to go to the expense of crossing the river, they may as well go the 14km to Cap Pele at exit 53. Nowhere beyond there has the population or traffic to justify twinning, eh?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 4:58 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
If they're going to go to the expense of crossing the river, they may as well go the 14km to Cap Pele at exit 53. Nowhere beyond there has the population or traffic to justify twinning, eh?
That’ll depend on summer traffic.
Even in Ontario, high summer cottage traffic can warrant twinning a highway, especially if the highway also carries long-distance traffic (which I’m pretty sure that N.B.-15 does).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 5:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I think twinning to the first Cap Pele exit could be justified. The traffic in the summer is very heavy. All the installed overpasses to this point are already double wide and awaiting a twinned roadway.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 7:46 PM

After St Andre Rd, Route 15 is no longer controlled access, and is lined by houses and businesses. NB clearly won't build a brand new controlled access highway beyond Route 950. Other than this, what is the chance that Route 11 gets twinned across the Cocagne River?

It would take some serious federal funding and a Liberal government to twin across the Little Bouctouche and Bouctouche Rivers, let alone anything in the direction of Rexton. Is it even needed that far north? I feel like a twinned highway from south of Bouctouche to east of Cap Acadie would be adequate.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 10:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
It would take some serious federal funding and a Liberal government to twin across the Little Bouctouche and Bouctouche Rivers, let alone anything in the direction of Rexton. Is it even needed that far north? I feel like a twinned highway from south of Bouctouche to east of Cap Acadie would be adequate.
The funding was negotiated and in place for twinning the bridge across the Cocagne River. Higgs reneged on the agreement after he took power. It was too expensive for his innards to accept. I thought it was a stupid move since the feds were going to pay more than half the cost. Ever since then, I have referred to the current premier as "Parsimonious Higgs."

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 9:21 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimerJAB View Post
Funny how I was just looking this up the other day to see if they were going to do further twinning on the 11. This makes me feel kind of disgusted. If they are adding passing lanes then that will ruin the very chance that this highway gets twinned in the future by any government. That would be the equivalent to renovating a building only to tear it down in a few years to build a bigger one. Why would the government do it now?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I think twinning to the first Cap Pele exit could be justified. The traffic in the summer is very heavy. All the installed overpasses to this point are already double wide and awaiting a twinned roadway.
Even though the Confederation Bridge is only one lane in each direction, I always thought that for economical reasons we should have a twinned highway to P.E.I., we have twinned highways to Quebec, Nova Scotia and Maine. This is the only state/province that we have a border with and no twinned highway to bring access to it.

Quote:
After St Andre Rd, Route 15 is no longer controlled access, and is lined by houses and businesses. NB clearly won't build a brand new controlled access highway beyond Route 950. Other than this, what is the chance that Route 11 gets twinned across the Cocagne River?

This is what I was hoping for and eventually going to Rexton/Richibucto, as this is the limits of the Moncton CMA economic zone.

I was hoping that we would see a highway twinned to PEI, to Rexton/Richibucto and from Fredericton to Saint John. Even if we just did like 5 kilometers per year, it would eventually be finished, even if it took like 25 years. But no work on it at all whatsoever is very disappointing. How 2 of our biggest cities, not to mention our best port and capital on top of that, don't have a highway to join them? No twinned highway to P.E.I. and no twinning to the north.

Very rough numbers and not entirely accurate:
about 70 km needed from Fredericton to Saint John,
about 50 km needed from Shediac to P.E.I.,
about 45 km needed from south of Cocagne to Rexton/Richibucto.

Measurements done on Google Earth with straight lines from point A to B.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 8:46 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I've been thinking about how to convert TCH in Gander into a freeway here and there. Here's my proposal. Thoughts?
=====
Des fois je pense au réaméangement de la Route Transcanadienne à Gander en Autoroute. Voici ma proposition. Qu'en pensez-vous?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I've been thinking about how to convert TCH in Gander into a freeway here and there. Here's my proposal. Thoughts?
=====
Des fois je pense au réaméangement de la Route Transcanadienne à Gander en Autoroute. Voici ma proposition. Qu'en pensez-vous?
I’m surprised the government has not already done this! They must be to concerned with the TCH on the Avalon to bother.

For real tho, they should twin the TCH from Grand Falls-Windsor to Gambo and from Pasadena up to Deer Lake. There is probably sections near Clarenville and Stephenville as well as for a few KMs outside Channel-Port aux Basques to allow boat traffic to pass each other.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 10:53 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 1:34 PM

As Maritimers tend to do, I was thinking about the East-West Highway last night. While westerly portions of it remain up to the whims of Quebec and Maine remain impossible, I thought of something interesting.

Route 7 from Grand Bay to the Trans-Canada is roughly 40 miles. State Route 9/Airport Road from the I-395 in Bangor is roughly 80. I wonder if some kind of arrangement could be formed where Maine commits to upgrading 60 miles of SR9 as a mostly-controlled super-two (Bangor to Crawford), NB twins Route 7 (perhaps west of the base instead of through it), and NB pays for the 20 miles of Crawford-to-Calais SR 9 upgrades.

Completing this loop would put northern Maine much closer to Port Saint John, and Port Saint John closer to the I-95 AND the Trans Canada. In addition to the nearby rail upgrades, would this corridor be an economically viable, albeit mini, East-Really East Corridor? Plug Saint John into the Eastern Seaboard, and Maine into Saint John. No crazy roads through the wilderness to Sherbrooke or anything. That could come later.

Very few bridges, exits, overpasses, etc. would be needed, and SR 9 really doesn't justify a 4-lane true divided highway.

This would be a lot of new road, sure, but Nova Scotia twins tens of miles year to nowhere, just for the hell of it. It wouldn't be a highway to nowhere until the more pie-in-the-sky portions in parts west were built- it would have immediate economic utility.

I know this is a conversation had on here every couple years, but from searching, it seems to usually be focused on the whole grandiose E-W idea, and most of the discussion if from when Port Saint John was moribund, Halifax was almost flatlining, and the railways were in disrepair. There might be a real case for a more modest plan, these days.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 12:35 AM

Quote:
As Maritimers tend to do, I was thinking about the East-West Highway last night. While westerly portions of it remain up to the whims of Quebec and Maine remain impossible, I thought of something interesting.

Route 7 from Grand Bay to the Trans-Canada is roughly 40 miles. State Route 9/Airport Road from the I-395 in Bangor is roughly 80. I wonder if some kind of arrangement could be formed where Maine commits to upgrading 60 miles of SR9 as a mostly-controlled super-two (Bangor to Crawford), NB twins Route 7 (perhaps west of the base instead of through it), and NB pays for the 20 miles of Crawford-to-Calais SR 9 upgrades.

Completing this loop would put northern Maine much closer to Port Saint John, and Port Saint John closer to the I-95 AND the Trans Canada. In addition to the nearby rail upgrades, would this corridor be an economically viable, albeit mini, East-Really East Corridor? Plug Saint John into the Eastern Seaboard, and Maine into Saint John. No crazy roads through the wilderness to Sherbrooke or anything. That could come later.

Very few bridges, exits, overpasses, etc. would be needed, and SR 9 really doesn't justify a 4-lane true divided highway.

This would be a lot of new road, sure, but Nova Scotia twins tens of miles year to nowhere, just for the hell of it. It wouldn't be a highway to nowhere until the more pie-in-the-sky portions in parts west were built- it would have immediate economic utility.

I know this is a conversation had on here every couple years, but from searching, it seems to usually be focused on the whole grandiose E-W idea, and most of the discussion if from when Port Saint John was moribund, Halifax was almost flatlining, and the railways were in disrepair. There might be a real case for a more modest plan, these days.
What I would actually love to see is a highway along the coast where the elevation changes are not so drastic. It would travel east of Bangor along the coast first southeast to Ellsworth and then east on to Machias and Pembroke before turning north, going around the east side of Moosehorn wildlife reserve and connecting to the existing border crossing.

You would than have another highway extend south of Bangor to Belfast, Camden & Rockland before it would turn west roughly following the #1 from Wiscasset through Bath & Brunswick.

You could number it 1-95 to Bangor and than south along the new alignment and through downtown Portland and have a new interstate like I-98 go from Calais to Bangor and than follow the existing I-95 before heading west, south of Portland to Sanford, Rochester, NH, before meeting the terminus of 1-89 in Concord, NH.

You would than take this new I-98 and run it concurrently with 1-89 it met the I-91 where it would branch off continuing west to Rutland VT before ending in Glen Falls NY.

I-89 woukd than continue concurrently with I-93 before taking the existing I-293 route west of Manchester, NH before continuing on the turnpike, US route 3. It would follow the I-495 concurrently, west before taking the I-290/I-395 route to New London.

I always thought New England had way to many spur routes like 295, 395, 495, 190, 290 etc. when there was actual full interstate highways that just ended. Like I-84 but there is no interstate from Hartford to Providence. Like I-93 stopping in Boston but south of Boston there is several state highways up to standard plus several spurs of 1-95.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 1:21 AM

Quote:
You would than have another highway extend south of Bangor to Belfast, Camden & Rockland before it would turn west roughly following the #1 from Wiscasset through Bath & Brunswick.
I can buy into the benefit of connecting I-95 to the border crossing at Calais, but this just sounds like a colossal waste of money to me.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I can buy into the benefit of connecting I-95 to the border crossing at Calais, but this just sounds like a colossal waste of money to me.
If you do it along the coast, there is a lot more benefit, as people actually live along the coast. The traffic to Ellsworth is actually pretty heavy as well, as Acadia nation park is located nearby and that’s the only way to get there.

There is approximately 87,000 people living Washington & Hancock counties, add in the tourists and the Canadians who would use the highway, and it starts to make alot of sense.

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Oct 10, 2023 at 2:15 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 12:24 PM

It's also 30 miles longer to use a coastal route... 40 if you parallel US 1. US 1 is almost explicitly scenic, and Downeast may not be too keen on a freeway for that reason. I was thinking more about commercial traffic and an I-95 connection that doesn't require following a country road through wilderness.

There's ample opportunity to upgrade 3-4 state roads running perpendicular to SRs 1 and 9 and connect the two. But my plan was more about 'what is the cheapest, lightest-lift, most economically rational, way for Saint John to access the I-95, and for the Maine economy to access our port?'

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 12:51 PM

Somewhat related: a gigantic and fascinating history of the origins and community of SR-9. Wow. https://www.mainething.com/alexander...NE%20ROAD.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces