HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 10:29 PM

Pictures from last night: (From Empty Seats Galore)
https://twitter.com/MattCundill/stat...298689/photo/1
https://twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics/s...197889/photo/3

Pictures from NFL Preseason game last night in Miami (with tickets as low as $5)
https://twitter.com/davidcanter/stat...689856/photo/1

Pictures from Cincinnati (again tickets were as low as $5)
https://twitter.com/DonkeyBoner43/st...872000/photo/1

Checking out Tickets Prices via Ticket resellers)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/schedule

Tampa: $33 (most expensive cheapest tickets)
Minnesota: $18
Detroit: $9
Los Angeles Chargers: $6
New York Jets: $2 (Couldn't find $2 tickets, lowest ticket price was $4)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:51 AM
BANNED

I cannot believe nobody has posted in this thread for two weeks. The Bombers almost managed to sneak out a victory in Regina, without their two best offensive players.

Not sure if Nichols can lead us to the Grey Cup, but I will be rooting for the Big Blue!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:19 PM

^ I guess it depends on whether or not Nichols actually comes back this season... I guess the Bombers don't want to say anything prematurely but it's hard to ignore the rumours.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:20 PM

I've been mulling this over and honestly, what if the Bombers go all in on the ground game with Streveler at the helm? Straight up wishbone offence, put in Harris and Augustine at the same time with Miller lining up at FB.

(OK, maybe the results wouldn't be that great, but I still wanna see it)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:07 PM

With the play calling last week/Strevler's on-field decision changes he is going to be lucky to last six weeks and not be on IR himself. Streveler is getting hit far too often for that to be a sustainable long term strategy.

The Bombers are now backed into a massive corner for the coming week and it a straight up must-win game. If they lose this week the lose the season series to the Riders and give up first place in the west for the first time this season. It is unlikely the Bombers are going to pull out a win in Regina in October so that means they would need 3 wins v other teams and 2 Rider loses v other teams to regain the bye to the western final. There is also near zero chance the Bombers could win the semi-final at home and go into Regina for the western final and leave with the win.

Even if the stars are magically align and the Bombers make it to the Cup somehow it really does not feel like their year as they would likely lineup v the Tiger Cats, aka the same team that ended their unbeaten streak earlier this season.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:12 PM

^ If Nichols and Harris are both back (I realize Nichols is doubtful, but still) I don't see why the Bombers couldn't beat Sask on October 5. After all, they were without them and came within a hair of winning on Sunday.

I think Streveler can excel by running liberally, but he can't be option A all the time. That's why I was thinking a loaded backfield could provide some options and more blocking help.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ If Nichols and Harris are both back (I realize Nichols is doubtful, but still) I don't see why the Bombers couldn't beat Sask on October 5. After all, they were without them and came within a hair of winning on Sunday.

I think Streveler can excel by running liberally, but he can't be option A all the time. That's why I was thinking a loaded backfield could provide some options and more blocking help.
It could be a flashback to the 50s and 60s, when Bomber running backs (including Leo Lewis) and Ploen would combine for 150 - 200 yards rushing while Ploen would pass for 125 - 150 yards. On a serious note, I think that could work for some games (particularly in adverse weather conditions) but would not be a viable long-term solution in today's CFL.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 12:37 PM

^ It could be worth a shot, though... even Paul Friesen agrees with my take per today's column in the Sun

Quote:
A total of 17 points and 161 yards through the air won’t win you many games in the land of three downs and the wide field.

But that’s probably as many points as this team can expect without touchdowns from the defence or special teams.

The level of production was actually a monumental increase from Streveler’s first start, in which he accrued 89 yards through the air, or about as much real estate as Bombers coach Mike O’Shea covered in his post-game tete-a-tete with Riders boss Craig Dickenson.

More on that later.

Perhaps it’s time for Coach LaPo to toss most of the passing plays into the trash can, switch to the Wing-T formation and just pound the ball 50 times a game.

Especially after Harris returns.

Nichols isn’t coming back any time soon – there are whispers around the league he could miss most of what’s left of the regular season.

So why ask Streveler to be something he’s not?
https://winnipegsun.com/sports/footb...o-long-snapper

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 3:03 PM

Impressive Banjo Bowl win! I was very pleased to see some more passing introduced into Strevler's attack, to good effectiveness. I honestly couldn't understand some previous comments immediately reducing Strevler to a "run only" QB when he showed a good arm his first year in the league. Just conjecture of course, but maybe Bomber staff realized he needed a couple more starts under his belt before they gave him too big a package of passing plays? Whatever the reason, it will make him much more dangerous to the opposition.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 5:08 PM

Streveler had some really nice passes, but it's his extreme effectiveness with the run that opened up some of those passing lanes. He is such a threat carrying the ball that the Riders were always looking over their shoulder in expectation of him taking off. That opening TD drive was a direct result of his runs.

The crazy thing is that his passing game will only improve with all these reps, so he has the potential to go from being a very effective albeit somewhat one dimensional QB to a double threat. I know I'm gushing like a fanboy here but I think I'm more excited about Streveler than any Bomber QB since Dunigan, or maybe Jones.

Anyway, amazing afternoon as always at the Banjo Bowl. It's like Christmas for a Bomber fan... the atmosphere is always electric. The only thing in Winnipeg that compares are Jets playoff games. I wish every Bomber game could be like the Banjo Bowl...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 1:42 AM

How the H did Gainey not get a penalty for taunting the Bombers. He is as disgrace to the game and the province he represents on the field. The referees this year are a very bad joke.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:59 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
How the H did Gainey not get a penalty for taunting the Bombers. He is as disgrace to the game and the province he represents on the field. The referees this year are a very bad joke.
On the bright side him getting burned giving up touchdowns was like half of the CFL highlights package.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Streveler had some really nice passes, but it's his extreme effectiveness with the run that opened up some of those passing lanes. He is such a threat carrying the ball that the Riders were always looking over their shoulder in expectation of him taking off. That opening TD drive was a direct result of his runs.

The crazy thing is that his passing game will only improve with all these reps, so he has the potential to go from being a very effective albeit somewhat one dimensional QB to a double threat. I know I'm gushing like a fanboy here but I think I'm more excited about Streveler than any Bomber QB since Dunigan, or maybe Jones.

Anyway, amazing afternoon as always at the Banjo Bowl. It's like Christmas for a Bomber fan... the atmosphere is always electric. The only thing in Winnipeg that compares are Jets playoff games. I wish every Bomber game could be like the Banjo Bowl...
It looked like a lot of fun there (except for the score of course!) My son and I went there about 3 years ago and had a great time.

Hope you guys can give the Stamps a run for their money this year.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BixBeiderbecke View Post
An outstanding win for the Big Blue. This is going to be the year they bring home the bacon.
This sounds like 2007...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
It looked like a lot of fun there (except for the score of course!) My son and I went there about 3 years ago and had a great time.

Hope you guys can give the Stamps a run for their money this year.
Thank you for the gracious comments. It's a refreshing change from usual insipid taunts fans from both teams have been known to hurl.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:38 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
This sounds like 2007...
It's gotta happen eventually!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Thank you for the gracious comments. It's a refreshing change from usual insipid taunts fans from both teams have been known to hurl.
5 years ago I'd be unable to sleep for a couple of days and would also be hurling insults via keyboard punches. Now any worry about the outcome of a game dissipates about 1 minute after the final whistle and I stay away from the fan sites for about 2 days to allow the craziness to go away.

Not giving a fuck has increased my enjoyment of watching sports by a factor of 10!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:10 PM

I was away at an annual golf event with a bunch of Winnipeg guys and we were on the course during the game. I've never been so happy to not be able to watch the Banjo Bowl. There was some ribbing after the game, but luckily I'd been unusually quiet about it prior to the game and hadn't been beaking them like I usually do at this event.

I agree with VANRIDERFAN that it's likely to be a showdown between the Bombers and the Stamps for first in the West. I honestly feel it would be better to finish 4th in the West than 3rd and then take the trip out to the East playoffs.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I agree with VANRIDERFAN that it's likely to be a showdown between the Bombers and the Stamps for first in the West. I honestly feel it would be better to finish 4th in the West than 3rd and then take the trip out to the East playoffs.
Everyone says this but the fact that no crossover team has made it to the GC is telling. Let's face it, if you're crossing over you're probably not that great a team to begin with, and as much as a sad sack as the eastern div can be, there is always at least one legitimately solid team out there and this year it happens to be Hamilton.

But getting back to the Banjo Bowl, I get the impression that the Rider fans had fun despite the loss. It's a friendly rivalry and everyone is there for a good time. I even chuckled at the clever Andrew Harris-themed sign that humorless security seized from some Rider fans.

I get that the Bombers want to stoke the rivalry fires to keep the Banjo Bowl sellout streak alive, but honestly I wish they'd turn down the social media rhetoric a little bit.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:

I get that the Bombers want to stoke the rivalry fires to keep the Banjo Bowl sellout streak alive, but honestly I wish they'd turn down the social media rhetoric a little bit.
It's not just the Bombers that want to stoke the rivalry by a long shot. The Labour Day game is a HUGE event in Regina, larger than many folks in Winnipeg can imagine. Of course, trying to create a sense of urgency and excitement about sports events is a big part of bringing in money for tickets, merchandise, hotel rooms and restaurant meals (not to mention beer sales). In a way it's all very contrived, but in the big picture, all sports fandom is contrived, so it is what it is.

However, I agree with VANRIDERFAN: "Not giving a fuck has increased my enjoyment of watching sports by a factor of 10". No-one lives or dies by the result of a football game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan